The Season So Far and Where Bama Baseball is Headed from Here

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I'm not holding my breath on a regional, but making Hoover would/should/could be a realistic goal at this point, IMO. Looking at our remaining schedule, most of the series look winnable now whereas 2 months ago, I was concerned with just avoiding being swept.

Two things I am concerned with though going forward with a little bit of hope. It's no secret that the main reason we have won the last two weekends is because of outstanding pitching (which was a BIG question mark coming into the, so that's been nice), but looking at Finnerty on Friday, he's got a very high BAA of .317. IMO it's impressive that he's been able to keep his ERA ~3.00 while having that, which means he does a good job of spreading out the hits. On the plus side, Jake has been outstanding since SEC-play started, and the combo of Rukes/Cameron on Sunday has been solid as well.

The second thing that concerns me is the offense. We have scored less than 5 runs in 11 of the last 12 games. As a team, we've hit plus-.300 in just 3 of the 15 games since SEC play started, and have hit sub-.200 in 7 of them.

CT and Holcombe are hitting .182 and .132 in all games since SEC play started and have seen their averages drop to .220 and .264, respectively. So I guess, looking big picture, it's great that we've been able to win 4 of the last 7 (most importantly the two SEC series wins) with those two hitting .115 and .095 during that stretch, but we need to get those two going. Those obviously aren't the only two guys who have been struggling offensively the last few weeks, but I'd argue they're two of the more important ones.

Our typical 2-6 hitters (Breaux (14 Ks in 42 ABs), Avant (5 Ks in 46 ABs), CT (14 Ks in 44 ABs), Alexander (18 Ks in 38 ABs), Holcombe (11 Ks in 45 ABs)) have a combined 62 strikeouts. If you take out Avant's numbers, they're striking out in 1/3 of their at-bats. That's WAY too many for the heart of our order.

Hopefully, this post doesn't sound too negative. That wasn't my intent, because while these issues exist, I am still encouraged by the fact that we've been able to win the last two series with all of those issues present, and that if we can get some of these fixed, there's real hope for some kind of postseason play this year.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I'm not holding my breath on a regional, but making Hoover would/should/could be a realistic goal at this point, IMO. Looking at our remaining schedule, most of the series look winnable now whereas 2 months ago, I was concerned with just avoiding being swept.

Two things I am concerned with though going forward with a little bit of hope. It's no secret that the main reason we have won the last two weekends is because of outstanding pitching (which was a BIG question mark coming into the, so that's been nice), but looking at Finnerty on Friday, he's got a very high BAA of .317. IMO it's impressive that he's been able to keep his ERA ~3.00 while having that, which means he does a good job of spreading out the hits. On the plus side, Jake has been outstanding since SEC-play started, and the combo of Rukes/Cameron on Sunday has been solid as well.

The second thing that concerns me is the offense. We have scored less than 5 runs in 11 of the last 12 games. As a team, we've hit plus-.300 in just 3 of the 15 games since SEC play started, and have hit sub-.200 in 7 of them.

CT and Holcombe are hitting .182 and .132 in all games since SEC play started and have seen their averages drop to .220 and .264, respectively. So I guess, looking big picture, it's great that we've been able to win 4 of the last 7 (most importantly the two SEC series wins) with those two hitting .115 and .095 during that stretch, but we need to get those two going. Those obviously aren't the only two guys who have been struggling offensively the last few weeks, but I'd argue they're two of the more important ones.

Our typical 2-6 hitters (Breaux (14 Ks in 42 ABs), Avant (5 Ks in 46 ABs), CT (14 Ks in 44 ABs), Alexander (18 Ks in 38 ABs), Holcombe (11 Ks in 45 ABs)) have a combined 62 strikeouts. If you take out Avant's numbers, they're striking out in 1/3 of their at-bats. That's WAY too many for the heart of our order.

Hopefully, this post doesn't sound too negative. That wasn't my intent, because while these issues exist, I am still encouraged by the fact that we've been able to win the last two series with all of those issues present, and that if we can get some of these fixed, there's real hope for some kind of postseason play this year.
Good post. I knew the middle of the order was struggling but didn't think it was quite that rough until you see it spelled out. Hope/think it's more mental than potential- based.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Side question. Does anybody know the status of Brock Love? He hasn't made an appearance in a while. Hoping that doesn't mean he's had a setback in his rehab.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I just came here to ask the same question. Also, wasn't Medders supposed to be a starter? When Rukes was starting the middies we were doing well. Gardner appears to be struggling mightily in his last several starts, including tonight.

Rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I just came here to ask the same question. Also, wasn't Medders supposed to be a starter? When Rukes was starting the middies we were doing well. Gardner appears to be struggling mightily in his last several starts, including tonight.

Rtr
Gardner always seems to have a rough stretch in every game he pitches. I think he's a mostly serviceable midweek starter once he gets through that stretch.

I'd like to see Medders in the starting rotation at some point, but at the same time, he's been absolutely crucial when coming in in the late innigs to close the games out. Kind of an "if it ain't broke..." type of thing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Judging from the Sunday loss in Texas, the Samford game, and six innings tonight, someone has been storing our bats in a freezer somewhere. Doesn't bode well for the Aunburn series or the final 16 or so games left on the schedule.

Rtr

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
Rivalry series. Anything possible. Even with a team conference batting avg of .232. Friday night might not be so good V Casey Mize but we should be competitive enough Sat and Sun.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Rivalry series. Anything possible. Even with a team conference batting avg of .232. Friday night might not be so good V Casey Mize but we should be competitive enough Sat and Sun.
Brutal weekend. Reminded me of the Goff fiasco.... Just got to put it behind them and move on. Maybe Arky will overlook us this weekend...

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Brutal weekend. Reminded me of the Goff fiasco.... Just got to put it behind them and move on. Maybe Arky will overlook us this weekend...
I don't think Arky will overlook us. They are coming off a terrible weekend getting swept by State.They will probably be using us to make a statement to show everyone this weekend was a fluke for them. It could be another ugly weekend for us.

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
Goff fiasco? This team was supposed to be much improved in terms of hitting. This is a heavy laden group of upperclassmen. They are putting a lot of pressure on an already weakened pitching staff with the loss of Love, Potter and the like. This coaching staff isn't completely blameless. Can't put it all on the kids.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Much improved? How? These are nearly exactly the same group of players from last year. It is a group severely lacking in talent. They are last in the SEC for a reason. Gaspard and Goff set this program back 5 years. I had some hope after winning the Kentucky and Missouri series but reality has come around very quickly. We have relief pitchers that have no business being on a SEC roster. This coaching staff inherited a nightmare. Although this weekend was the most embarrassing series maybe ever for Alabama.
Goff fiasco? This team was supposed to be much improved in terms of hitting. This is a heavy laden group of upperclassmen. They are putting a lot of pressure on an already weakened pitching staff with the loss of Love, Potter and the like. This coaching staff isn't completely blameless. Can't put it all on the kids.

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
The EXPECTATION was that they would have improved at the plate since they were more seasoned particularly since they are upperclassmen.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Who on our roster would start at Auburn? Or at any other SEC school? I hate talking ugly about the players, but CBB can look kids and their parents in the eye and offer immediate playing time across the board. This is going to take some time, and we are just going to have to deal with it.

Rtr

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
You have to possess a certain talent level to improve- and this group sadly is just not talented enough to make any improvements.They have maxed out. It is just the reality.
The EXPECTATION was that they would have improved at the plate since they were more seasoned particularly since they are upperclassmen.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
You have to possess a certain talent level to improve- and this group sadly is just not talented enough to make any improvements.They have maxed out. It is just the reality.
Unfortunately, I think this is correct. It's going to take a couple of years to really get through the last 2 years of Gasphard and the disaster of Goof.

I do think we have a solid, if unspectacular, young core to build on in the future with Praytor, Greene, Guffey, and Medders. Rukes and Love have/had potential, IMO, hopefully TJ surgery or any potential setbacks don't rob them of it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.