Today marks the 50th anniversary of the My Lai Massacre

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This reminds me of an example I saw that a chaplain hosted in basic training.

The chaplain had, oh, maybe 20 folks get up in a circle around him and - like a smooth politician - he set up a scenario that SEEMED harmless enough at the time. So in the first step down the path he gave the situation and asked how many would ignore it or do nothing and how many would follow their moral code, rules, whatever.

Of those 20, ONLY TWO at that first step held to their convictions. He mocked and ridiculed them and told them they were embarrassments and to sit down, they weren't going to do anything because they wouldn't "play ball." He weaved the scenario on and at each phase people dropped out at different points as the situation got worse. Eventually, of course, someone (or several) gets killed as a result of that first step, second step, etc.

The chaplain then made this point: every single person had a certain level at which they were no longer willing to assent to and tolerate the deception. He then called the two he'd sat down after the first step and made this very point: if you would have stuck to those convictions at phase one (which most professed to have) then nobody would have gotten hurt in the first place. But he also pointed out how much you could lose - including a career - by doing the right thing. He then had us applaud the two "idealists."

And for the record - Calley was wrong, but he was also a scapegoat.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
This reminds me of an example I saw that a chaplain hosted in basic training.

The chaplain had, oh, maybe 20 folks get up in a circle around him and - like a smooth politician - he set up a scenario that SEEMED harmless enough at the time. So in the first step down the path he gave the situation and asked how many would ignore it or do nothing and how many would follow their moral code, rules, whatever.

Of those 20, ONLY TWO at that first step held to their convictions. He mocked and ridiculed them and told them they were embarrassments and to sit down, they weren't going to do anything because they wouldn't "play ball." He weaved the scenario on and at each phase people dropped out at different points as the situation got worse. Eventually, of course, someone (or several) gets killed as a result of that first step, second step, etc.

The chaplain then made this point: every single person had a certain level at which they were no longer willing to assent to and tolerate the deception. He then called the two he'd sat down after the first step and made this very point: if you would have stuck to those convictions at phase one (which most professed to have) then nobody would have gotten hurt in the first place. But he also pointed out how much you could lose - including a career - by doing the right thing. He then had us applaud the two "idealists."

And for the record - Calley was wrong, but he was also a scapegoat.
Scapegoats usually dont get away with murder.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Makes you wonder how many other atrocities happened in Vietnam that were never reported or covered up. Courage comes in many forms.
Way too many.

Now to be fair to the guys at the time......they weren't nearly as well-versed in Geneva Convention as they should have been. That was the only "positive" that came out of that (and even as I said that I cringe because I know what it sounded like).

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Way too many.

Now to be fair to the guys at the time......they weren't nearly as well-versed in Geneva Convention as they should have been. That was the only "positive" that came out of that (and even as I said that I cringe because I know what it sounded like).
Not gunning down civilians including old women and young children should have been understood with or without an understanding of Geneva.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not gunning down civilians including old women and young children should have been understood with or without an understanding of Geneva.
No argument here. But easy to say that in a war where kids approached US troops who tried to be nice and the little girl is carrying and explosive doll, too. More than one Vietnam vet has made that particular point - this wasn’t WW2 with rational Western Europeans.

I’m in no way defending anything that was done there, but it’s also easy to Monday morning QB and think from the standpoint of non combatants.

The fact that this cane out is proof e had guys who DID know and practice right from wrong.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Scapegoats usually dont get away with murder.
He "got away" with it in the sense that he didn't go to prison or get executed.

But he got more than a life sentence, too - a hundred years from now his name will be a symbol that lives on of what NOT to do. His name will ALWAYS be tied the shameless killing at My Lai. Just as the name Judas Iscariot is inextricably linked with betrayal, the name William Calley is inextricably linked with military war crimes.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
He "got away" with it in the sense that he didn't go to prison or get executed.

But he got more than a life sentence, too - a hundred years from now his name will be a symbol that lives on of what NOT to do. His name will ALWAYS be tied the shameless killing at My Lai. Just as the name Judas Iscariot is inextricably linked with betrayal, the name William Calley is inextricably linked with military war crimes.
During the four-month-long trial, Lieutenant Calley consistently claimed that he was following orders from his commanding officer, Captain Medina. Despite that, he was convicted and sentenced to life in prison on 29 March 1971, after being found guilty of premeditated murder of not fewer than twenty people. Two days later, President Richard Nixon made the controversial decision to have Calley released from armed custody at Fort Benning, Georgia, and put under house arrest pending appeal of his sentence. Calley's conviction was upheld by the Army Court of Military Review in 1973 and by the U.S. Court of Military Appeals in 1974.

In August 1971, Calley's sentence was reduced by the Convening Authority from life to twenty years. Calley would eventually serve three and one-half years under house arrest at Fort Benning including three months in a disciplinary barracks in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. In September 1974, he was paroled by the Secretary of the Army, Howard Callaway.

In a separate trial, Captain Medina denied giving the orders that led to the massacre, and was acquitted of all charges, effectively negating the prosecution's theory of "command responsibility", now referred to as the "Medina standard". Several months after his acquittal, however, Medina admitted he had suppressed evidence and had lied to Colonel Henderson about the number of civilian deaths
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
That is easy to say, unfortunately no one knows how they will react until they are in the situation. I doubt any US service members went to Vietnam and thought, “man, I can’t wait to go massacre women and children”. And then women and children whom you have tried to help and have been friendly to start killing your buddies with tricks, it takes a lot of discipline not to want revenge.

For example, look at the “Blackhearts” episode in Iraq 2007. A lonely Platoon assigned too much area to cover is isolated, has no down time, is given little support, has had their PL killed along with respected NCOs. One where an Iraqi civilian who had been very friendly one day just walks up and shoots him in the head with a pistol. Guys beheaded in their trucks at their checkpoints at night. Patrols that go out every day knowing they are going to get hit by an IED again today. 4 man checkpoints alone for weeks with minimal leadership presence. It was easy for some of those guys to start thinking of every Iraqi as the enemy- men, women, and children. To dehumanize them. And then one team at an isolated checkpoint decided to “get revenge” and rape and murder an Iraqi family.

Service members, especially leadership, have to be proactive in instilling that not everyone is the enemy, and that both the enemy and the civilian population are the same as you and me. I don’t think that was understood as well in Vietnam as it is now.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
That is easy to say, unfortunately no one knows how they will react until they are in the situation. I doubt any US service members went to Vietnam and thought, “man, I can’t wait to go massacre women and children”. And then women and children whom you have tried to help and have been friendly to start killing your buddies with tricks, it takes a lot of discipline not to want revenge.

For example, look at the “Blackhearts” episode in Iraq 2007. A lonely Platoon assigned too much area to cover is isolated, has no down time, is given little support, has had their PL killed along with respected NCOs. One where an Iraqi civilian who had been very friendly one day just walks up and shoots him in the head with a pistol. Guys beheaded in their trucks at their checkpoints at night. Patrols that go out every day knowing they are going to get hit by an IED again today. 4 man checkpoints alone for weeks with minimal leadership presence. It was easy for some of those guys to start thinking of every Iraqi as the enemy- men, women, and children. To dehumanize them. And then one team at an isolated checkpoint decided to “get revenge” and rape and murder an Iraqi family.

Service members, especially leadership, have to be proactive in instilling that not everyone is the enemy, and that both the enemy and the civilian population are the same as you and me. I don’t think that was understood as well in Vietnam as it is now.
I agree, to a point. However the slaughter at My Lai was so horrendous that there can be no excuse there. Its one thing to have confusion resulting in 'collateral damage'. Its quite another to knowingly massacre innocents.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I agree, to a point. However the slaughter at My Lai was so horrendous that there can be no excuse there. Its one thing to have confusion resulting in 'collateral damage'. Its quite another to knowingly massacre innocents.
Wasn’t meant to be an excuse. Just saying that it is probably easier for normal people to slide down the path to committing atrocities and war crimes than we would care to admit.

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
I had an uncle that was in Viet Nam. He was a Marine.
I've heard so many stories about little kids and young women over there setting up ambushes and getting U.S. Soldiers killed as a result. You didn't always know who the enemy was because a lot of the Viet Cong didn't wear uniforms.
This is not to condone ANY straight up Massacre but the fact is that the enemy was certainly not signed on with the Geneva Convention and committed plenty of atrocities as well.
In things like this we will never really and truly know what happened there on that day. Did one of the women/children make a move that could be considered threatening? Could this particular group of soldiers just recently been ambushed due to being set up by a child or a women/women? We don't know.
Again, not condoning a straight up massacre but until you've been there don't be too quick to judge.
And I agree with others that the 2nd Lieu was not the one (in all likelihood) that made the call, so to speak.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
FWIW
In presenting the case, the two military prosecutors, Aubrey M. Daniel, III and John Partin, were hamstrung by the reluctance of many soldiers to testify against Calley. In addition president Richard M. Nixon made public statements prior to the trial that were prejudicial to the defense, resulting in a letter from Daniel taking the president to task. Some soldiers refused to answer questions point-blank on the witness stand by citing the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

However, one holdout, a soldier in Calley's unit named Paul Meadlo, after being jailed for contempt of court by the presiding judge, Reid W. Kennedy, reluctantly agreed to testify. In his testimony, Meadlo described that during the day's events, he was standing guard over a few dozen My Lai villagers when Lieutenant Calley approached him and ordered him to shoot all the civilians.

When Meadlo balked at the orders, Calley backed off 40 feet (6 m) or more and opened fire on the people himself, and Meadlo joined in. Another witness named Dennis Conti, who was also reluctant to testify, described the carnage, claiming that Calley had started it and the rest of the 105 soldiers of Charlie Company followed suit. Another witness, named Leonard Gonzalez, told of seeing one of the soldiers of Calley's unit herd some men and women villagers together and order them to strip off their clothing. When the villagers refused, the enraged soldier fired a single round from his M-79 grenade launcher into the crowd, killing everyone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Calley

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.