cutting the cord / streaming tv thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar

Re: cutting the cord / streaming tv thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I think whether "cutting the chord" is worth it or not depends on each person's individual situation, preferences, what they're willing to get rid of and not get rid of etc. You said yourself that though you don't watch many of your 260+ channels, you do like the option to watch them if you decided to. So you're basically saying "Though odds are I'm probably not going to use/view those channels I normally don't watch. I want to pay for the option to if one day I decide to."

It's the same thing my wife told me when I insisted on getting the 4-wheel drive package when buying my pickup truck. She kept asking me why I wanted the 4 wheel drive package when I rarely would be in a situation when I'd need it. My response "I want it just in case I need it one day." Knowing full well the cost of the option would never truly be worth the number of times I would actually use it. And 14 years later, though I'd never admit this to my wife, I have not used the 4 wheel drive in my truck enough to justify the extra cost of "having it just in case I need it." LOL! But let's keep that between all of us on Tidefans.
    Yes but I'm literally talking about paying an extra $5, here. Compared to simply losing my DVR functionality, losing those channels is nothing. I'd gladly pay more than an extra $5 a month to keep DVR functionality.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    We did have charter internet for years and our total bill was around $270 with cable and internet. We switched because AT&T fiber was cheaper..only $80 and it was a lot faster and no problems. We had problems with the internet all the time with charter. It would cut out at random times and never got the speed that it said it would.

We have home security through ADT for a good price.

Charter wasn’t always this expensive for us, but we have been with them for at least 10 years. So they finally stopped giving us discounts last year.
    Was the TV option with AT&T that much more expensive?
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Yes but I'm literally talking about paying an extra $5, here. Compared to simply losing my DVR functionality, losing those channels is nothing. I'd gladly pay more than an extra $5 a month to keep DVR functionality.
    I was just using that one component to say that whether something is worth it or not depends on each person's situation. There are a lot of people whose tv/internet/security system aren't setup like yours. So cutting the chord and the savings that come along with it are worth it. It seems in your case the answer is no. So you have your answer on what you should or shouldn't do.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar

You can still record on most of these services. I think YouTubeTv is unlimited storage as well.

Was the TV option with AT&T that much more expensive?

They were separate bills. So my AT&T goes on my cellphone bill. So between AT&T internet and Charter cable we paid $240 total.

The $160 Charter I mentioned was just cable, when we had internet through Charter..it raised the bill to $270. (So we saved $30 last year when we switched internet providers)

Now with AT&T internet and YouTubetv we will just pay $120 maybe $125 with tax .so we are saving about $115 a month.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

I have a couple of questions for the cord-cutters: How are you actually saving any money? And is it actually worth it?

Here's why I ask that question...

I have Comcast internet, TV, and home security. In order to utilize streaming services, you need a fairly beefy internet connection. Due to my profession, I pretty much can utilize just about the fastest connection I can get. Right now, I've got a 150mb+ downstream, 25mb+ upstream connection and I wouldn't really want to go backward. I also have a 6-tuner Tivo DVR with four Tivo Minis that connect to it. For my TV subscription, I've got 260+ channels, including a bunch of movie channels. Granted, we don't watch many of the channels we receive but we do have that option. We get all the local channels and sports channels we want, can record up to six things at a time, and watch any of our live or recorded TV channels/programs as well as Hulu/Netflix on any of our five TVs plus our phones and computers at home or on the road.

Comparing that to the options for "cutting" the cord - which is a stupid phrase because you can't really cut the cord unless you opt for a wireless ISP - and I literally can't save enough money to make it worthwhile. We don't want to lose local channels and aren't willing to lose the sports channels, HBO, or Showtime. If I drop the TV portion of our package then we lose $40 worth of discounts, making the internet and home security more expensive. If I went with ADT for home security instead, it would be even more expensive. From my research, the only way I can get what I want from streaming services, after factoring in the more expensive internet and home security, would save me less than $5 a month and cause me to lose my DVR functionality and a lot of channels that we may not watch often but do watch on occasion.

So, I don't really see how anyone can be saving much money unless, one, they were seriously over-spending in the first place or, two, their TV/Internet provider prices and packages are structured much differently than in my area.
    This is pretty much my experience also. I've read on Reddit and other places where people talk about saving $200/month by cutting the cord. My first thought is by gawd how much was your bill to start with? I've detailed my experience with DirectTV already but most cable companies will provide promotional pricing if you try to cancel. That promotional pricing, at least in my area, isn't very much higher than switching over to streaming. So like you I would rather have everything in one interface, one remote control etc. than to save maybe $10/month..

The $160 Charter I mentioned was just cable, when we had internet through Charter..it raised the bill to $270. (So we saved $30 last year when we switched internet providers)

Now with AT&T internet and YouTubetv we will just pay $120 maybe $125 with tax .so we are saving about $115 a month.
    Yea, $160 for just cable is expensive and would persuade me to look at streaming services if that was the only price available. Did the offer promotional pricing or any discounts when you set up cancellation?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Yea, $160 for just cable is expensive and would persuade me to look at streaming services if that was the only price available. Did the offer promotional pricing or any discounts when you set up cancellation?
    The funny thing is..we called to see if we were in a contract. They told us no and told us where to turn in all the equipment and they will cancel it at that time. They didn't even try to persuade us to stay. We both were laughing when we got off the phone, since he was so nonchalant about it. I am sure they are used to people wanting to cancel with streaming tv becoming more and more popular.
    Roll Tide

The funny thing is..we called to see if we were in a contract. They told us no and told us where to turn in all the equipment and they will cancel it at that time. They didn't even try to persuade us to stay. We both were laughing when we got off the phone, since he was so nonchalant about it. I am sure they are used to people wanting to cancel with streaming tv becoming more and more popular.
    Interesting. We don't have Charter in this area. We have Comcast, Knology and AT&T and all those companies, at least when I had them, offered promotional rates to stay. Yea, in your situation I would've switched also. $160 just for cable is to much..

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Dumped an AT&T bundle costing around 300 for Internet-only package costing around 80 and I don't miss it at all. There's more than enough content on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. for me to not have time enough to enjoy everything I might ever want to watch. Not sure what we are going to do about Game of Thrones or Alabama football, probably watch at a parent's house.

As a bonus, going to AT&T Fiber actually solved a chronic, show-stopping, hair-pulling issue that I had been having with U-Verse that they had been blaming on my equipment.
    Last edited by cbi1972; August 1st, 2018 at 04:16 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-American

I've been much happier with Sling this year. Quality is way up. I turn it on and off for football season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    As a bonus, going to AT&T Fiber actually solved a chronic, show-stopping, hair-pulling issue that I had been having with U-Verse that they had been blaming on my equipment.
    Yes! It was one of the best choices we have made. Charter was supposed to be fast...but we usually got like 40-50 download and 5 upload. It was so slow.

With the fiber we get over 300 download and upload speed.
    Roll Tide

So we turned in all the equipment to Charter yesterday. The rep at the counter never asked why we were leaving or what they could offer to keep us. Pfft...good riddance.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I have heard bad things about Sling. I keep hearing conflicting comments as to whether or not Hulu supports sports.

I am just done with comcast cable. I am finally fed up. I am currently having an issue with my cable. It has suddenly zoomed and everything is huge even the guide. Everything else is fine, it is only for cable. I called comcast and they said they could "check my cable box and remote" They claimed to do this and everything was "working properly". Here is the problem, I do not and have never had a X1 voice remote. In fact the remote I did have was just the cheap nothing remote. I no longer have the cheap xfinity remote. It was damaged when it was flung across the room and against a wall in January of 2017. I am currently using a universal remote that I bought and programmed myself. So how did they "check my remote"? They had no answer for that and continued to tell me it was my TV that was the problem.

My only reason for even having cable is sports. I do not care about network TV shows and I am caring less and less everyday about some of these cable shows.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll