TIFWIW - Drew DeArmond Tweeting About Future Coleman Renovations

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If ole Coleman is renovated it'll literally be years before a new arena will be considered again.

Unless the layout of the floor can be rearranged and site lines improved I just don't see how this will improve the environment that much.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
As "home improvements" go for Coleman Coliseum, the rim on the home end of the floor will be given greater circumference so as to "expand" success for 'Bama's heretofore atrocious free-throw shooting.

The rationale for this much-needed "redevelopment" is the lead-pipe cinch likelihood that 'Bama's FT shooting at Coleman is the worst for a basketball venue in continuous use since James Naismith put up peach baskets at the Springfield YMCA...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I saw his tweet.

-likely reduce the seat to 12k
-Possible playing at BJCC for a season or two.
-Modernize the seat, hopefully offer luxury suites to take care of donors.
-Students will move down ont he floor.
-Likely tearing down the building and leaving the bare-bones to rebuild a smaller arena.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw his tweet.

-likely reduce the seat to 12k
-Possible playing at BJCC for a season or two.
-Modernize the seat, hopefully offer luxury suites to take care of donors.
-Students will move down ont he floor.
-Likely tearing down the building and leaving the bare-bones to rebuild a smaller arena.
I asked about the bolded in another thread recently. If they can basically gut the interior, stands and all, and start all over in the shell then I see this as a possibility.

But can they? aren't the stand all the way around built of concrete? Can they demolish the stands without hurting in infrastructure of the whole building?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I would be Ok if they tore down the old Coleman because you can't fix the issues in there with the current configuration. I has originally wanted them to buy the old shopping center where the T-town café is and OZ music( I'd hate to lose this though) and build a new arena there. There is another old shopping center across the railroad tracks from the University that is barely full so that might be a better option with more room. We'd be able to play in Coleman until the new one got built. You will alienate a bunch of loyal fans if they have to drive to the BJCC for 2 years. The AD also needs to consider 2 years lost revenue( I assume the BJCC would get the lions share of the gate for the home games), and 2 years higher transportation cost. I don't think you can recruit in an arena that isn't you " home floor" so there are many considerations to take into account.
I have zero problems with them moving students to the floor. I have faculty/staff tix(thru wife) and they moved us 3 years ago from the 4th row to 19 row behind the basket. Way to many Tide pride seats sit empty for almost all the home games. Fix Tide Pride to allow the donors to get seats if they want them, but only if they show up and there is a butt in their seat. If you do that, I think it will correct this problem. Adding luxury boxes is well over due. I am certainly no high roller, but the big dogs like to be separated from the average Joe fans,so if they are willing to pay for it, I am all for it. I applaud the recognition Byrne has that basketball needs an up to date arena, but it is how it is done is vitally important as well.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
You could use it for sports, but the asbestos on the ceiling has prevented the University from having concerts for years. Personally, id like to see them put down a hockey floor, and make hockey an official sport at UA.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
You could use it for sports, but the asbestos on the ceiling has prevented the University from having concerts for years. Personally, id like to see them put down a hockey floor, and make hockey an official sport at UA.
I'll second that. Much better than driving to Pelham to see the Frozen Tide.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Putting lipstick on a pig . . albeit a large capacity pig.

I was at the University during the CM Newton years . . a pretty good time for hoops . . . and saw the Rolling Stones, Zep, the Who, among others there. Always thought it was a lousy design for sports and events. The cheap seats are way to far away from the court for sports and the place cannot allow for hanging sound and lights.

Past time to replace it.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I asked about the bolded in another thread recently. If they can basically gut the interior, stands and all, and start all over in the shell then I see this as a possibility.

But can they? aren't the stand all the way around built of concrete? Can they demolish the stands without hurting in infrastructure of the whole building?
I know it is not to the same degree but Loyola did a gut job on their old gym. I know Coleman is much bigger and is older but.......

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...--20111126_1_ben-averkamp-alumni-gym-ramblers

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Saw a tweet last night that UA has hired a firm to investigate what would be the best option: remodel old or build new.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I'd hate to see the asbestos abatement bill alone on what they're talking about doing. This just seems like a backwards fix. The athletic department is making money hand over fist right now. Anything short of a new arena (which could be built possibly between the rec center and old frat row allowing us to play in Coleman until it is ready) seems like a cheap deal. The area and parking of where Coleman is now could be repurposed for intramural play which is what the area I'm referring to above is reserved for. It's a big deal I think to keep home games on/very near campus during a very pivotal developmental period that could send us either way as a program.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.