Etowah County Sheriff uses $750K inmate food fund and buys new house

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/al...-to-feed-inmates-report/ar-BBKe6Jx?li=BBnbfcL

AL.com reported that Entrekin and his wife had also purchased a $740,000 home with an in-ground pool in an elite neighborhood in the county, and that he had gotten a $592,000 mortgage to finance the purchase.

Entrekin's annual salary is $93,178.80, according to the publication.

"In regards to feeding of inmates, we utilize a registered dietitian to ensure adequate meals are provided daily," Entrekin wrote in an email to the publication.

"As you should be aware, Alabama law is clear as to my personal financial responsibilities in the feeding of inmates. Regardless of one's opinion of this statute, until the legislature acts otherwise, the Sheriff must follow the current law," he said.
Hang him.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

"Matthew Qualls questioned why Entrekin paid him to mow the lawn at his personal home in 2015 using taxpayer funds allocated for the feeding of inmates in the county jail. Entrekin confirmed that he personally pocketed some of the funds."

In another story I read about him, Qualls said he was paid with a check that said "Etowah County Jail Food Account" to mow the sheriff's lawn and thought it was odd and didnt question it. Then his brother, who served time in the jail, told him about the food rations and how terrible they are.

Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
In Alabama the laws surrounding prisoner care are so antiquated it is pathetic. It assumes that a sheriff's wife would be cooking for them and pretty much allows him to charge the inmate/state/city for each meal. Okay, let's say for example that Sheriff A is housing a prisoner for a city within his county he gets to charge for 3 meals each day. Then if the prisoner comes in as 11:30 pm Friday he could charge for breakfast, lunch and supper that day even though he ate nothing. So if you extrapolate that over what could potentially happen in a county today and BOOM house money here we come. I am not an attorney but I have known a few sheriffs and that is what I've heard.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In Alabama the laws surrounding prisoner care are so antiquated it is pathetic. It assumes that a sheriff's wife would be cooking for them and pretty much allows him to charge the inmate/state/city for each meal. Okay, let's say for example that Sheriff A is housing a prisoner for a city within his county he gets to charge for 3 meals each day. Then if the prisoner comes in as 11:30 pm Friday he could charge for breakfast, lunch and supper that day even though he ate nothing. So if you extrapolate that over what could potentially happen in a county today and BOOM house money here we come. I am not an attorney but I have known a few sheriffs and that is what I've heard.
Our federal government isn't any better. After Katrina a local catering company signed up to be a part of relief efforts to serve meals down in New Orleans. He and his wife packed up their catering truck and trailer, went for over a month, served meals, billed the government $120/plate. They paid the tab, and now he has three new brick and mortar restaurants and a once barely making it business owner is a millionaire on partially my dime.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
It ain't "right", but as of right now, isn't against the a law. He'll have to be sued by an inmate, a judge rule, and then he'd have to go against that ruling. Like we've been dealing with here in morgan county for the last 10 years or so.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
growing up in nw alabama, it was always KNOWN that they were getting a cut from the bootleggers.
FIFY.

Coincidentally, this weekend, I was told a story about the Winston County sheriff coming to partake and “invest” in a local bootlegger’s operation making moonshine. I was told this story by the bootleggers’ son-in-law, haha. Both the sheriff and bootlegger have passed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
FIFY.

Coincidentally, this weekend, I was told a story about the Winston County sheriff coming to partake and “invest” in a local bootlegger’s operation making moonshine. I was told this story by the bootleggers’ son-in-law, haha. Both the sheriff and bootlegger have passed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
there was quite a bit of seemingly shady stuff going on back in the 70's - 80's.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Honestly, this is the crap that I don't miss about living in Alabama.
It isn't just Ala.! Crooks will find a way.
Thirty years ago our sheriff was tried and convicted of shutting down I 75 due to an "accident" in order to allow planes to land on the interstate. These planes landed in the wee hours of the morning and were loaded with cocaine. The plane and drugs were funded by well heeled and "respected" members of the community. The local PTB made sure to protect their own and only the underlings paid the time for the crime. Biggest problem in all this was that that sheriff was and is the best one we ever had.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It isn't just Ala.! Crooks will find a way.
Thirty years ago our sheriff was tried and convicted of shutting down I 75 due to an "accident" in order to allow planes to land on the interstate. These planes landed in the wee hours of the morning and were loaded with cocaine. The plane and drugs were funded by well heeled and "respected" members of the community. The local PTB made sure to protect their own and only the underlings paid the time for the crime. Biggest problem in all this was that that sheriff was and is the best one we ever had.
Was this Spurbury? Where were troopers Ramathorn and Farva?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.