Bama Fan Reactions CFP Final Play

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
What a time we’re living in. Let’s all enjoy because what is being done and has been DONE will never be duplicated ever in any sport. RTR.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I had to watch a dozen more times. My favorite is the guy that jumps onto the coffee table.

I leaped so high I almost hit my head on the ceiling and I have vaulted ceilings.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Red Auerbach's Celtic and John Wooden's Bruins say hi.
Red Auerbach's Celtics played in an 18-team league with no free agency and were the sport's wealthiest franchise.

John Wooden's Bruins came from a time when keeping the same team together for three years was the norm.

The 1921-1964 New York Yankees played in a 16-team league where they had the most money, the minor league system was fractured, and there was no national MLB draft to offset the prospects they could find and buy.

I don't agree with the OP that this will never be done again (no way to know that), but Saban's accomplishments - given all he loses to the NFL every single year - dwarfs the rest.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Red Auerbach's Celtics played in an 18-team league with no free agency and were the sport's wealthiest franchise.

John Wooden's Bruins came from a time when keeping the same team together for three years was the norm.

The 1921-1964 New York Yankees played in a 16-team league where they had the most money, the minor league system was fractured, and there was no national MLB draft to offset the prospects they could find and buy.

I don't agree with the OP that this will never be done again (no way to know that), but Saban's accomplishments - given all he loses to the NFL every single year - dwarfs the rest.
You're 100% correct. As eras change, so change the standards of greatness. What Saban has been able to accomplish at Alabama is nothing less than astounding. It is a perfect storm in the sense that he could not (even as great as he is) have done the same anywhere else. Not at LSU had he stayed, not at Notre Dame, not at Texas, not anywhere. I think Coach Saban knew that, or at least had a strong feeling about it or he wouldn't have left Miami when he did. Even as great as this run has been, just look at what could have been, without a few last-minute heroics or fluke plays that went against Alabama. We could be talking about 7 titles in 9 seasons, or more. No, I won't say it will never be duplicated, but it won't ever become commonplace.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You're 100% correct. As eras change, so change the standards of greatness. What Saban has been able to accomplish at Alabama is nothing less than astounding. It is a perfect storm in the sense that he could not (even as great as he is) have done the same anywhere else. Not at LSU had he stayed, not at Notre Dame, not at Texas, not anywhere. I think Coach Saban knew that, or at least had a strong feeling about it or he wouldn't have left Miami when he did. Even as great as this run has been, just look at what could have been, without a few last-minute heroics or fluke plays that went against Alabama. We could be talking about 7 titles in 9 seasons, or more. No, I won't say it will never be duplicated, but it won't ever become commonplace.

When Nebraska won 3 titles in 4 years, it was an awesome accomplishment. Keep in mind that virtually all of the "stars" from 1994 (Frazier, Berringer, Phillips, Booker, et al) were back in 1995. But it was a great accomplishment.

Alabama winning 3 in 4 years was FAR more impressive, though - even though a span of less than two decades had gone by. Nebraska SHARED one of their titles and SHOULD HAVE shared a second one. They didn't play the "other best team" in two of their three title years. They did not play in a conference remotely resembling the SEC, although the 1995 Big Eight was pretty good. Alabama won three undisputed ON THE FIELD championships, beat THREE unbeaten teams (including one in what was basically a HOME game), and knocked off #1 twice. This during an era when they continually faced coaches (Chizik, Miles, Meyer) who had won national titles.

The same is true in the NFL. I hate the Cowboys but their 1992-95 dynasty (3 in 4) was a truly great feat. However, the Patriots doing the same a decade later with the advent of free agency (remember, all of the Cowboys' big stars were on all three title winners) was MUCH more impressive - even Troy Aikman, who was calling the game admitted that himself.

Nobody should think I'm trying to diss old champions in any sport, but the context of their times means everything.

The Yankees won MOST of those titles when there were 16 baseball teams, you didn't travel further West than St Louis, and there was no free agency. The Yankees of 1996-2000 was FAR more impressive because you have free agency, extra rounds of playoffs, and more games (among other factors).

The Steelers of the 1970s were a great team in a decade of great teams, but the fact is that when they won four in six years they were (mostly) the same team every single year. There were TWENTY-TWO players on Pittsburgh who won four rings. By contrast, only SIX 49ers had four rings during their nine-year run. The Patriots had 22 players win 3 rings in those 4 years.

And remember this....Alabama competes against 127 other teams just at the highest level. Granted, the talent diffuses upward but Alabama doesn't get the break of not having to face the other best team, especially now with a four-team playoff.

This is the most stunning run of any competitive sport in American history.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
When Nebraska won 3 titles in 4 years, it was an awesome accomplishment. Keep in mind that virtually all of the "stars" from 1994 (Frazier, Berringer, Phillips, Booker, et al) were back in 1995. But it was a great accomplishment.

Alabama winning 3 in 4 years was FAR more impressive, though - even though a span of less than two decades had gone by. Nebraska SHARED one of their titles and SHOULD HAVE shared a second one. They didn't play the "other best team" in two of their three title years. They did not play in a conference remotely resembling the SEC, although the 1995 Big Eight was pretty good. Alabama won three undisputed ON THE FIELD championships, beat THREE unbeaten teams (including one in what was basically a HOME game), and knocked off #1 twice. This during an era when they continually faced coaches (Chizik, Miles, Meyer) who had won national titles.

The same is true in the NFL. I hate the Cowboys but their 1992-95 dynasty (3 in 4) was a truly great feat. However, the Patriots doing the same a decade later with the advent of free agency (remember, all of the Cowboys' big stars were on all three title winners) was MUCH more impressive - even Troy Aikman, who was calling the game admitted that himself.

Nobody should think I'm trying to diss old champions in any sport, but the context of their times means everything.

The Yankees won MOST of those titles when there were 16 baseball teams, you didn't travel further West than St Louis, and there was no free agency. The Yankees of 1996-2000 was FAR more impressive because you have free agency, extra rounds of playoffs, and more games (among other factors).

The Steelers of the 1970s were a great team in a decade of great teams, but the fact is that when they won four in six years they were (mostly) the same team every single year. There were TWENTY-TWO players on Pittsburgh who won four rings. By contrast, only SIX 49ers had four rings during their nine-year run. The Patriots had 22 players win 3 rings in those 4 years.

And remember this....Alabama competes against 127 other teams just at the highest level. Granted, the talent diffuses upward but Alabama doesn't get the break of not having to face the other best team, especially now with a four-team playoff.

Well, since you put it that way, I'll need to watch both the Clemson and Georgia games again for the historical value.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017

I agree that Alabama is the leader in the clubhouse up to now. On the professional level, I sometimes think the free agency issue almost balances itself out, because it is there for all to utilize. The argument against it originally was that the wealthiest teams would simply buy the best players and dominate the rest, but it hasn't really happened that way. The luxury taxes imposed on those franchises have helped keep it in check, but if free agency had been around in the era of Ruth and Gehrig, the Yankees might have been even more dominant. Ted Williams in pinstripes might give some nightmares today, but it would have done more than that if it had happened for real. Lew Burdette would possibly have been winning 3 games for the Yanks in '57 instead of against them for the Braves. It's all speculation of course, but I think the early-departure rule in college football has had more impact. When a player can go pro 3 years out of high school, including a redshirt year, he can possibly only contribute 2 seasons on the field. That is where recruiting (and Saban is not only a student of it, but the master) is the key to continued success with consistency like Alabama has shown.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Red Auerbach's Celtic and John Wooden's Bruins say hi.
Their world was much, much easier than Saban's.

Edit: I didn't see the other relevant posts subsequent to the one to which I responded and prior to mine.

Another "proof" of the greatness of this run is that no other program has won more than once during these 9 years.

We can't "know" anything about the future, but it will be beyond shocking if anyone else even approaches what Saban has done in a 9/10/? period, assuming the rules and general circumstances remain the same. It would be surprising if someone just won 3 at one program in such a time frame. It's easier if one jumps around because it's so hard to maintain focus and motivation at one place.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I agree that Alabama is the leader in the clubhouse up to now. On the professional level, I sometimes think the free agency issue almost balances itself out, because it is there for all to utilize. The argument against it originally was that the wealthiest teams would simply buy the best players and dominate the rest, but it hasn't really happened that way.

The luxury taxes imposed on those franchises have helped keep it in check, but if free agency had been around in the era of Ruth and Gehrig, the Yankees might have been even more dominant. Ted Williams in pinstripes might give some nightmares today, but it would have done more than that if it had happened for real. Lew Burdette would possibly have been winning 3 games for the Yanks in '57 instead of against them for the Braves.
One could conceivably argue that one either way.

The Yankees dynasty was undercut by multiple things:
1) MLB expansion (began in 1961 and the Yankees constantly winning the WS ended in a 1-0 win over SF in 1962)
2) their own failure to integrate (they were one of the last teams to sign black players and even then they were tokens like Elston Howard)
3) television
4) the creation of the MLB draft in 1965
5) Charlie Finley buying the Kansas City Athletics, formerly a Yankee farm team (functionally anyway)

It's an interesting speculation, but I think the BEST evidence against a Yankee dynasty is what happened when free agency became the rule of the game. The Yankees won the WS in 77 and 78 - with a team that was mostly home grown except for Reggie Jackson. After that not only did we NOT have a repeat champion for 15 years but the only repeat division champions were:
1984-85 KC Royals
1988-89-90 Oakland A's
1991-92-93 Toronto Blue Jays
1990-91-92 Pittsburgh Pirates
1991-92-93-etc Atlanta Braves

And with the exception of the Braves, those teams were mostly home grown. The ONE free agent signing that was truly phenomenal by those teams was Oakland getting Rickey Henderson. Toronto and Atlanta showed a shift from home grown division dynasties to "win and THEN add players."

And while Lew Burdette might have been with the Yankees, would they also have had Whitey Ford (for example)? The proclaimed fear was that free agency would ruin competitive balance but just the opposite happened. A team that bought the RIGHT two players could win a title. The Yankees went out and got Dave Winfield, Ken Griffey, and Dave Collins.....and didn't win anything.

It's all speculation of course, but I think the early-departure rule in college football has had more impact. When a player can go pro 3 years out of high school, including a redshirt year, he can possibly only contribute 2 seasons on the field. That is where recruiting (and Saban is not only a student of it, but the master) is the key to continued success with consistency like Alabama has shown.
Without question and indeed my point.

I'm not dissing Coach Bryant but it was a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.