Scott kelly: Nasa twins study confirms astronaut's dna actually changed in space

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Astronaut Scott Kelly’s DNA was altered by a year in space, results from NASA’s Twins Study have confirmed. Seven percent of his genes did not return to normal after he landed, researchers found.

Scott Kelly and his twin brother, Mark Kelly—also an astronaut—were the subjects of the study that sought to find out exactly what happens to the body after a year in space.

Scott stayed on the International Space Station from March 2015 to March 2016, while Mark remained on Earth. This was the final mission for Scott, who spent a total of 520 days in space during his career.
http://www.newsweek.com/scott-kelly-astronauts-nasa-dna-838535

https://twitter.com/abc/status/972620001340346368

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
And that is why space travel is so difficult and dangerous. Too many people have watches sci-fi and think we just need to through a bunch of astronauts into a rocket and send them to Mars and don’t realize the “little” things like radiation and what 0 gravity does to the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I read an article about the same twins and I thought that after a while back on earth, his DNA started to return to normal.
Maybe I misread that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I read an article about the same twins and I thought that after a while back on earth, his DNA started to return to normal.
Maybe I misread that.
Time will tell...

"After landing, 93 percent of Scott Kelly’s genes returned to normal, the researchers found. The altered 7 percent, however, could indicate long-term changes in genes connected to the immune system, DNA repair, bone formation networks, oxygen deprivation and elevated carbon dioxide levels."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Time will tell...

"After landing, 93 percent of Scott Kelly’s genes returned to normal, the researchers found. The altered 7 percent, however, could indicate long-term changes in genes connected to the immune system, DNA repair, bone formation networks, oxygen deprivation and elevated carbon dioxide levels."
That's weird. I would not have thought that DNA would change depending on the environment.
But what do I know?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.