cutting the cord / streaming tv thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: cutting the cord / streaming tv thread

My fear is I switch and within a year or so the price of streaming tv rises to the point where the switch from Direct TV/Cable wasn't worth it. I've been researching the switch since last September. Prices have already gone up for several streaming services since then.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    My fear is I switch and within a year or so the price of streaming tv rises to the point where the switch from Direct TV/Cable wasn't worth it. I've been researching the switch since last September. Prices have already gone up for several streaming services since then.
    Because people were complaining about the limited channels and got them to add more which cost $

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Because people were complaining about the limited channels and got them to add more which cost $
    That and just the increasing demand will naturally drive prices up. I think I may sit on the sidelines a little longer. There still seems to be too many "bugs" and "kinks" to workout in the streaming sector for my taste. When it gets to the point where "buffering" is very uncommon then I may bite. But right now I keep reading and hearing too many instances of the broadcast "freezing".
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    That and just the increasing demand will naturally drive prices up. I think I may sit on the sidelines a little longer. There still seems to be too many "bugs" and "kinks" to workout in the streaming sector for my taste. When it gets to the point where "buffering" is very uncommon then I may bite. But right now I keep reading and hearing too many instances of the broadcast "freezing".
    To give an anecdote, this issue happened with Sling and Hulu, but it's never happened with YouTube TV.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Seems like the more ala carte options one chooses because "I don't watch half the channels I get with cable" the closer the actual costs are.

Disney is getting ready to release its service in 2019, which will include all Disney stations and movies (ABC, Disney, and ESPN), after ESPN releases ESPN Plus this spring for $4.99/month.

DISNEY PRICES 'ESPN PLUS' STREAMING SERVICE AT $4.99 PER MONTH

Six months after Walt Disney Co. announced plans to introduce a new over-the-top ESPN streaming service, the media conglomerate has settled on a price point and release window.

During a Tuesday afternoon appearance on CNBC's "Closing Bell," Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger said the direct-to-consumer offering ESPN Plus would roll out in the spring, in an introduction that will coincide with the reboot of the network's legacy app. The streaming service will be priced at $4.99 per month, Iger said. The company plans to introduce a Netflix-esque movies-and-entertainment product in late 2019.
    From the article linked in the quote:

The ESPN OTT offering will roll out in early 2018, and in its first year of operation will provide subscribers with some 10,000 live sporting events that would not otherwise be available via ESPN's traditional TV networks. In the early going, the multi-sport OTT package will include live games from three major league sports leagues (MLB, NHL, Major League Soccer), as well as various college sports and Grand Slam tennis action.

It is perhaps worth noting that ESPN will not be streaming live NFL or NBA games via the new OTT service, or at least not in the early going. The ESPN announcement arrives just a day after CBS made hay about the impending launch of a streaming-sports service of its own.
    What's the point in that service? Likelihood the "various college sports" are football or basketball?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Seems like the more ala carte options one chooses because "I don't watch half the channels I get with cable" the closer the actual costs are.

Disney is getting ready to release its service in 2019, which will include all Disney stations and movies (ABC, Disney, and ESPN), after ESPN releases ESPN Plus this spring for $4.99/month.

DISNEY PRICES 'ESPN PLUS' STREAMING SERVICE AT $4.99 PER MONTH

From the article linked in the quote:

What's the point in that service? Likelihood the "various college sports" are football or basketball?
    that will be awesome. i had to sign up for the entire hulu plus package last year to get espn.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    that will be awesome. i had to sign up for the entire hulu plus package last year to get espn.
    It's worth it if ESPN shows college football and basketball. Otherwise, it's nothing special.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    I stand by YouTube TV. During my trial period, it greatly outperformed Sling and Hulu -- note that PS Vue and DirectTV Now don't have apps for the Xbox, so these were non-starters.

If you're considering one of these services, I'd recommend starting a few 7-day trials and deciding based on your experience.
    I use Sling and have been very pleased with the product. What do you prefer on YouTubeTV?
    ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    It's worth it if ESPN shows college football and basketball. Otherwise, it's nothing special.
    true. the only time i watch espn (or cbs for that matter) is if bama is playing football
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    I use Sling and have been very pleased with the product. What do you prefer on YouTubeTV?
    It's primarily about the performance at my location. Sling had buffering issues during primetime. Hulu was worse, and their interface was unintuitive (I believe it's being redone, however). Youtube never had buffering issues. I do prefer Youtube's DVR feature, but that wasn't the dealmaker for me.

But that's just at my location, and I wouldn't extrapolate this to be the case everywhere. Anyone interested in streaming services should do the free trials and see how performance compares on their ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    It's primarily about the performance at my location. Sling had buffering issues during primetime. Hulu was worse, and their interface was unintuitive (I believe it's being redone, however). Youtube never had buffering issues. I do prefer Youtube's DVR feature, but that wasn't the dealmaker for me.

But that's just at my location, and I wouldn't extrapolate this to be the case everywhere. Anyone interested in streaming services should do the free trials and see how performance compares on their ISP.
    i generally had a fairly decent go of it with hulu live. at least here, we were still using the beta version and the interface was really clunky, but i eventually figured it out. the biggest problem i had was that sometimes it didn't automatically take me to the live stream of the game and either put me at the beginning of the broadcast or at the point where i switched the channel. so going back and forth didn't really work well and on the times when the game would have to start on espn u because of previous games running long it could take a while to find the feed. i hope they get that worked out.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

-- Coach Bryant

this doesn't seem like a great option

However, it still doesn’t get you ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc. For that, you’ll still need to subscribe through a different TV provider.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon