Memphis Belle Moves to Wright-Pat AFB

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maybe a Memphian can explain why.
The city had her on public display, out in the weather, and she was not maintained and suffered from vandals stealing instruments, etc. Memphis donated the plane back to the ** which allowed her to stay in Memphis if she was maintained - she was not. The ** grew tired of Memphis not handling it properly and took it to Ohio for restoration.

Memphis had every chance and blew it. I suspect if they had her back she'd be well cared for now, but there were decades of horrible management in Memphis that will take some time to climb out of.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Wish I has visited Wright-Pat.

http://www.nationalmuseum.**.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/

The Roswell UFO and the Alien Engineering section are not open to the public.

http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/6-urban-legends-about-wright-patterson-air-force-base
I was visiting friends in that part of Ohio a year ago and we went to Wright-Pat. It is an excellent museum. It has most American military planes you can think of, and even has some excellent foreign pieces (a Messerschmitt Bf-190 and a Japanese Zero).
Well worth a visit.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
The city had her on public display, out in the weather, and she was not maintained and suffered from vandals stealing instruments, etc. Memphis donated the plane back to the ** which allowed her to stay in Memphis if she was maintained - she was not. The ** grew tired of Memphis not handling it properly and took it to Ohio for restoration.
Memphis had every chance and blew it. I suspect if they had her back she'd be well cared for now, but there were decades of horrible management in Memphis that will take some time to climb out of.
There's no way Memphis changes their tune.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Strickland has more pressing issues in Memphis than keeping thugs from vandalizing an airplane.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Indeed, but the city is in far better hands than it was under the corruption-laden mayors of the previous decades.
I'll give you that, but they are one election away from being in the same situation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Wright-Patterson is a great visit if you are in the Dayton area. The museum is FREE and takes several hours to go through. I'd encourage anyone to visit. For many years, we took an entire grade level for a field trip in May. My dad, served in Korea and I took him for a tour.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Wright-Patterson is a great visit if you are in the Dayton area. The museum is FREE and takes several hours to go through. I'd encourage anyone to visit. For many years, we took an entire grade level for a field trip in May. My dad, served in Korea and I took him for a tour.
It's a great experience and you need an entire day to see it all. Go during a weekday in the off season (not summer) and it's usually not crowded.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Strickland has more pressing issues in Memphis than keeping thugs from vandalizing an airplane.
If the other issues are so pressing that the city can't maintain a national treasure entrusted to their care, they should give it to someone who can....Which they did, just several years too late.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Happy to know where it is and I'll try to see it also, if I get up that way. I had an older brother who spent 35 missions in one as a navigator. I did say "35." Although the Belle was pulled back to the states as the first heavy bomber to successfully complete a 25 mission tour of duty, the ** kept moving the goalposts in late '43 and early '44, building up to the invasion. My brother got caught up in that cycle. He had only a 25% chance of surviving the 25 missions. IDK what the odds were on 35. I remember his saying his wing suffered 300% casualties over the war. I've had people question how that's possible. The answer is that replacements of replacements kept getting wounded and killed. Also, some positions, tail and turret gunners, for example had much higher rates of casualties, for several reasons. His plane lost some of them. One general practice, according to my brother, was "midnight requisition" of flak jackets. The interior crew, excluding the pilot and co-pilot, of course, would then line their compartments with flak jackets. Probably added materially to the weight... :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.