What's the draw with recruits to Ohio State?

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything I just don't get it. Ohio State has a ton of talent on their roster, just had an amazing haul, have underperformed the past years, and it seems there are always plenty of (Southern) recruits interested in heading up there for visits. Help me understand what is going on.

Last edited:

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
I don't like Ohio State by any means, but I think you'd have to start with the idea that Urban Meyer is a really good recruiter who has won multiple national titles. That by itself is a draw. Ohio State is also a national brand and offers the chance to play for a national title almost every year in a conference that is heavily televised. Just look at any NFL roster and you'll find Ohio State, just like you will Bama or USC.

Truth is that we can only take 25 guys and offer so much playing time, so you'll always have programs like Ohio State and Michigan and Texas that get their share of talent.

tidefan82

1st Team
Aug 16, 2000
Opp,Alabama,U.S.
Some players from the South have never made a snowman, ice skated, or drove cars with snow chains on their tires. It is good training for playing for the Packers!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything I just don't get it. Ohio State has a ton of talent on their roster, just had an amazing haul, have underperformed the past years, and it seems there are always plenty of recruits interested in heading up there for visits. Help me understand what is going on.
For Southern kids?

Moving out of the South -- experiencing something new
A Chance to get great Pro Exposure without the weekly minefield that is the SEC
A chance to experience a great historical program....
A HUGE City -- that is pretty modern, and eats, sleeps and breathes Buckeye Football

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
For Southern kids?

A Chance to get great Pro Exposure without the weekly minefield that is the SEC
A HUGE City -- that is pretty modern, and eats, sleeps and breathes Buckeye Football
You mean that Tuscaloosa is not necessarily the center of the universe? I spent a lot of time in Madison, Wisconsin and have visited many of the Big 10 campuses. The quality of life and the academic environment students experience there is extraordinary. Particularly when one considers the environment many of these kids grew up in.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Largest alumni base in the country.

On TV every week.

Perhaps the best stadium atmosphere anywhere.

Free tattoos.

Last edited:

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
For Southern kids?

Yeah I think I meant to include that in my original post. I changed the original post to reflect southern players going there for visits and such. Thanks for helping me understand this. Like I said I wasn't trying to be a jerk I just didn't understand.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Probably won't be popular to say, but in some cases kids leave the south to go play up north because they didn't get the offer they were looking for in the south.

There's no denying that schools like OSU, Michigan, and Penn State have incredible tradition, talent and potential. That said, if a kid from Alabama, Tennessee, Florida or Georgia just to name a few states had the opportunity to go to an SEC or ACC school near their home state, they'd likely do that first.

I know a kid who left the south to go up north to play in the B1G. After a redshirt season, he was a situational player for the first couple of years and then played pretty regularly during the last two. He was good, but not a star.

There's no telling what his parents spent on travel to and from his games. I know his family quite well and although I never asked specifically I'm pretty sure they would have preferred (as would the kid) to have played for one of the aforementioned state schools in the south. I heard he had "offers" from a couple of SEC schools (IIRC Tennessee and Auburn) but my impression was they were not committable offers (there's a big difference) so he chose the committable one at Penn State over the one at Purdue (IIRC).

I know OSU gets plenty of big time recruits, but I'd be shocked if most of those players chose OSU over a committable offer to a BIG TIME SEC or ACC team if they are from the southern region.

I know there are guys who chose to leave the south to go up north when they could have played in the SEC, but I think its the exception rather than the rule.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
The Buckeyes are a big-time program with a big-time coach. They have a big-time tradition, one of the best stadiums in the country, and a conference rivalry that has to be one of the best in all of sports. Their fan base is extremely loyal and passionate. They have one of the best bands in all of college football. No surprise to me that kids want to play there.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
No offense to the OP, but it is quite obvious why recruits are drawn to OSU.
No offense to you but it's an honest question. Either contribute to the conversation or keep scrolling. Many here have made very good points, you on the other hand, seem to be in abundance of knowledge on why southern players want to go there so if there is something that hasn't already been stated then say it.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
No offense to you but it's an honest question. Either contribute to the conversation or keep scrolling. Many here have made very good points, you on the other hand, seem to be in abundance of knowledge on why southern players want to go there so if there is something that hasn't already been stated then say it.
I said no offense but it seems you have. IMO the others you mention have pointed out what is obvious but this may be me. My apologies.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The Buckeyes are a big-time program with a big-time coach. They have a big-time tradition, one of the best stadiums in the country, and a conference rivalry that has to be one of the best in all of sports. Their fan base is extremely loyal and passionate. They have one of the best bands in all of college football. No surprise to me that kids want to play there.
^^^
On the nose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.