Alabama, Future Scheduling Thread

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Re: Report: Alabama, Notre Dame negotiating home-and-home series a

Isn't it an oxymoron to say tough and PAC 12 together?
Sme years, BTW U of L is significantly weaker without Lama Jackson, when we scheduled them they were better. Future scheduling is often is like a box chocolates, you never know what you have until you play them.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Maybe Battle stuck with the short-term neutral sites almost exclusively because he knew that his tenure was meant to be a stopgap? Because Bryne has really been aggressive.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I like the idea but not the proposed time frame. Unless we can get these games in within the next 5-7 yrs, I think it’s a potentially losing proposition for us. We are likely to be down post-Saban while some of these other teams are on the ascendancy filling the void that we will leave( remember The Boston College series in 83/84?) College football is cyclical. I’m all for it, but let’s do it before Saban is likely to retire and leave some cushion for his replacement. Jmo

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Maybe Battle stuck with the short-term neutral sites almost exclusively because he knew that his tenure was meant to be a stopgap? Because Bryne has really been aggressive.
Battle stuck with the neutral site games because that's what Saban wanted. Byrne is pursing H/H because Saban knows if the best opponents Orlando and Atlanta can obtain are Louisville and Duke, then Bama needs to ease off the neutral site games.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Lol! ND wouldn't even think about scheduling Bama before 2029.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish Football Schedules | Future Schedules
What am I missing? I don't count a full schedule through 2029.

2021 - 11 games
2022 - 8 games
2023 - 10 games
2024 - 9 games
2025 - 10 games
2026 - 7 games
2027 - 7 games
2028 - 6 games
2029 - 5 games

The only issue would be the date of the game, but ND doesn't have a full 12 game schedule any year after 2020 according to the link you posted.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Battle stuck with the neutral site games because that's what Saban wanted. Byrne is pursing H/H because Saban knows if the best opponents Orlando and Atlanta can obtain are Louisville and Duke, then Bama needs to ease off the neutral site games.
That's a good way to look at it too.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I would like to see Bama go back to the previous Three Year policy of H/H/NS. Further enhanced by the NS game being with the same opponent. Bama has the wherewithal to make that happen. For example, if Bama and USC scheduled a H/H, i don't think they would have any problem at all with having Arlington scheduling Bama-USC for their game in the third year.

The ten year series with PSU was a bit much. Three year H/H/NS would be ideal.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

What am I missing? I don't count a full schedule through 2029.

2021 - 11 games
2022 - 8 games
2023 - 10 games
2024 - 9 games
2025 - 10 games
2026 - 7 games
2027 - 7 games
2028 - 6 games
2029 - 5 games

The only issue would be the date of the game, but ND doesn't have a full 12 game schedule any year after 2020 according to the link you posted.
I was looking at the quality of opponents in those years and not just numbers. Perhaps you are correct and they would be receptive earlier.

Edit: I would rule out 2021 because of @FSU, Wisconsin, @ Stanford, and USC. Likewise 2022-23 because of H/H with tOSU, Stanford, Clemson and USC. Likewise 2024-25 because of H/H with aTm, Miami, and USC. Maybe 2026?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I was looking at the quality of opponents in those years and not just numbers. Perhaps you are correct and they would be receptive earlier.
Part of that is because of the contract Notre Dame made with the ACC, which doesn't end until 2037. If the series is going to happen, ND will have to deal with the extra competition.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Notre Dame doesn't worry much about skirting away from competition. Their scheduling is typically aggressive. Their 2012 title berth was well earned with victories over several teams that either won or competed in their conference championship. They just ran into a team they couldn't handle in that championship game. Same could be said about their 10-win seasons in 2015 and 2017. In 2015, they lost to the ACC and Pac-12 champions in the regular season then got destroyed by a 1-loss Ohio State squad that had maybe the most talented roster in the nation. In 2017, they lost to the SEC champion, P12CG participant, and ACCCG participant.

They'll schedule us where they've got an opening more than likely. I don't think they'll push it off to mid-century LOL.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would like to see Bama go back to the previous Three Year policy of H/H/NS. Further enhanced by the NS game being with the same opponent. Bama has the wherewithal to make that happen. For example, if Bama and USC scheduled a H/H, i don't think they would have any problem at all with having Arlington scheduling Bama-USC for their game in the third year.

The ten year series with PSU was a bit much. Three year H/H/NS would be ideal.
If Bama played a H/H with USC then tickets would be dirt cheap and have a less than 3/4ths full LA game and a way overpriced Tuscaloosa game.

For a team like USC it’s better to play it in Dallas. Teams like OU,Texas, and ND it’s best to do the H/H

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Re: USC/BAMA in Dallas . . . again

Again. How about one with UCLA or Oklahoma? We’ve already seen USC. Looking for some payback from 01 vs UCLA and the SB from a few years ago vs Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Re: USC/BAMA in Dallas . . . again

I'm still waiting for a home and home with Temple. I want to see us play a game at the Linc here in Philly. (not holding my breath):biggrin2:

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I'm still waiting for a home and home with Temple. I want to see us play a game at the Linc here in Philly. (not holding my breath):biggrin2:
I will be a long time before they come up this way again. I made the trip out to Penn State back in 2011. I’m glad I did. What a game.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I will be a long time before they come up this way again. I made the trip out to Penn State back in 2011. I’m glad I did. What a game.
I was lucky enough to go to the 1981 game in University Park with a late friend who played at Penn State. Walter Lewis was unstoppable that day accounting for 633 yards and Joey Jones had 12 catches for 373 yards as Bama prevailed 31-16.

I believe Coach Bryant tied the all time wins record that day and later set the record against Auburn.

I recall the following year I was in Lexington, MA for a meeting and the driver informed us that Coach Bryant had announced his retirement. I always remember that Alabama Football captures peoples interest even in Boston, MA.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
If Bama played a H/H with USC then tickets would be dirt cheap and have a less than 3/4ths full LA game and a way overpriced Tuscaloosa game.

For a team like USC it’s better to play it in Dallas. Teams like OU,Texas, and ND it’s best to do the H/H
"For example, if Bama and USC scheduled a H/H, i don't think they would have any problem at all with having Arlington scheduling Bama-USC for their game in the third year.''
Key words: For example. Not advocating playing USC.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Notre Dame doesn't worry much about skirting away from competition. Their scheduling is typically aggressive. Their 2012 title berth was well earned with victories over several teams that either won or competed in their conference championship. They just ran into a team they couldn't handle in that championship game. Same could be said about their 10-win seasons in 2015 and 2017. In 2015, they lost to the ACC and Pac-12 champions in the regular season then got destroyed by a 1-loss Ohio State squad that had maybe the most talented roster in the nation. In 2017, they lost to the SEC champion, P12CG participant, and ACCCG participant.

They'll schedule us where they've got an opening more than likely. I don't think they'll push it off to mid-century LOL.
2029 is mid-century?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.