Former Vols AD John Currie says Tennessee people are 'wacko'

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hahaha, he's not wrong...

Former Tennessee athletic director John Currie seemed to know that UT's plans to hire Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano as its football coach might not receive glowing reviews from the fanbase.

"Gonna need some help on the Pr," Currie wrote amid a text message exchange with USA TODAY columnist Dan Wolken on Nov. 26. "Our people are wacko."

"I’ll help. Not sure they’ll listen. LOL," Wolken responded. "I know he’s a very good coach and is about the right stuff."
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...ko-emails-texts-record-butch-jones/451934002/

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Sounds like Currie already was angling for a gig that would reunite him with ol' Botch: 'Bama opposing fanbase analyst...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The fake controversy around him being a Penn State assistant was pathetic. I happen to think they still got them a great one if they give him time (they won't). They landed back-assward into it though.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Good entertainment. This never gets old. If anyone can bring UT back it's Pruitt, but there are too many clowns in administration and boosters to overcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Wolken works for McNewspaper, USA Today, right? The newspaper that only exists to be given away for free in hotels and airports...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Dan Wolken agreed to provide them with the necessary PR help. Goodness.
C'mon, you're a moderator! - Need to further fact-check that it wasn't

you know, Robert Wagner's PR rep, Christopher Walken. Like they say, if the hue fits, UcheaT'll swear it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Surprising no one, Fulmer was involved.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...currie-dave-doeren/452422002/?from=new-cookie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good grief! Those guys make the aubs look perfectly sane and rational.

Still, Fulmer hates us, and remains deadly dangerous. Difference is Sankey, Saban and Byrne today vs. Kramer, Bockrath and Dubose the first time around.

I know for a stone-cold fact that Currie’s and Byrne’s families are close friends. Byrne is formidable on his own, and Currie will have prepared him with all intel, nothing held back.

Fulmer is still a snake (I know I shouldn’t talk about snakes like that), but we won’t be coming to this battle of wits unarmed.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Pruitt gets the Vols headed in the right direction, It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Fulmer pulled a Pat Riley by firing Pruitt and naming himself head coach.
Not entirely fair to Pat Riley there. He didn't want to coach again but Stan Van Gundy had a terrible relationship with Shaq and several other veterans they added to the roster to assist a young Dwyane Wade. The rumors did indeed start before the 2005-2006 season, but it was due to rift between Shaq and SVG. And the move was the right one. The vets on that team trusted Pat Riley in key moments unlike SVG who Shaq called "The Master of Panic." Shaq had gotten use to a relaxed "zen" approach. Riles only coached that team until a bad rash of injuries in 2007-2008 season led to Shaq being traded away and officially ending that stage of the Heat program. I truly think he never wanted to coach again but it was necessary to make what they were trying to do to build quickly around Wade to work. SVG was a great coach for the Wade-Odom-Butler young core but he didn't fit with a veteran team at all. This has been proven several times since that dismissal/resignation.

Basically, I'd blame this on the veterans led by a vocal Shaq not jiving with SVG rather than Riley wanting to steal glory. Furthermore, it isn't like SVG really "built" this team as a talent developer. He did a nice job with the young core in year 1 with Wade but Riley recognized that they had drafted a future superstar then traded away the developmental plan for a win-now plan. He furthered this plan by trading away even more assets before the season SVG was asked to resign. Riley had sold the future for now and he could not let SVG sour the locker room and ruin that management play. Furthermore, when Riley stepped away he gave the team to Spolestra who he never had to even think about taking the job from when the team switched from developmental to win-now w/ the Lebron+Bosh signings. SVG was just a bad coach for a veteran team. His personality rubs people more than a few years removed from their HS or CBB coach the wrong way.

Last edited:

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I live in TN. The orange clad so called people are wacko, delusional, entitled, coveting, ignorant, and downright hateful. They got lucky and somehow beat Fla. St. way back in the 90's to win a NC and now think that the football sun rises and sets in Knoxville.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.