Marshall Coach Dan D’Antoni Explains Why Teams Shoot More 3’s

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I know we got tired of Bama throwing up so many 3’s at times this year.

Marshall shoots a ridiculous amount of 3’s. Here’s D’Antoni’s response when asked about it Friday after their win over Wichita State.

Obviously, the caveat being able to make the shot, but the analytics of it explain why teams shoot more 3’s than trying to get the ball inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Interesting that I was having a conversation with my son earlier this afternoon along those lines.
It seems the commonalities among the teams advancing it seems are 1) strong fundamental defense, especially on the perimeter 2) a consistent philosophy offensively regardless of the players on the floor at the time and 3) the ability to shoot the 3 pointer. And the last seemingly the most important.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Also the reason a 16 beat a 1. And NC lost by 20. Live and die by the three. The problem with analytics and the three is that you can have a great game and win by 20 and then lose the next by 10 when the shots don’t fall. But the anałytics say it’s the better shot....

Overall yes, but it depends on being consistent.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Also the reason a 16 beat a 1. And NC lost by 20. Live and die by the three. The problem with analytics and the three is that you can have a great game and win by 20 and then lose the next by 10 when the shots don’t fall. But the anałytics say it’s the better shot....

Overall yes, but it depends on being consistent.....
Remember that the payoff for each shot made is 1.5x a layup, so you can accept a lower percentage. You just can't live through long cold spells. All this says what I've been saying. We have to recruit more pure shooters and move away from this love affair with slashers. There must be balance. We don't have it right now...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This isn't new information. My senior year in high school was the 1987-88 season when the three point shot was introduced in high school. We didn't break it down with all the "analytics" per shot(or as most people call them- stats), but it doesn't take a lot of analysis to know that if you shoot ten shots in two point range and make 60% that you get 12 points; you only have to make 40% to get the same 12 points from 3 point range. Again, though, you do have to have guys who make the shot a decent amount of the time. Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan knew it at Providence when they beat one of our best teams in the sweet 16 back then, so it is definitely not new news. We did not have those guys most of the time. If we got hot and Sexton, Petty, and one or two others all contributed from that distance, we would crush people. Still, having a guy who can penetrate and get to the free throw line or kick out for the three or pass for the high percentage lay-up/dunk is still an asset. We definitely need more consistent shooters, though, because this would help us not only with our three point production but also with free throws. Now, with all that said, I'll still take a few quality big men to provide balance with low post points and rebounding. It's just like football these days; many teams choose the high point production of the passing game, and I agree that you need to get good production from the passing game, but teams that can run the ball and play defense usually end up winning the championships. I'd wager that teams who have quality play from their big men will also still be competitive. As in nature, though, balance is best.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Is it time to move back the line to NBA distance?
IMO, it is long past time to move back the 3 point line, and I mean about 5 feet. It is not a greater risk to shoot the 3, so why should it be rewarded with an additional point? The game has changed - players grow up shooting from that distance, and the shots are too hard to defend. They are being rewarded for making easier shots. Move back the line far enough to totally eliminate the shot from the corners. Move the line back far enough that the game becomes a team game again. This is not basketball. This more like HORSE.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
A&M is playing good team b-ball with a mix of threes and inside offense. Depending on just one type of offense will get you beat eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I've only watched part of 1 NIT game this year and I generally liked the experimental changes. The ones I noticed were 4 10 minute quarters instead of 2 20 minute halves and the extended 3 point line. I didn't watch closely enough to get a feel for shooting free throws after 5 team fouls but that would seem like a necessary change when playing 10 minute quarters.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Teams only dump the ball inside any more to give their shooters behind the arc a little more room to shoot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.