Bama Fan Reactions CFP Final Play

TD10

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2009
The rule allowing a player to go pro after 3 years has probably benefited Saban and Alabama. For example, if you had Ingram, J.Jones, and Dareus returning in 2011 they would have been even more formidable, but some of the future recruits that chose Alabama probably would not have. You would have a backlog of talent with not enough playing time for the 5-star and 4++-star younger players. The roster with everyone staying for four years would probably involve two strata = some 5-star and 4++-star talent and a lot of 3-stars making up the majority of the team. This, therefore, has benefited rather than hindered Saban, who does deserve a lot of credit for so expertly utilizing the system as it exists. Some would say they would all have chosen Alabama anyway, but I doubt it. You would likely have a multiplier effect to the Kamara and Bobby Brown situations.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The rule allowing a player to go pro after 3 years has probably benefited Saban and Alabama. For example, if you had Ingram, J.Jones, and Dareus returning in 2011 they would have been even more formidable, but some of the future recruits that chose Alabama probably would not have. You would have a backlog of talent with not enough playing time for the 5-star and 4++-star younger players. The roster with everyone staying for four years would probably involve two strata = some 5-star and 4++-star talent and a lot of 3-stars making up the majority of the team. This, therefore, has benefited rather than hindered Saban, who does deserve a lot of credit for so expertly utilizing the system as it exists. Some would say they would all have chosen Alabama anyway, but I doubt it. You would likely have a multiplier effect to the Kamara and Bobby Brown situations.
Well, we still have problems on that front.

We no longer have the legendary depth of 2011-2013. It's gone.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I only watched parts of a couple of Saints' games this season but each time, it was mentioned that Kamara couldn't crack the starting lineup at Bama...
Seemed to me that he just lacked the patience to get there. He was a good player but wanted to step in front of some guys he was behind on the depth charts without, presumably, earning the spot. I could be totally off base, but that is how it looked to me.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Seemed to me that he just lacked the patience to get there. He was a good player but wanted to step in front of some guys he was behind on the depth charts without, presumably, earning the spot. I could be totally off base, but that is how it looked to me.
I totally agree with that. However, it doesn't make as good a sound bite on the air as the way the announcers put it... :)

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Absolutely correct, but it is the qualifier of "Saban and Alabama" that makes it so. Alabama is a recruiting tool in itself, but coupled with Saban it becomes even more formidable. Saban is aware of his abilities and is a master of managing personnel. Where other coaches would be unable to resist redshirting a talented freshman when he has a good upperclassman in the same position, Saban will put them on the field to compete and immediately begin the plan for the next incarnation of that player to replace him. It is the same reason Saban will always give a draft eligible player the advice that benefits the player first, and not Saban's depth chart. Not every coach can honestly profess that.

TD10

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2009
I agree regarding "Saban and Alabama". Remarkable synergy. The Alabama name attracted Saban. The Saban name attracts recruits. The Saban name attracted Alabama. The Alabama name attracts recruits.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
This thread really went sideways, :smile:. I came hoping to see Bama fans celebrating and/or UGA fans crying...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Good point. I think there a couple of guys in that era of RBs which fell victim to this. So, when a discipline issue came up coach advised them to move along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
One could conceivably argue that one either way.

The Yankees dynasty was undercut by multiple things:
1) MLB expansion (began in 1961 and the Yankees constantly winning the WS ended in a 1-0 win over SF in 1962)
2) their own failure to integrate (they were one of the last teams to sign black players and even then they were tokens like Elston Howard)
3) television
4) the creation of the MLB draft in 1965
5) Charlie Finley buying the Kansas City Athletics, formerly a Yankee farm team (functionally anyway)

It's an interesting speculation, but I think the BEST evidence against a Yankee dynasty is what happened when free agency became the rule of the game. The Yankees won the WS in 77 and 78 - with a team that was mostly home grown except for Reggie Jackson. After that not only did we NOT have a repeat champion for 15 years but the only repeat division champions were:
1984-85 KC Royals
1988-89-90 Oakland A's
1991-92-93 Toronto Blue Jays
1990-91-92 Pittsburgh Pirates
1991-92-93-etc Atlanta Braves

And with the exception of the Braves, those teams were mostly home grown. The ONE free agent signing that was truly phenomenal by those teams was Oakland getting Rickey Henderson. Toronto and Atlanta showed a shift from home grown division dynasties to "win and THEN add players."

And while Lew Burdette might have been with the Yankees, would they also have had Whitey Ford (for example)? The proclaimed fear was that free agency would ruin competitive balance but just the opposite happened. A team that bought the RIGHT two players could win a title. The Yankees went out and got Dave Winfield, Ken Griffey, and Dave Collins.....and didn't win anything.

Without question and indeed my point.

I'm not dissing Coach Bryant but it was a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING.
People say that Bryant could recruit unlimited amount of players which made it easier for him to win those titles. What they don't mention is that everyone else could as well. When someone says he had it easier or it was different, I say its the same and was just as hard. He and everyone else played by the same rules in place then. Saban and everyone else are playing by the same rules that are in place now.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
People say that Bryant could recruit unlimited amount of players which made it easier for him to win those titles. What they don't mention is that everyone else could as well. When someone says he had it easier or it was different, I say its the same and was just as hard. He and everyone else played by the same rules in place then. Saban and everyone else are playing by the same rules that are in place now.
I agree. Bryant had the same rules that everyone else had during his days, and Saban has the same rules as everyone else in his time. We are just fortunate that they both had great runs at Bama. We would be fortunate to have had either one, but we had/have both, and they were/are the best of their generation. Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.