cutting the cord / streaming tv thread

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Dumped an AT&T bundle costing around 300 for Internet-only package costing around 80 and I don't miss it at all. There's more than enough content on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. for me to not have time enough to enjoy everything I might ever want to watch. Not sure what we are going to do about Game of Thrones or Alabama football, probably watch at a parent's house.

As a bonus, going to AT&T Fiber actually solved a chronic, show-stopping, hair-pulling issue that I had been having with U-Verse that they had been blaming on my equipment.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
As a bonus, going to AT&T Fiber actually solved a chronic, show-stopping, hair-pulling issue that I had been having with U-Verse that they had been blaming on my equipment.
Yes! It was one of the best choices we have made. Charter was supposed to be fast...but we usually got like 40-50 download and 5 upload. It was so slow.

With the fiber we get over 300 download and upload speed.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
So we turned in all the equipment to Charter yesterday. The rep at the counter never asked why we were leaving or what they could offer to keep us. Pfft...good riddance.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have heard bad things about Sling. I keep hearing conflicting comments as to whether or not Hulu supports sports.

I am just done with comcast cable. I am finally fed up. I am currently having an issue with my cable. It has suddenly zoomed and everything is huge even the guide. Everything else is fine, it is only for cable. I called comcast and they said they could "check my cable box and remote" They claimed to do this and everything was "working properly". Here is the problem, I do not and have never had a X1 voice remote. In fact the remote I did have was just the cheap nothing remote. I no longer have the cheap xfinity remote. It was damaged when it was flung across the room and against a wall in January of 2017. I am currently using a universal remote that I bought and programmed myself. So how did they "check my remote"? They had no answer for that and continued to tell me it was my TV that was the problem.

My only reason for even having cable is sports. I do not care about network TV shows and I am caring less and less everyday about some of these cable shows.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
At my wits end with Frontier/ Verizon and am considering cutting the cord. A few questions for those who have successfully cut the cord:

1) What HD atenna you recommend? I might be mistaken, but from what I am reading this is a neccessity for local channels.

2) Did you need to increase wireless speed and or upgrade to new router? If so, which router? My wife is not tech savvy and I travel every week... one instance of buffering and we are reconnecting the cord!

3) I already have apple TV and Roku. What streaming service do you recommend? We watch local, ESPN, Fox News, Smithsonian, History channel and a few others.

Thank you,

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
My 2 Cents, I have used a combo since ATT kicked most of its customers off U-Verse by raising the price to unheard of levels to clear bandwidth. They offered directTV so low I couldn’t pass it up, plus I have Roku, smart TVs and a Fires-tick with Kodi(not used often due to quality) all with Amazon prime and shared Netflix

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I have heard bad things about Sling. I keep hearing conflicting comments as to whether or not Hulu supports sports.

I am just done with comcast cable. I am finally fed up. I am currently having an issue with my cable. It has suddenly zoomed and everything is huge even the guide. Everything else is fine, it is only for cable. I called comcast and they said they could "check my cable box and remote" They claimed to do this and everything was "working properly". Here is the problem, I do not and have never had a X1 voice remote. In fact the remote I did have was just the cheap nothing remote. I no longer have the cheap xfinity remote. It was damaged when it was flung across the room and against a wall in January of 2017. I am currently using a universal remote that I bought and programmed myself. So how did they "check my remote"? They had no answer for that and continued to tell me it was my TV that was the problem.

My only reason for even having cable is sports. I do not care about network TV shows and I am caring less and less everyday about some of these cable shows.
Crappy OEM DVRs is why I've been a TiVo customer for years. I own my modem, my DVR, and all related equipment so I don't pay Comcast an extra penny for any equipment. Owning my own equipment has paid for itself several times over and eliminated most of the common headaches people have with their OEM equipment. It's a little bit of a headache getting the CableCard reactivated when I move but that's been a once-every-few-years kind of thing, so not that big of a deal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
YoutubeTV is $40 a month and has the local 4 channels (at least here in Alabama) and all the sports channels including SEC network. NFL network may be the only sports channel it doesn't have. Not a deal breaker for me.

Hulu live had all the sports channels. But it only had fox and Nbc local channels and no CBS or ABC. That is why we ditched that idea.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
At my wits end with Frontier/ Verizon and am considering cutting the cord. A few questions for those who have successfully cut the cord:
1) What HD atenna you recommend? I might be mistaken, but from what I am reading this is a neccessity for local channels.

I would check to make sure you can get the channels through an antenna. We are too far away and couldn't. If you can, then Amazon has a bunch to choose from.

2) Did you need to increase wireless speed and or upgrade to new router? If so, which router? My wife is not tech savvy and I travel every week... one instance of buffering and we are reconnecting the cord!

I couldn't help you on the required speed. I just know we have At&t Fiber Internet and it works fine.
3) I already have apple TV and Roku. What streaming service do you recommend? We watch local, ESPN, Fox News, Smithsonian, History channel and a few others.
If it is a newer Apple TV then most streaming will work on it. And of course the Roku is a great option for all of the streaming services. I would just check each of the streaming services and see which channels fit you the best. Honestly, we chose youtubetv and Philo (because we wanted channels like Nickelodeon, HGTV, A&E..etc) So we are paying $56 for the two. Still about $100 in savings for us each month.

Last edited:

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
On Hulu Live I seem to have all sports I want to watch. We also have all the local channels but they may be a market by market thing.

The good news is you can do free trials on most of these services and switching is nothing more than canceling and subscribing on a device or web site. No scheduling a technician or waiting for different equipment. The services are constantly evolving. Pick the service that has the best UI and best combination of channels you want.

One key thing to realize. How you watch TV today will change significantly in 6 months. You'll find series with seasons of episodes and watch them. Even some old classics like Taxi or Frasier. The idea of network shows at 8p on Tuesday will not even be a thought.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
On Hulu Live I seem to have all sports I want to watch. We also have all the local channels but they may be a market by market thing.

The good news is you can do free trials on most of these services and switching is nothing more than canceling and subscribing on a device or web site. No scheduling a technician or waiting for different equipment. The services are constantly evolving. Pick the service that has the best UI and best combination of channels you want.

One key thing to realize. How you watch TV today will change significantly in 6 months. You'll find series with seasons of episodes and watch them. Even some old classics like Taxi or Frasier. The idea of network shows at 8p on Tuesday will not even be a thought.

Great points.

Yes, the availability of local channels is definitely a market to market thing. I think it is this way for most of the streaming companies. That is why the free trials are a great way to find out what works for you.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Does anyone know if WVUA TV (Tuscaloosa) programming is available on any streaming channels? Specifically looking for “Hey Coach” and “Tider Insider” TV shows. I have Roku and Youtube TV presently.
I’m pretty sure I could pick it up over the air as a back up. Thanks.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
You do not need a HD antenna. I’m using a 30 year old VHF/UHF antenna and pick up the signals from B’ham just fine. I have the antenna sitting in the rafters of my house and only have weather related issues sporadically.
What’s weird, years ago, before HD, my grandmother (who lives 100 yds to my north) had a set of rabbit ears on her tv and picked up everything from Huntsville and Birmingham. It’s weird. I’ve never been able to pull that feat off with my giant aerial antenna.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You do not need a HD antenna. I’m using a 30 year old VHF/UHF antenna and pick up the signals from B’ham just fine. I have the antenna sitting in the rafters of my house and only have weather related issues sporadically.
What’s weird, years ago, before HD, my grandmother (who lives 100 yds to my north) had a set of rabbit ears on her tv and picked up everything from Huntsville and Birmingham. It’s weird. I’ve never been able to pull that feat off with my giant aerial antenna.
True. Only one of our sets is on a box and the air sets don't have fancy antennae...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
For those looking for a DVR for OTA:

https://www.channelmaster.com/

It has two tuners and a program guide. No subscription. It goes between the antenna and the TV. It does not suck up network bandwidth by distributing via wifi. You can record one or two different shows, or watch one and record another, or record two while watching any other TV input.

I think it is a great deal for $149 but is going on sale for $89 on Black Friday!

EDIT: Worth checking out the entire website. There's a very nice OTA channel finder application too. They have some fantastic products.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Does anyone subscribe to ESPN+ via streaming? What is your take on it? Particularly interested in games that may be available only there as well as PGA Tour morning broadcasts...Thanks!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Does anyone subscribe to ESPN+ via streaming? What is your take on it? Particularly interested in games that may be available only there as well as PGA Tour morning broadcasts...Thanks!
I have it and it works fine. I haven't needed it much in football and basketball season because I have cable with SECN, ESPN, etc. But anticipate using it more during upcoming baseball and softball season.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
Well, Youtube tv is jacking their price. Been on for a good while but am about to tell them to pound sand. How have the other services evolved in the last few years? We have basic Hulu and thinking about going full bore with them. How are the prices?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.