Will Jimbo finally awaken "the sleeping giant" that is Texas A&M Football?

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Re: Will Jimbo finally awaken "the sleeping giant" that is Texas A&M Football?

Yes! A&M is your threat, not us. Don’t waste your recruiting efforts on our top targets. We’re buffoons, has beens, O for our last 7, no reason for concern. Carry on.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Yes! A&M is your threat, not us. Don’t waste your recruiting efforts on our top targets. We’re buffoons, has beens, O for our last 7, no reason for concern. Carry on.
Well, historically, Texas A&M is a much, much better football program than LSU, so...

:biggrin2:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

One advantage he will have is a pipeline to Florida coaches that he has built over the years. If he can sprinkle in some Florida speed with Texas kids he will have something.
Well with what Selma said about the boosters, wouldn’t there be a lot of pressure to recruit “Texas players“ before they turn to the outside of the state??

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

In my opinion- no. You have to have been a " sleeping giant" before to be able to "wake one up". The Aggies have never been a giant- or at least since Bear left.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

Not really. Based on what?
Well, historically, Texas A&M is a much, much better football program than LSU, so...

:biggrin2:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

In my opinion- no. You have to have been a " sleeping giant" before to be able to "wake one up". The Aggies have never been a giant- or at least since Bear left.
Again, the definition of a sleeping giant doesn't include having previously been one. It's about realizing potential.

I do not think Texas A&M is a sleeping Giant. They do ok when Texas is down but that won't last forever.
Used to I would have agreed, but I don't think it matters what Texas does. Especially now that A&M is in the SEC. The state of Texas is pushing 30 million people and a majority of them (roughly 18 million) live in a triangle between DFW, San Antonio and Houston (with Austin and College Station right in the middle of that). For comparison purposes that's about equal to Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee's population, but not nearly the land mass. So the amount of D-1 talent is so great that Texas and A&M can both operate independently of each other and both "could be" great without hurting the other.

This, however, doesn't speak to their dysfunction in booster meddling, which is the real issue.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

They are the barn of Texas. They have always been Bevo’s little brother and always will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Used to I would have agreed, but I don't think it matters what Texas does. Especially now that A&M is in the SEC.
I'd tend to agree. Just being in the SEC gives them an edge, that is if they are capable of taking advantage of it. Texas is a lot like Florida, just richer and as has been pointed out, perhaps more problematic due to where that money comes from. But if they can figure that part out, there's no reason Texas can't have both Texas and Texas A&M as contenders. Florida has repeatedly done it. Heck, Alabama has repeatedly done it.

Let me put it another way. If Urban Meyer was going to come back and coach in the SEC West, where would I be most concerned he land? The only three spots that would really bother me would be Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M. Of those three, I'm not really sure which would concern me more, LSU or Texas A&M. Along those lines, which SEC West team concerns me most in the upcoming years? Auburn with Gus? LSU with Coach O? Or A&M with Jimbo? I'd have to take the latter, if he figures it out, he'll leave O and Gus in the dust and be nipping at Saban's heels.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Out of curiosity if Florida, Florida State, and Miami can all win a NC within the same decade in the 90’s then why hasn’t Texas A&M ever won more in a very heavily populated state of football talent?? Texas (and even Oklahoma to a lesser extent) can’t get them all.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Out of curiosity if Florida, Florida State, and Miami can all win a NC within the same decade in the 90’s then why hasn’t Texas A&M ever won more in a very heavily populated state of football talent?? Texas (and even Oklahoma to a lesser extent) can’t get them all.
Talent is very important, but so is coaching. Saban at aTm or Texas would have been amazing.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Jimbo Fisher quit on his team last year and they were woefully unprepared after the injury to their QB. So No.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Jimbo Fisher quit on his team last year and they were woefully unprepared after the injury to their QB. So No.
I'm not defending Jimbo, but his personal life has been in turmoil over the last year or two - I suspect that played a role in what we saw from him last year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I'm not defending Jimbo, but his personal life has been in turmoil over the last year or two - I suspect that played a role in what we saw from him last year.
Yeah, it seemed Jimbo's now ex-wife had an affair with former University of Florida WR Taylor Jacobs then had another affair with a former FSU tennis player (27 years old). She got paid in the divorce as well.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/jose-lambiet/article53749975.html

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.