Be weather aware

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm a long time weather nerd (came by it naturally, my dad is a hard core weather nerd, shoulda been a meteorologist) and over the years I've settled on a 24-hour-max forecast, 12 hour typical forecast. Honestly, anything more than 12 hours and they're guessing (and they'er often still making wild guesses at that point) - they're commonly worse than the average MLB batter wrt accuracy. Just this past Friday night the forecast for Saturday AM was 70% chance of thunderstorms - by 8AM it had become partly cloudy, 15% chance of rain. We rucked for about two hours, not 12 hours after it was predicted that there would be a 70% chance of thunderstorms, not a drop of rain. In fact, most of us got sunburned.

At this point, meteorology has to be the easiest gig on the planet...
Forecast snow. Don't mention it later... :D

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I kind of wished it would turn and hit TX. We need the rain, badly. Don’t want the wind though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
I'm a long time weather nerd (came by it naturally, my dad is a hard core weather nerd, shoulda been a meteorologist) and over the years I've settled on a 24-hour-max forecast, 12 hour typical forecast. Honestly, anything more than 12 hours and they're guessing (and they'er often still making wild guesses at that point) - they're commonly worse than the average MLB batter wrt accuracy. Just this past Friday night the forecast for Saturday AM was 70% chance of thunderstorms - by 8AM it had become partly cloudy, 15% chance of rain. We rucked for about two hours, not 12 hours after it was predicted that there would be a 70% chance of thunderstorms, not a drop of rain. In fact, most of us got sunburned.

I'm a weather nut too, and if I'd been better in math (or had decided to just assert myself more when I was 18) I'd have been a meteorologist. I use longer forecasts to get a *GENERAL* idea of what might be coming, but don't put much faith in them until probably about the 24 hour mark too. Monday night deacon meeting at church, some were worried about an 80% chance of rain for last night when we had an outside event. I kind of smirked because, well, it's Georgia in May, there's an 80% chance of rain any day (which someone else pointed out) and well, that was six days out and could be wildly inaccurate. (Though it's been raining so much here lately, that's not totally an irrational concern). Ended up being a right nice evening, save for the humidity, with just a few very light sprinkles.

For my part, I check the forecasts a few times a day. Also I invested in RadarScope Pro on my phone ($20 initially, and $10 yearly afterward) giving me a pretty broad view of what's going on out there (including hail which I called hitting our neighborhood one night last year about five minutes before it happened).

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Weather isn't real until the HRRR shows it to be lol.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'm a weather nut too, and if I'd been better in math (or had decided to just assert myself more when I was 18) I'd have been a meteorologist. I use longer forecasts to get a *GENERAL* idea of what might be coming, but don't put much faith in them until probably about the 24 hour mark too. Monday night deacon meeting at church, some were worried about an 80% chance of rain for last night when we had an outside event. I kind of smirked because, well, it's Georgia in May, there's an 80% chance of rain any day (which someone else pointed out) and well, that was six days out and could be wildly inaccurate. (Though it's been raining so much here lately, that's not totally an irrational concern). Ended up being a right nice evening, save for the humidity, with just a few very light sprinkles.

For my part, I check the forecasts a few times a day. Also I invested in RadarScope Pro on my phone ($20 initially, and $10 yearly afterward) giving me a pretty broad view of what's going on out there (including hail which I called hitting our neighborhood one night last year about five minutes before it happened).
I love Radarscope. Pivotal Weather, a free site, is an awesome resource too.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

at least in atlanta, it was getting hyped that we were going to have a monsoon level event with 5-8 inches of rain starting friday. we always have mass on the grass with a huge picnic afterwards on the sunday of memorial day weekend. the weather was perfect.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Cyclones are weird like that sometimes. Generally, it's the Eastern side of the circulation that gets hammered while the Western side gets out fairly light. This one was different.
With a powerful cold front coming, it's a week of 50-60% chances, so we should get ours...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.