News Article: Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
We have a lot of 50% parenting going on because a lot of kids only have 50% of their parents. Absent dads are a lot of what is wrong today.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
you joke now, but backwards masking on heavy metal albums was real.

and blue jeans and duck tails.
I played a heavy metal album backwards once. You know what I heard? mphtdharuopa ahwtrnr sskaaycbnrmn. It clearly told me I should be an architect. Some messages were positive.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Has the internet destroyed a generation?
Has rap music destroyed a generation?
Have video games destroyed a generation?
Has rock music destroyed a generation?
Has showing too much ankle destroyed a generation?
I hear what you're saying but the smart phone/social media influence is different both in quality and quantity. That's coming from the perspective of almost eight decades above dirt...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I hear what you're saying but the smart phone/social media influence is different both in quality and quantity. That's coming from the perspective of almost eight decades above dirt...
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the idea behind the initial article is the same in general. We don't know whether this is "destroying" a generation or not. Depending on where the world goes it may be saving a generation and they may be the first wave of a major change to our species/society. My parents are always amazed with what I can do effortlessly on computers - although they probably thought I was wasting away my younger years constantly being on them and destroying my life in the same way a lot of people feel about the phone thing.

I also can't stand the obsession by the younger generation with the things but it's also a different world. Just like it was with computers and video games, etc. I just think it's too early for sweeping statements like the article.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the idea behind the initial article is the same in general. We don't know whether this is "destroying" a generation or not. Depending on where the world goes it may be saving a generation and they may be the first wave of a major change to our species/society. My parents are always amazed with what I can do effortlessly on computers - although they probably thought I was wasting away my younger years constantly being on them and destroying my life in the same way a lot of people feel about the phone thing.

I also can't stand the obsession by the younger generation with the things but it's also a different world. Just like it was with computers and video games, etc. I just think it's too early for sweeping statements like the article.
my dad was an electrical engineer who loved to tinker with stuff. interestingly enough, he thought computers (and especially video games) were a complete waste of time, so we never had them in the house and i never owned one until i was in my late 20s.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
"Destroyed a generation" might be a tad over-the-top, hyperbolic (though I see we've now moved on from Bush is gonna destroy us to Obama is gonna destroy us to Trump.....and now it's the I phone).

There ARE some things that make the I phone at least somewhat different than most of the other things mentioned.

Video games, rap music, rock music, or God forbid sane and moral country music listened to by the fundamentalist masses (pure songs like Conway singing with your hair up in curlers he'd still love to lay you down).......

The thing is that at least back in the day, MOST of those could only be minimally accessed. Take Atari, for example. Back in 1983, you had to actually BE in the house with your Atari on and playing it.....you couldn't sit at a red light and play it or whip the phone out (choosing my words carefully heh heh) at the dinner table and start playing.

I think that in MOST cases, you have little more than folks pointing a finger in a direction to find something to blame rather than those being the cause of anything. I mean, most of the time they're an EFFECT, not a cause.

I always chuckle as 92tide is only 3 months older than I and with both of us being Southerners, I think we probably have VERY similar experiences. Backward masking? whoo boy, that one was a hoot!! Even when I was attending a rather rigidly fundamentalist Baptist church, I never could get this. For starters, nobody I knew even HAD a record player that would play backwards....and besides, I heard a lot of nasty stuff going forwards, much of it as noted above by Conway Twitty. By the time Elvis passed away in 1977, you could have sung most of his tunes in church by comparison with what came later. (My Mom - born in 1946 - lived the rural Alabama "everyone who listens to Elvis' music is going to Hell" stuff).

I DO have some level of concern. Tom Nichols wrote a book recently that everyone should read, "The Death of Expertise." He pointed out how "I can Google it" has become synonymous with "I understand it." And if you watch some of my BDS videos, it's truly amazing how many folks who have dropped big bucks on a ticket will sit there on the phone the entire game.

I WILL admit, though, that I DO enjoy some of the "from the stands" camera shots of things like Kenyan Drake's TD in the Clemson game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
my dad was an electrical engineer who loved to tinker with stuff. interestingly enough, he thought computers (and especially video games) were a complete waste of time, so we never had them in the house and i never owned one until i was in my late 20s.
My favorite is still my ex-FIL insisting in 1996 that the Internet was going to be nothing but "a passing fad" like the CB radio was.......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

In general I agree with this but as noted......you actually had some time AWAY from the video games or whatever no matter how much time you DID spend on them.

The I phone is ubiquitous.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Thank you for the kind words. We are far from perfect parents but we do put everything we have into it and do the best we can. This past weekend my wife and I received one of the best compliments a parent can get regarding their children. My oldest son plays Dixie Youth Baseball and they've been practicing for about a month and had a pre-season tournament this past weekend. After one of the games the head coach and one of the assistant coaches asked to speak with my wife and me privately. As we were walking over to a private area we were talking to each other saying "What in the world could this be about? What could possibly be wrong?". Nothing was wrong. They proceeded to tell us that our son (and I quote) is "*pure class" and "the most respectful, well behaved and coachable player we've ever coached." That made us so proud and was worth more than any game winning homerun, or anything he could have done on the field. Talk about a proud Dad struttin' around like a peacock after hearing that. LOL!

*As I looked up in the sky I saw a hologram of Barrett Jones slow clapping*
Somewhere out there is a young girl. Neither she nor her parents know it yet, but they're going to be the second-biggest beneficiaries of your and your wife's efforts.

Second only to your grandchildren. Congratulations.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
My opinion is the smartphone hasn't destroyed a generation. Bad parenting has. Out of all the sentences in that article. This is the one that stuck out to me most:

I believe this statement to be true. I also believe it is the reason we see kids interact and deal with each other in a much more violent way than ever before. A kid cannot have a smart phone unless the parent allows it, pays for it and turns the kid loose with it. The issue is parenting, IMO. I think the question that needs to be asked is, "Why don't parents want to spend more time with their children rather than giving them a device to occupy or 'babysit' them?" There is no such thing as idle or unused time. Their time will be occupied by something or someone. The parents are the primary decision makers on how their time is spent and with whom.
This is true; and bad parenting is largely the result of the rejection of truth and the true God. The rejection has mostly been little by little, IMO, beginning with the gilded age of late 19th, then the progressive era, roaring 20s, depression, new deal, WW2, beatnik gen, hippie gen, Reagan, then the escalating decline from the 90s forward - but the foundation was laid long before the 90s. The 90s til now has just been a more brazen expression of symptoms. Not everything about all of those periods was bad, but except for the depression and WW2, they were characterized by an increasing moral decline (i.e., the rejection of God) in the US. So, no smartphones haven't destroyed a generation, they just provide another circumstance that further exposes and facilitates the emptiness of life, individually, thus collectively, without the true God.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
This is true; and bad parenting is largely the result of the rejection of truth and the true God. The rejection has mostly been little by little, IMO, beginning with the gilded age of late 19th, then the progressive era, roaring 20s, depression, new deal, WW2, beatnik gen, hippie gen, Reagan, then the escalating decline from the 90s forward - but the foundation was laid long before the 90s. The 90s til now has just been a more brazen expression of symptoms. Not everything about all of those periods was bad, but except for the depression and WW2, they were characterized by an increasing moral decline (i.e., the rejection of God) in the US. So, no smartphones haven't destroyed a generation, they just provide another circumstance that further exposes and facilitates the emptiness of life, individually, thus collectively, without the true God.
You think the rejection of God started in the 19th c.? You may want to take out your smart phone and Google that.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
You think the rejection of God started in the 19th c.? You may want to take out your smart phone and Google that.
Of course not - the rejection of God began with Cain. I was speaking of it's development over time in the U.S. IMO, the decline that has continued mostly unabated to this day, began in the latter part of the 19th century. This is the ultimate reason behind the various "social/personal" problems that exist.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.