cutting the cord / streaming tv thread

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Since the Sling post on Football forum has drifted to a general dump cable/satellite discussion, thought it might be appropriate here. Plus, i have almost reached my limit with Charter/Bham, so considering some version of streaming via a high speed internet connection.

Which method(s0 allow for recording or on-demand, and which get local stations? Hope to figure this out before August. Gotta be ready for kickoffs of college football. :D

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Only one I know that gets all the local channels is youtubetv. The others vary from market to market

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I stand by YouTube TV. During my trial period, it greatly outperformed Sling and Hulu -- note that PS Vue and DirectTV Now don't have apps for the Xbox, so these were non-starters.

If you're considering one of these services, I'd recommend starting a few 7-day trials and deciding based on your experience.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Is there a semi-simple way to record over-air television?
my RokuTV's let me pause and play up to 90 mins which is super easy. You can also buy a device that will take the antenna signal and put in on your home network and set up a Plex server as a dvr. Not hard if you are computer savy

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I can get two locals on Direct TV now. I recently switched to it from Sling. So far I’m liking it better. No delay on sports (had it during the SECT and NCAA tourney). A bit more expensive but a wider variety of channels & multistream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I hope we can do this one day. We pay $150 for charter. Problem is we have a lot of tvs with HD/DVR boxes. Used to be more when we had internet with them, but their internet sucks. We now have AT&T fiber internet (which is awesome).

I just haven’t really looked into cutting the cord yet.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My fear is I switch and within a year or so the price of streaming tv rises to the point where the switch from Direct TV/Cable wasn't worth it. I've been researching the switch since last September. Prices have already gone up for several streaming services since then.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
My fear is I switch and within a year or so the price of streaming tv rises to the point where the switch from Direct TV/Cable wasn't worth it. I've been researching the switch since last September. Prices have already gone up for several streaming services since then.
Because people were complaining about the limited channels and got them to add more which cost $

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Because people were complaining about the limited channels and got them to add more which cost $
That and just the increasing demand will naturally drive prices up. I think I may sit on the sidelines a little longer. There still seems to be too many "bugs" and "kinks" to workout in the streaming sector for my taste. When it gets to the point where "buffering" is very uncommon then I may bite. But right now I keep reading and hearing too many instances of the broadcast "freezing".

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
That and just the increasing demand will naturally drive prices up. I think I may sit on the sidelines a little longer. There still seems to be too many "bugs" and "kinks" to workout in the streaming sector for my taste. When it gets to the point where "buffering" is very uncommon then I may bite. But right now I keep reading and hearing too many instances of the broadcast "freezing".
To give an anecdote, this issue happened with Sling and Hulu, but it's never happened with YouTube TV.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Seems like the more ala carte options one chooses because "I don't watch half the channels I get with cable" the closer the actual costs are.

Disney is getting ready to release its service in 2019, which will include all Disney stations and movies (ABC, Disney, and ESPN), after ESPN releases ESPN Plus this spring for $4.99/month.

DISNEY PRICES 'ESPN PLUS' STREAMING SERVICE AT $4.99 PER MONTH

Six months after Walt Disney Co. announced plans to introduce a new over-the-top ESPN streaming service, the media conglomerate has settled on a price point and release window.

During a Tuesday afternoon appearance on CNBC's "Closing Bell," Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger said the direct-to-consumer offering ESPN Plus would roll out in the spring, in an introduction that will coincide with the reboot of the network's legacy app. The streaming service will be priced at $4.99 per month, Iger said. The company plans to introduce a Netflix-esque movies-and-entertainment product in late 2019.
From the article linked in the quote:

The ESPN OTT offering will roll out in early 2018, and in its first year of operation will provide subscribers with some 10,000 live sporting events that would not otherwise be available via ESPN's traditional TV networks. In the early going, the multi-sport OTT package will include live games from three major league sports leagues (MLB, NHL, Major League Soccer), as well as various college sports and Grand Slam tennis action.

It is perhaps worth noting that ESPN will not be streaming live NFL or NBA games via the new OTT service, or at least not in the early going. The ESPN announcement arrives just a day after CBS made hay about the impending launch of a streaming-sports service of its own.
What's the point in that service? Likelihood the "various college sports" are football or basketball?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Seems like the more ala carte options one chooses because "I don't watch half the channels I get with cable" the closer the actual costs are.

Disney is getting ready to release its service in 2019, which will include all Disney stations and movies (ABC, Disney, and ESPN), after ESPN releases ESPN Plus this spring for $4.99/month.

DISNEY PRICES 'ESPN PLUS' STREAMING SERVICE AT $4.99 PER MONTH

From the article linked in the quote:

What's the point in that service? Likelihood the "various college sports" are football or basketball?
that will be awesome. i had to sign up for the entire hulu plus package last year to get espn.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.