The Season So Far and Where Bama Baseball is Headed from Here

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
It's early in the career of our new coach but so far (in the small sample we have) we appear to be getting it together. We may hit somewhat of a wall when we get into SEC play but looking back on the past several seasons our offensive production was nowhere near this (overall) against supposed inferior competition.
I hope the coach can instill a winning attitude and continue to make progress towards being consistently competitive again.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
It's too early, but there is no denying at all that we have exceeded any expectations anyone could have had. We are drawing walks. We are not committing physical or mental errors. These are things that help you win close games. And a big part of that is the guys buying in.

I said in an earlier thread that our rpi of around #20, and our SoS of #100, could easily be reversed by the time the year ends, but the glimpse we have seen of what CBB brings to the table should give all of us hope that we can be competitive and respectable this year, and even better for the future.

rtr

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Rough day today, and it seems like it is taking our guys a trip or two through the order before they get comfortable.

Need tomorrow's game.

Rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Definitely playing like they enjoy the game and are having fun. Remind me a little of the 1995 team. New manager with new attitude.

I’m in Athens and B-ham for work this week, gonna try to catch the game today and possibly at UAB Tuesday, weather permitting.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Right now it looks like a repeat of last year, but with CBB's experience on the recruiting trail there is hope that we will get better pretty quickly. A couple of years ago the Aubs were where we are now. I am keeping my chin up and hope the boys are, as well.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
The optimist in me says that one thing to keep in mind during this stretch is how we are this close to having some of these games go the other way. Seriously, we've left a ton of RISP with less than 2 outs in the last 2 weeks. We also haven't been getting 2-out hits with the same frequency that we were earlier in the year. We've also made a few errors at critical times.

If Vance makes a clean throw on an admittedly tough play, we get out of Knoxville with a win.

If we cut down 2-out walks, we might get out with 2 wins.

If we improve our at-bats with bases loaded and one or no outs, we probably get 2 (or 3) wins against UGA. And that's not even mentioning our having given up 4+ runs in the first inning of each of those games.

That said, this really serves to emphasize that this team's margin for error is razor-thin. We can't afford to be making errors on routine plays in the late innings. We can't afford to not​ get runs in bases loaded situations. We can't afford to walk guys with 2-outs. We can't afford to not do the little things that help win games. If we get a runner to 3rd with 1 or 0 outs, we have to be able to get him in.

IMO, this is a pretty mentally weak team and the jury is still out on whether the players currently on the team have the mental fortitude to do this.

Last edited:

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
Ironically, we were so worried about the pitching and didn't see the bats going flat.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Hello Bama Baseball Fans! I have been way too busy to post on here lately, but I have been able to see most of the home games so far. Here is my take: Although there is some talent on this team, there just isn't enough there to be a serious contender in the SEC. In this league, you have to have a ton of talent to be in that category. Cecil Hurt wrote a column in the Tuscaloosa News just before the season started in which he said that, as fans, we needed to temper our expectations for this season and realize that we are going to take our lumps along the way. He also said that we need to support the team and enjoy it when we do win. I think that is good advice. I just don't see us making much noise in the conference.

Now the good news: We have a guy in charge who seems to get it and is able to play to our strengths. He seems to be a good guy that the players like playing for. That will help with recruiting. He seems to be willing to make changes in the lineup and give guys chances to perform under the lights. That will help with recruiting. He knows the SEC and the natural recruiting areas for us. That will help with recruiting. He has a history of being a great recruiter. That will help with recruiting. The players seem to be enjoying themselves on the field and do not appear to be miserable like they were last year. That will help with recruiting. Do you see a theme here? The simple fact is that we have to recruit and bring in talent to be competitive in the SEC. It looks like CBB is laying the groundwork necessary to be able to do so. While I am not very optimistic about this year, I can't help but think the future is bright. ROLL TIDE!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Hello Bama Baseball Fans! I have been way too busy to post on here lately, but I have been able to see most of the home games so far. Here is my take: Although there is some talent on this team, there just isn't enough there to be a serious contender in the SEC. In this league, you have to have a ton of talent to be in that category. Cecil Hurt wrote a column in the Tuscaloosa News just before the season started in which he said that, as fans, we needed to temper our expectations for this season and realize that we are going to take our lumps along the way. He also said that we need to support the team and enjoy it when we do win. I think that is good advice. I just don't see us making much noise in the conference.

Now the good news: We have a guy in charge who seems to get it and is able to play to our strengths. He seems to be a good guy that the players like playing for. That will help with recruiting. He seems to be willing to make changes in the lineup and give guys chances to perform under the lights. That will help with recruiting. He knows the SEC and the natural recruiting areas for us. That will help with recruiting. He has a history of being a great recruiter. That will help with recruiting. The players seem to be enjoying themselves on the field and do not appear to be miserable like they were last year. That will help with recruiting. Do you see a theme here? The simple fact is that we have to recruit and bring in talent to be competitive in the SEC. It looks like CBB is laying the groundwork necessary to be able to do so. While I am not very optimistic about this year, I can't help but think the future is bright. ROLL TIDE!
Agree 100%... Mitch and Goff left Bo with minimal talent. The good news is from attending the 3rd game of the UGA series the players seem positive and bought in. Talking to a former player, the current group believe in Bo and have their heads up trying to improve every day. Gonna be hard to be much more than a bottom 3 team in the SEC but, brighter days are ahead!

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
You guys think we are finally going to have a top fight baseball team?
It will happen in time. Not necessarily what Florida is currently but in a couple fo hears we will top 15 team consistently I think. Hopefully I am surprised but but there is more competition in college baseball than any other college sport.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Another awesome Friday pitching performance today. We have equaled last year's win total by early April, so that is a positive.

This is going to take some time, but indications are that Coach Bo can move us forward and back to competing for regionals every year. I still have that dream of sitting in Omaha watching us play.

Rtr

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Another awesome Friday pitching performance today. We have equaled last year's win total by early April, so that is a positive.

This is going to take some time, but indications are that Coach Bo can move us forward and back to competing for regionals every year. I still have that dream of sitting in Omaha watching us play.

Rtr
I agree this team does have some grit and who knows we may win enough this year to slip into regionals, I know it is probably a longshot.But the next couple of years do look promising.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'd say we have a good shot at a regional the way things are looking right now and that would probably be considered a miracle after what happened last year.:biga2:

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
.500 in the league is still possible, though we've played the weaker side of it. If only a couple of those one run games went our way... We're pretty good at getting on base but struggle hitting with runners in scoring position. We're unquestionably better than last year, and getting out of that mess was the biggest objective this year, regional or not.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Our rpi is in the 40's, but the schedule only gets tougher. Right now I am just thrilled to have won two series, back to back.

I was watching USCe and UK yesterday while following the Tide on Twitter, and this guy said that he had this upper tier of post season teams, those who may host regionals. Then he had a second tier who he thought locks for the post season. He had UK and Mizzou in that group.

Rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
.500 in the league is still possible, though we've played the weaker side of it. If only a couple of those one run games went our way... We're pretty good at getting on base but struggle hitting with runners in scoring position. We're unquestionably better than last year, and getting out of that mess was the biggest objective this year, regional or not.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I haven't been able to follow like I did the past few years but, it appears the SEC is down as a conference this year. 9 of the 14 teams are at or below .500 this year. A lot of parity which means we could finish close to .500 in conference. Unfortunately, the SEC may only get 7 teams in a regional. We currently would be the 10 seed. Typically to get an at large bid you need to be top 30's or better in RPI. IIRC 2 years ago we were around 40-45 and got left out.

Just getting out of the ditch Goff dug is a huge positive.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
At this point I don't think many of us realistically expect a regional. We just want progress, and at least in this first half we are seeing that.

Hard to believe that Goff's 'destroy the program so I can rebuild it in my image' deal gets bought anywhere, there he had done it successfully at two other schools.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.