What's the draw with recruits to Ohio State?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The Buckeyes are a big-time program with a big-time coach. They have a big-time tradition, one of the best stadiums in the country, and a conference rivalry that has to be one of the best in all of sports. Their fan base is extremely loyal and passionate. They have one of the best bands in all of college football. No surprise to me that kids want to play there.
Yeah, the weather aside, and maybe the quality of the portion of the student body that`s of the female persuasion ( I know, believe me. I`ve lived in the Midwest ), I can certainly agree.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, the weather aside, and maybe the quality of the portion of the student body that`s of the female persuasion ( I know, believe me. I`ve lived in the Midwest ), I can certainly agree.
You need to walk the streets of the university district in Columbus. OSU is not Michigan. The women are absolutely beautiful. This from a man who married an Alabama girl.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
You need to walk the streets of the university district in Columbus. OSU is not Michigan. The women are absolutely beautiful. This from a man who married an Alabama girl.
Well B1G, even though I`ve been through the Midwest, it would be disingenuous of me to say that I`d ever spent any time in Columbus. With that in mind, I`ll have to defer to you. I never knew that so many Southern girls went to tOSU ! :smile:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
It's not that they don't have beautiful co-eds, just that they're layered up 1/2 the year. As a 17 year old in 1983 I visited Tuscaloosa on a baseball trip. It was November...girls were going to school in boxer shorts and tee shirts...I'm from Chicago, that didn't happen up there..I was sold!!! FTR...I did NOT play baseball in Tuscaloosa...I chose to attend Bama instead of making a run and a career...two reasons for that...1 curve balls...2...Southern girls... :) Think I made the right choice!!! RTR!!!
Well B1G, even though I`ve been through the Midwest, it would be disingenuous of me to say that I`d ever spent any time in Columbus. With that in mind, I`ll have to defer to you. I never knew that so many Southern girls went to tOSU ! :smile:

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
The Buckeyes are a big-time program with a big-time coach. They have a big-time tradition, one of the best stadiums in the country, and a conference rivalry that has to be one of the best in all of sports. Their fan base is extremely loyal and passionate. They have one of the best bands in all of college football. No surprise to me that kids want to play there.
If you were on an OSU message board, and the inverse of this discussion was happening, one could substitute "The Tide" for "The Buckeyes" in this post and it would also fit to a T.
I love THE University of Alabama, and all of her tradition and history...but acknowledge that there are a handful of other universities who exist within our "sphere of collegiate royalty"

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
If you were on an OSU message board, and the inverse of this discussion was happening, one could substitute "The Tide" for "The Buckeyes" in this post and it would also fit to a T.
I love THE University of Alabama, and all of her tradition and history...but acknowledge that there are a handful of other universities who exist within our "sphere of collegiate royalty"
Good point Bearfoot. Now that I think about it, I have read other threads on boards from fans in different parts of the country ask why kids want to play at Alabama or LSU. I ignored the threads for the most part because growing up in the south and understanding the cultural emphasis that football plays, I didn't really find any value in reading Midwestern or Northern perspectives on why recruits from non-southern parts wanted to come to the south to play football.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I've never been to Columbus, but I have been to Ann Arbor. Long story short, saw Michigan play Florida State in the mid-80s.

Michigan campus was really pretty, especially around the law school. Thought the stadium was vastly overrated -- just a big bowl with a few extra rows on top to jack up the capacity.

Exceptions noted, the women were future mothers of down linemen. Even the guys acknowledged it...called the majority of them, "snow cows."

They did mention that if a girl was one of the exceptions, it was the best place in the world to be....guys would be lined up around the block.

Game day experience left a bit to be desired. General nastiness to opposing fans, and I do mean nasty. This went beyond the usual talk...profanity that would make a sailor blush, pervasive and extremely detailed threats of what could be described only as sexual violence. And this was about 30 years ago.

Now, I don't think the threats would have been followed through, but that sort of behavior wasn't isolated to a few drunks. Given the reactions of others, it was apparently just part of the expectation.

And they take great pride in being a refined and demanding academic institution, with all the prestige and deference that confers. Go figure

I'm no prude, but I would be extremely hesitant to show up in opposing colors, especially with Mrs. Basket Case.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Tradition. Tradition. Tradition. In Real Estate they say Location, Location, Location. This, of course, includes having a winner for a HC.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've never been to Columbus, but I have been to Ann Arbor. Long story short, saw Michigan play Florida State in the mid-80s.

Michigan campus was really pretty, especially around the law school. Thought the stadium was vastly overrated -- just a big bowl with a few extra rows on top to jack up the capacity.

Exceptions noted, the women were future mothers of down linemen. Even the guys acknowledged it...called the majority of them, "snow cows."

They did mention that if a girl was one of the exceptions, it was the best place in the world to be....guys would be lined up around the block.

Game day experience left a bit to be desired. General nastiness to opposing fans, and I do mean nasty. This went beyond the usual talk...profanity that would make a sailor blush, pervasive and extremely detailed threats of what could be described only as sexual violence. And this was about 30 years ago.

Now, I don't think the threats would have been followed through, but that sort of behavior wasn't isolated to a few drunks. Given the reactions of others, it was apparently just part of the expectation.

And they take great pride in being a refined and demanding academic institution, with all the prestige and deference that confers. Go figure

I'm no prude, but I would be extremely hesitant to show up in opposing colors, especially with Mrs. Basket Case.
I don't think that you would fear for your family's safety today as you might have back then as the culture has changed sufficiently that this kind of behavior is pretty infrequent. You will hear a lot of obnoxious fans, see lets of alcohol and hear a lot of swearing, but fans of other teams are generally treated with respect in Ann Arbor today. I proudly wear OSU colors in Ann Arbor and (aside from some ribbing) have been treated well for the last 10-15 years.

But, all that said, their women are heavy. Not ugly, but heavy. It is kinda weird because the women at MSU (Sparty) are not heavy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.