Be weather aware

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Strongest this far north in the gulf since Camille 50 years ago.
i learned at my maternal grandmother's funeral (during one of the eulogies) that she worked as a nurse with the red cross in the immediate aftermath and ensuing months after camille. she was a widow and just picked up and moved there to help.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We just got back from working Apalachicola, Port Saint Joe and Mexico Beach. Mexico Beach is as bad as they say. It was literally the WORST hurricane damage I've ever seen. We mainly worked Cape San Blas, PSJ and MB right on 98 so we seen the worst of the worst. They actually found a dead body by us on Cape San Blas a couple of days ago. MB looks like Russia dropped an atomic bomb on us. Houses moved off the beach, across 98 and into other houses like it was nothing. We had sites where poles were totally missing, we never found them. One street corner had a transformer on the ground that we couldn't pair with a pole. It was nowhere to be found. It was totally taken off the pole like someone unscrewed both bolts that hold one up. Some houses washed away with no signs what so ever of where it went. Homeowners just out there not really knowing what to do. It literally reminded me of 2011 and Tuscaloosa as things just didn't look right anymore. Places you've seen before that you couldn't recognize anymore. I could go on and on but I think you will get the point. I've been lucky in my career that we never ran across bodies and we still didn't on this one but it was close enough being a few houses down, but just knowing that fact that you have to be there around it doesn't make things easy on the soul...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
We just got back from working Apalachicola, Port Saint Joe and Mexico Beach. Mexico Beach is as bad as they say. It was literally the WORST hurricane damage I've ever seen. We mainly worked Cape San Blas, PSJ and MB right on 98 so we seen the worst of the worst. They actually found a dead body by us on Cape San Blas a couple of days ago. MB looks like Russia dropped an atomic bomb on us. Houses moved off the beach, across 98 and into other houses like it was nothing. We had sites where poles were totally missing, we never found them. One street corner had a transformer on the ground that we couldn't pair with a pole. It was nowhere to be found. It was totally taken off the pole like someone unscrewed both bolts that hold one up. Some houses washed away with no signs what so ever of where it went. Homeowners just out there not really knowing what to do. It literally reminded me of 2011 and Tuscaloosa as things just didn't look right anymore. Places you've seen before that you couldn't recognize anymore. I could go on and on but I think you will get the point. I've been lucky in my career that we never ran across bodies and we still didn't on this one but it was close enough being a few houses down, but just knowing that fact that you have to be there around it doesn't make things easy on the soul...
Thanks for the report barehand.....you and your co-workers are freaking heroes to do the work you do. Would love to hoist a cold one with you one day - but only if you're not in town on business!

I'm assuming most of what you are doing now is getting the basic infrastructure back up so when properties are rebuilt, electric will be in place so service can be restored on an individual basis....the same as when a new home is built somewhere.

Thanks again for checking in and as always....please stay safe!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Just got back myself. The rate at which you guys were putting in poles and pulling lines was astonishing. Thanks for all you do.

Would have loved to "buy" you a beer while you were there. In quotes as there is no where left to do it but I had plenty with me

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Just got back myself. The rate at which you guys were putting in poles and pulling lines was astonishing. Thanks for all you do.

Would have loved to "buy" you a beer while you were there. In quotes as there is no where left to do it but I had plenty with me
Good to hear from you, Jon. Hope you are able to get through this OK! Good luck and please keep us posted.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
A post in my Gator forum.......
===========

Pictures can't adequately describe the destruction. They also can't describe the relief effort. It is phenomenal. Not just the government effort. Corporatel companies have come in droves. There is supposed to be a list compiled as to who came in and is helping. These are just the companies that I have personally seen. All are providing services and food at no charge.
Ball Park Franks
Hillshire Farms
Jimmy Dean
McDonald's
Waffle House
Denny's
Golden Flake
Anheiser Busch
Pepsi
Coca Cola
Duracell
Tide/ P&G
Long Horn Steakhouse
Outback Steakhouse

As soon as the list of companies is published, I will start a thread acknowledging them in the appropriate forum. I myself am very brand loyal and some of these companies will forever have my business.

For what it's worth, I have had people ask me how they can help. Book a vacation here to the beach next year. Volunteer for a few hours at a Church or Civic Organization. Most of the beach side suffered little damage. 5 miles was the difference between losing everything and losing nothing.

==========

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for the report barehand.....you and your co-workers are freaking heroes to do the work you do. Would love to hoist a cold one with you one day - but only if you're not in town on business!

I'm assuming most of what you are doing now is getting the basic infrastructure back up so when properties are rebuilt, electric will be in place so service can be restored on an individual basis....the same as when a new home is built somewhere.

Thanks again for checking in and as always....please stay safe!
We're home now. More than likely Duke will be the ones to fix Mexico Beach since it will be so long before they can finish it. It will be another couple of weeks before they're truly ready to get them back online for sure because most of the damage that's needed to be cleared first. We were sent in there but couldn't do much due to the damage still in the roads and what not. Just cut and clear because of the hazards still hanging.

I would have had a few with both of y'all but we have a no alcohol policy while on storms.:frown: Better believe if I'm ever down y'alls way we can definitely turn a few up!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.