Will Jimbo finally awaken "the sleeping giant" that is Texas A&M Football?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Will Jimbo finally awaken "the sleeping giant" that is Texas A&M Football?

When I say that A&M will not be a threat, I don't mean they can never beat Alabama or win a title, several can, just that it will be occasionally at most - like AU. IMO, they, nor anyone else will threaten Bama for supremacy in the West in the next few years. LSU and AU have won the West in the last 10 years, but neither are a threat at this point to unseat Bama as the king. LSU was a threat until ~2016. LSU could become that again with the right coach, though for the moment they have become a buffoon. UGA (sitting on a talent motherlode) and UF (Mullen is a very good strategist and play caller, with good talent, even though he is not a good recruiter) could become SEC threats.
If we are using that as meaning “threat” then we haven’t had a real threat since 2009. I think many of us are putting expectations and capabilities that bama has year in and year out into other teams.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Actually I think I used that exact same phrase (or something very similar) prior to their joining the SEC. At that point some were arguing A&M was beneath the SEC's standards, and I think we can both agree that wasn't really accurate.

Jimbo probably puts them closer to it, but it is basically a comment on resources available. Texas is also a sleeping giant really, and one has to wonder why they can't put those resources to work either. The counter would probably be something about boosters in the state mixed with the type of talent the state produces that makes it harder to put the abundant resources to use. I can't really pin it down though, but the state of Florida figured it out and had a few decades of amazing results. I would not put it past the state of Texas to do the same.

Just to be clear, from what I recall Texas is usually first or second in producing D1 talent. Florida is usually the main rival, look at the ascension of Florida, FSU, and Miami as an example of what can happen when that talent is put to good use. The thing that Texas (and Texas A&M) has what Florida doesn't necessarily have (in particular Miami and FSU where their athletic departments haven't always been flush with cash) is lots, and lot of money. Texas and Texas A&M are two of the richest universities. So, in theory they can do what the state of Florida does, but they can pay their coaches more and have better facilities. Isn't that exactly why Jimbo is there?

Why this potential is rarely realized within the state is a very good question, but if someone really puts it together they could be scary.
To be honest I would about the LA schools more than any of the Texas schools taking off under the right leadership. Texas’s history is mostly fluff. 4 NCs doesn’t exactly scream elite program.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

If we are using that as meaning “threat” then we haven’t had a real threat since 2009. I think many of us are putting expectations and capabilities that bama has year in and year out into other teams.
Except for LSU, I would agree. Even though they only won 1 division title, they were the only program that Bama feared, and IMO, needed to fear. Even that hasn't been true for a couple of years now.

What I mean by fear is, "going into each year, who am I concerned about?". OM, AU, even A&M have popped up occasionally, but going into each year, LSU was the only one who consistently mattered - the only one who didn't need flukes or crazy circumstances to win. Bama could have lost almost every game they played vs LSU from 2008-2015. Even when the score ended up skewed.

Ask the coaches or players or most (GrayTide doesn't count :smile:) fans - that was the case. Now, even they are gone. Who are you concerned about this year? I'm concerned about no one, nor last year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Except for LSU, I would agree. Even though they only won 1 division title, they were the only program that Bama feared, and IMO, needed to fear. Even that hasn't been true for a couple of years now.

What I mean by fear is, "going into each year, who am I concerned about?". OM, AU, even A&M have popped up occasionally, but going into each year, LSU was the only one who consistently mattered - the only one who didn't need flukes or crazy circumstances to win. Bama could have lost almost every game they played vs LSU from 2008-2015. Even when the score ended up skewed.

Ask the coaches or players or most (GrayTide doesn't count :smile:) fans - that was the case. Now, even they are gone. Who are you concerned about this year? I'm concerned about no one, nor last year.
Auburn has beaten us more times since 11-5-11 than LSU and win more SECCGs and SECW titles than them. LSU is going closer to the Dinardo era again with each passing year. I just don’t see them as a threat since 2015.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I think A&M will improve under Fisher. If he can get QB play figured out, the Aggies could be the #2 team in the West very soon.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Auburn has beaten us more times since 11-5-11 than LSU and win more SECCGs and SECW titles than them. LSU is going closer to the Dinardo era again with each passing year. I just don’t see them as a threat since 2015.
I agree - I thought I made that clear. Yes, OM and AU have beaten Bama more than LSU since '11. But my point regarding a "threat" is that LSU was the only team I was concerned about from '08-'15. And I was concerned about them every year going into the year and by the time Bama played them, the others I was never concerned about going into the year, and rarely by game time. Yes, they won by flukes and unusual circumstances, but I did not consider them a real threat other than the fact that any decent to good team is such - but LSU I feared and knew they could win straight up. I also know that the coaches and players and most fans felt the same way. (IMO, the '13 loss to AU was a result of Bama beating LSU (in the Saban jumped into AJ's arms game) and thinking that the season was thus over. They lost focus and never recovered.)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

UT is the "giant' of Texas college football. A&M has the potential. I don't think Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Houston or any of the other have that potential. I am sure that is why we have heard the sleeping giant term associate with Aggie for eighty years or more. Replacing Texas as "the team" is a tall order and they just missed their best opportunity with the turmoil of the past ten years. If A&M has better seasons and wins bigger, better bowl games for a few years running they my be a wakened giant but like I said that is a tall order.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

They’ve been sleeping a long time. Someone needs to check on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

First of all this question is axiomatically wrong, because they are not a sleeping giant. Historically, they’re just like every other program in the SECW not named Alabama: not a blue-blood.

Jimbo is a good/very good coach but he’s not elite. They will compete better than they did with Sumlin but they’re still fighting for 2nd/3rd.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

First of all this question is axiomatically wrong, because they are not a sleeping giant. Historically, they’re just like every other program in the SECW not named Alabama: not a blue-blood.

Jimbo is a good/very good coach but he’s not elite. They will compete better than they did with Sumlin but they’re still fighting for 2nd/3rd.
I may have misunderstood the intent of the article. I thought it was talking about being a sleeping giant in the State of Texas, not the SEC or on a National stage. When I get time I will go back and read it again.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Wouldn't another way of looking at it, to say that just because the sleeping giant never woke up doesn't mean he isn't a giant? Miami clearly was a sleeping giant prior to their ascension. The same with Florida and FSU. What's the difference? To me it speaks to potential, and the potential clearly is there. It doesn't mean they will or have realized it.

Edit: That aside, with A&M it is easy to have a what have you done for me lately type of view of them. Their billions aside (they come in eight, Texas is third), their wealth of recruits in state (Texas is often #1 in 3+ star recruits) aside, A&M still comes in 20th all time and claims three national titles. That's not exactly a blue blood, but it puts them close to FSU for example. They're also well ahead of programs like Clemson. Clearly though they'd have to take a major step forward to have a history that competes with a program like LSU or Nebraska, but they have resources neither of those programs have. So, I think it is both reasonable to remind ourselves that they haven't done anything great, yet, but it doesn't mean they lack the potential.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wouldn't another way of looking at it, to say that just because the sleeping giant never woke up doesn't mean he isn't a giant? Miami clearly was a sleeping giant prior to their ascension. The same with Florida and FSU. What's the difference? To me it speaks to potential, and the potential clearly is there. It doesn't mean they will or have realized it.
That’s fair.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I used to think Jimbo was a good coach but after watching him lose control of things at FSU last season I'm not so sure he can build TAMU football into what the fans there expect.
Fisher pulled a Fran. One of my co-workers had a cousin on staff at FSU. I say “had” because he’s at ATM now and though she didn’t know where, she DID know in October that Fisher was headed elsewhere because he told her that much. And she’s a lifelong Tide fan and has been right on every time she’s said something.

Lost control? Just didn’t care is more like it.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I believe this is a good observation mick and I agree the jury is still out on Fisher and will be for a while. The year after he won the NC with Winston he got totally embarrassed by Oregon in the first playoff series. One and done and sustainable success are two completely different animals.
Yup..Had it not been for Winston I'm not sure Jimbo would've won a NC as HC at FSU & he had the kinda talent Coach Saban has at Bama while he was at FSU to work with..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

In 2012 they became a Paper Giant because of Manziel and beating Alabama and finishing 11-2.
Since then it's been 9-4, 8-5, 8-5, 8-5, 7-6.

Before Johnny Football they were 7-6, 4-8, 6-7, 9-4, 7-6.

aTm has gained more notoriety, and fortune from that one game, one player, and one season than any non-championship winning team in any sport ever.

They are a "Potential" giant because of money and location.
2005 Notre Dame says, “What about us?”

I actually agree with you here though

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Actually I think I used that exact same phrase (or something very similar) prior to their joining the SEC. At that point some were arguing A&M was beneath the SEC's standards, and I think we can both agree that wasn't really accurate.

Jimbo probably puts them closer to it, but it is basically a comment on resources available. Texas is also a sleeping giant really, and one has to wonder why they can't put those resources to work either. The counter would probably be something about boosters in the state mixed with the type of talent the state produces that makes it harder to put the abundant resources to use. I can't really pin it down though, but the state of Florida figured it out and had a few decades of amazing results. I would not put it past the state of Texas to do the same.

Just to be clear, from what I recall Texas is usually first or second in producing D1 talent. Florida is usually the main rival, look at the ascension of Florida, FSU, and Miami as an example of what can happen when that talent is put to good use. The thing that Texas (and Texas A&M) has what Florida doesn't necessarily have (in particular Miami and FSU where their athletic departments haven't always been flush with cash) is lots, and lot of money. Texas and Texas A&M are two of the richest universities. So, in theory they can do what the state of Florida does, but they can pay their coaches more and have better facilities. Isn't that exactly why Jimbo is there?

Why this potential is rarely realized within the state is a very good question, but if someone really puts it together they could be scary.

I can sort of explain this.

Imagine a half dozen to a dozen Bobby Lowders running a college football program. These idiots were usually football players when young and they weren’t very good. But they grew up and got rich and this is their middle age chance to avenge others not seeing their obvious HOF NFL gifts when they were young.

They now get to decide who plays for them. They’re willing to put petty grievances aside to let people they don’t really like play football for them if they think they will win. Some don’t even get past that.

Put a large bowl on the stove and mix in JR Ewing, Jerry Jones, and two parts Bobby Lowder, and you’ve just described how athletic programs in the state of Texas are run.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

One advantage he will have is a pipeline to Florida coaches that he has built over the years. If he can sprinkle in some Florida speed with Texas kids he will have something.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

The only problem with this is his schedule is going to be significantly tougher in the SEC than it was in the ACC. I can’t remember a national championship team with an easier schedule than FSU in 2013. Not in the BCS era anyway...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The only problem with this is his schedule is going to be significantly tougher in the SEC than it was in the ACC. ...
Actually it might be the opposite. The SEC is starting to become Alabama and the 13 dwarves while the ACC is starting to grow stronger. Yes by him going to aTm it pretty much means Clemson will now be the odds on favorite for a while, but its far from a done deal with the wealth of talented coaches the ACC now has over the SEC.

# SEC ACC
1 CNS > Swinney
2. Kirby = Richt
3 Gus = Petrino
4 Mullen > Fuente
5 Jimbo > Cutcliff
6 Mush < Taggart
7 Stoops < Fedora
8 Oeaux < Johnson
9 Odom < Mendenhall
Then you start to get into really bad coaches or first year coaches. The point is yes his key West rival (CNS) is a pretty substantial upgrade than what he had, he pretty much is playing a similar schedule but with weaker bottom dwellers in the SEC. Saban has really killed the SEC.

I can’t remember a national championship team with an easier schedule than FSU in 2013. Not in the BCS era anyway...
FSU played 2 top 10 teams (Clemson on the road) with 4 top 25 teams on their 2013 campaign not counting Auburn. Its certainly not groundbreaking but its about average. It actually is the same exact combination as our 2017 season not counting the Clemson game. But the weakest NC schedule by far is the 2004 USC season

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.