Alabama, Future Scheduling Thread

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
"For example, if Bama and USC scheduled a H/H, i don't think they would have any problem at all with having Arlington scheduling Bama-USC for their game in the third year.''
Key words: For example. Not advocating playing USC.
Yeah and I was just pointing out that the idea only works if money is made in any scenario. USC is one prime EXAMPLE of losing money on H/H series, you really couldn’t pick a better example unless you picked UCLA or Miami. USC and Alabama knows a 1 neutral site game is a lot more beneficial to both teams than a H/H. Teams like Miami, USC, UCLA, and Oregon aren’t as loyal as the media tries to portray them. If USC came to BDS then you would probably have an Arkansas like crowd in attendance with scalpers have ultra high prices.

If we are going to do a 3 game series then it would be to teams like Oklahoma, Texas, ND, tOSU, and Clemson with super loyal fan bases that travel well.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
All for Bama playing in Dallas as much as possible. I figure Dallas will be a regular fixture on the playoff rotation too. Lot's of Bama fans out here!
Well, I live about 6 miles from AT&T Stadium and still haven't been to a game there (just moved here 6 months ago). Since I don't care to watch the Cowboys play at all, that game may just be my first one there.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, I live about 6 miles from AT&T Stadium and still haven't been to a game there (just moved here 6 months ago). Since I don't care to watch the Cowboys play at all, that game may just be my first one there.
Different people have different reactions to Jerry World. I personally think it's a great place to watch a game. I admit you can get lured into watching the giant screens instead of the game, but overall it's a beautiful facility.

I've seen Bama play twice in the last three years...Wisky and Michigan St. Couldn't go to USC last time, but I'll be there the next time, the good Lord willing!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One semi-final this year is in Dallas so maybe......

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
No it shouldn't, and its because all the other conferences would have one game more than us with the BIG 12 starting their championship game. If anything the Power 5 OOC game rule should be dropped because there would be no reason to boost the schedule

I like the sound of that.

2020- USC
2021- Miami
USC would be ok in 2020 but I would rather see somebody like Stanford as we have not played them in quiet a while. I have also seen post about getting payback with the Sooners or Bruins if we are talking Pac-12 we owe Utah one.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
USC would be ok in 2020 but I would rather see somebody like Stanford as we have not played them in quiet a while. I have also seen post about getting payback with the Sooners or Bruins if we are talking Pac-12 we owe Utah one.
Good choices

I would like this:

Stanford in Dallas maybe a H/H just because it would be iconic since we have never done a H/H before but I just don’t think they are much different from other PAC 12 teams not named Washington in terms of traveling.

UCLA in Houston just to play in Houston but Dallas would be okay

Utah at BDS or Atlanta . I just don’t see much benefit to going to SLC other than just to go because they aren’t coming to Tuscaloosa but we would sell it out.

Oklahoma 3 game series H/H and 3rd game in NOLA or Houston ( I just think Dallas is like us playing any team not named Clemson in Atlanta for them since their proximity and familiarity to it)

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I would like to play Washington in 2025 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Bama's first Rose Bowl game in 1925.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Good choices

I would like this:

Stanford in Dallas maybe a H/H just because it would be iconic since we have never done a H/H before but I just don’t think they are much different from other PAC 12 teams not named Washington in terms of traveling.

UCLA in Houston just to play in Houston but Dallas would be okay

Utah at BDS or Atlanta . I just don’t see much benefit to going to SLC other than just to go because they aren’t coming to Tuscaloosa but we would sell it out.

Oklahoma 3 game series H/H and 3rd game in NOLA or Houston ( I just think Dallas is like us playing any team not named Clemson in Atlanta for them since their proximity and familiarity to it)
The only SEC team that Stanford has ever played during the regular season was Tulane. The last home game that Tulane ever played as a member of the SEC was against Stanford.

Individual Game Results of Stanford (vs SEC)

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/confres.pl?start=1920&end=2017&team=Stanford&limit=50

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And I am sure that would be a very expensive ticket.
Define expensive.

Back row for Michigan was $125.
For USC over $150.

On the day of the Michigan St game, that same seat was $85, including fees, and end zone lower deck was about $200.

If we go to Dallas for the semi AGAIN, a lot of Tide fans won’t go because they’ve been so many times recently and it’s not the final.

If you were in Phoenix the day of the Clemson game, around $200. In Tampa? $600. And Atlanta? You could send your kid to college.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Different people have different reactions to Jerry World. I personally think it's a great place to watch a game. I admit you can get lured into watching the giant screens instead of the game, but overall it's a beautiful facility.

I've seen Bama play twice in the last three years...Wisky and Michigan St. Couldn't go to USC last time, but I'll be there the next time, the good Lord willing!
My wife and I went to the Alabama-USC game with my dad, and it's definitely an over-the-top fan experience. Since we were sitting so high, we pretty much watched the game on the big screens. Now, I'll give management credit: they kept up with the pace of play for the most part. Before kickoff, they were showing some of the other Pac-12 and SEC games that were occurring at that time, which I felt was cool. Always figured BDS could do the same thing with their big screens in the 2 hours in the stadium before kickoff.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
And I am sure that would be a very expensive ticket.
No such thing as an inexpensive ticket to most of these games anymore whether they are a kick off game or post season one. I've spent a lot of money in recent years on such and so far, it's always been a Bama win including seeing Bama defeat LSU and ND for the BCS and then beating Michigan St. to get into the NC in Dallas.

My wife and I went to the Alabama-USC game with my dad, and it's definitely an over-the-top fan experience. Since we were sitting so high, we pretty much watched the game on the big screens. Now, I'll give management credit: they kept up with the pace of play for the most part. Before kickoff, they were showing some of the other Pac-12 and SEC games that were occurring at that time, which I felt was cool. Always figured BDS could do the same thing with their big screens in the 2 hours in the stadium before kickoff.
Yes they do. Year we saw Bama/Mich. St there, in the pre-game we were able to watch Ok./Clemson.

FWIW, if you get to go back, try an endzone seat. I've sat mid-level about the 30 yard line and the endzone in the lower section and loved the view from there. The screens are much smaller for the EZ, but still plenty big.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Yeah and I was just pointing out that the idea only works if money is made in any scenario. USC is one prime EXAMPLE of losing money on H/H series, you really couldn’t pick a better example unless you picked UCLA or Miami. USC and Alabama knows a 1 neutral site game is a lot more beneficial to both teams than a H/H. Teams like Miami, USC, UCLA, and Oregon aren’t as loyal as the media tries to portray them. If USC came to BDS then you would probably have an Arkansas like crowd in attendance with scalpers have ultra high prices.

If we are going to do a 3 game series then it would be to teams like Oklahoma, Texas, ND, tOSU, and Clemson with super loyal fan bases that travel well.
How do we lose money playing USC home/home? The game would sell out in Tuscaloosa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
How do we lose money playing USC home/home? The game would sell out in Tuscaloosa.

There are a lot of USC fans that want to make a trip to Tuscaloosa. Some may not go simply because they may not feel USC is competitive enough to win in Tuscaloosa, but there are a lot that want to make the trip. Not sure what CNS or Greg Byrne's rules are on H/H, but typically to schedule a H/H with USC, you have to make the trip to LA first.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For the school, would the travel costs for the away game be outweighed by the profits from the home game by enough that this series would be preferable to two game on a neutral field or two home games against lesser opponents. Scheduling is about money and recruiting. I suspect that a H/H series with USC would barely be profitable. The fans might love it, but there are clear downsides for the school.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Unless USC was the bear of 2002-2008, the attendance would likely lose us money.

Not many Alabama fans are going to go; if they sense they're going to get killed, not many USC fans will go, either.

LA is a horrible football town all the way around.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The acoustics in the place are awful.

You wind up watching the big screen rather than down on the field (if you're in the upper levels anyway).

Parking is a fortune.

And btw - here's one for some of you who may not know this, and I know this for a fact because my son was involved:

Jerry has pulled a rather slick way to get around hiring concessions people. What he does is this: he hires "trained volunteers" to work the games selling beer, peanuts, etc. Jerry is GUARANTEED the concessions up to a certain $ amount. AFTER exceeding that dollar amount, the volunteers at the game get a percentage of the take. This is used as a fundraiser for the high schools, and he doesn't have to hire AND PAY help. If the concession stand doesn't take in a certain amount of money, they've worked for free, and he still pockets the cash.

And look, I'm a capitalist, but it was $8.50 for a small beer at the 2012 Michigan game (so I'm sure it's about $11 now). You wind up with the adults of kids trying to make money (like my son to go to the Citrus Bowl) and if the game isn't a big draw, Jerry gets his but you've worked for nothing.

My ex worked the Ohio St-Oregon national title game here. One can only imagine the take if that had been us and Ohio St.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.