Question: Where does the UGA arrogance come from?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm not one to quote Lincoln too much, but...

UGa may be the one to knock Bama off the pedestal. But that day is still in the future and not a certainty in any case.
If UGa players believe that it is a foregone conclusion, then that day may never come.
there isn't much closer you can get to glory without actually reaching it than they did this year (i guess, technically the play could have happened on 3rd and 26 or 4th and 26 and that would have been "worse"). that has to sting a little bit.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
i have lived here in Ga most of of my life. Here are some of the things I have heard...

1. Bama will fire a coach too soon. Yall have fired coaches with 10 wins. Stupid.

2. Vince Dooley was the best coach ever to walk a sideline.

3. Bear is dead. And he aint coming back.

4. Saban cant live (or coach) forever.

5. Bama cheats. They pay players and refs.

6. Mark Richt has more class in his little finger than Saban's whole family does.

Also, have any of you noticed that a lot of UGA fans have turned into part-time Miami fans? I understand he is a good Christian man and all, but did anyone ever do less with more talent?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
i have lived here in Ga most of of my life. Here are some of the things I have heard...

1. Bama will fire a coach too soon. Yall have fired coaches with 10 wins. Stupid.

2. Vince Dooley was the best coach ever to walk a sideline.

3. Bear is dead. And he aint coming back.

4. Saban cant live (or coach) forever.

5. Bama cheats. They pay players and refs.

6. Mark Richt has more class in his little finger than Saban's whole family does.

Also, have any of you noticed that a lot of UGA fans have turned into part-time Miami fans? I understand he is a good Christian man and all, but did anyone ever do less with more talent?
You forgot to mention Hershel Walker. He gets brought up in every single conversation about football and 50% of the time in just general conversation.

Jonathan_FKLN

Mar 11, 2018
Hamilton, GA
I have lived in Georgia almost 30 years, and I almost always have gotten along well with UGA fans. Most of them that I have known have been respectful of Alabama’s football history, and in the Saban era, of our current success. Some of you have different opinions, but that has been my experience.

That said, I will make some observations. First, UGA fans really believe that Alabama benefited from questionable officiating in the championship game. No matter that both teams got favorable calls and that I can list a litany of breaks Georgia received from bad officiating. And I am sick and tired of hearing about that blocked punt. They seemingly are oblivious to the fact that the correct call still wouldn’t have resulted in a blocked punt—it just would have meant a 10 yard change in field position, an insignificant event in the course of the entire game.

Second, UGA fans are so confident about their team’s future that they practically believe they have the upper hand over Alabama already.

Third, I agree with Keeter about Georgia’s view of Alabama—most believe that Georgia is a far superior state to Alabama. To be fair though, I live just across the state line from Lee County, AL, so the Georgians in my area aren’t exposed to the best that Alabama has to offer.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Ive heard that UCLA fans are worse than USC even though I have never met a Bruin fan in my life, and Ive met a lot of loud and obnoxious USC bandwagoners.

Ive also heard that UCLA has a bad campus but good location, and USC is the opposite (Great campus but bad location)
Before I respond, keep in mind that I grew up in a USC family, so I obviously would be a little biased...

Unless you went to school at USC or UCLA for your undergraduate degree, A LOT of Los Angeles sports fans are bandwagon fans between both USC and UCLA football - it really depended on who was the dominant team in the area. During the 1970s and 1980s, they were USC fans. 1990s saw UCLA dominate USC in football most years. Since the start of the the Pete Carroll era, it's been back to USC. My own theory for part of this flip flop is that most of these bandwagon fans are actually LA Raider fans. So, when the Raiders went back to Oakland, some stayed Raider fans, but chose to root for the dominant college football team in the city to get their football fandom fix.

IMO, both UCLA and USC have great looking campuses, but they're very different. UCLA has a much better location (next to Hollywood and Beverly Hills) and a more consistent architecture style. USC's campus is very different in that you can figure out when the building was built based off of its style. The problem with most UCLA fans in football is that based off of their 1990s success, they think they're at least a regional football power, but I'd argue their success was due to USC being weak during that time - much like Auburn's success during the DuBose, Franchione, Shula eras. UCLA should focus on being a basketball and all other sports school (where they've had tremendous success), and be glad when football is moderately successful - that's what they're known for athletically-speaking.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Georgia should be us right now. They have the resources and a much larger population. They're mad at themselves deep down because they've screwed it up so far.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
It’s the same logic that allows them to believe Atlanta is the world’s greatest city.

Whenever I go there, my Atlanta friends ask me how I, a Birmingham native. like Dallas. I always tell them I like it a lot, but that it’s nice to get away to a smaller, slower-paced town; you know, like Atlanta...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
My own theory for part of this flip flop is that most of these bandwagon fans are actually LA Raider fans. So, when the Raiders went back to Oakland, some stayed Raider fans, but chose to root for the dominant college football team in the city to get their football fandom fix...
Yep. We got treated worse at UCLA in 2000 than I’ve been treated by rival fans anywhere else. I said at the time they weren’t UCLA people, but Raider fans who transferred allegiance when their team went back to NoCal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
the truth is they are tied for 7th in national championships in the SEC with 2
Yeah. Some can be insufferable, but I don't know about tied for 7th in the SEC. I think it's Alabama, then LSU and Florida tied for 2nd with 3 titles each, then UGA, UT, and Auburn all with 2, which is tied for 3rd. Is that not right?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah. Some can be insufferable, but I don't know about tied for 7th in the SEC. I think it's Alabama, then LSU and Florida tied for 2nd with 3 titles each, then UGA, UT, and Auburn all with 2, which is tied for 3rd. Is that not right?
They have 2 national championships

1 bama 17
2. Tennessee 6
3. Florida, Ole Miss, and LSU 3
6 UGA and Auburn

They aren’t 7th unless past members like GT count, or you start to count some of Auburn’s unclaimed NCs like 1901 and 1983

Last edited:

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
"Go teach the Bulldogs...to behave....and send the Yellow Jackets to a ....WATERY GRAVE"
Georgia = Awbun. Only difference is the black and red. I respect them as a program. Just don't like 'em. In fact....I don't really like any of the SEC schools except Kentucky.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
No, if two teams are tied for 2nd then there is no 3rd place. The next three would be tied for 4th.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
. Anything before the AP poll as long there is a legitimate Poll they can grant you national champion I have no problem with and that includes with Tennessee. Would you or do you wants to start claiming the other three that some of their fans wants to carry-on about then all the power to if we’re gonna play the game of legitimate our consents is national championships and we really should stop saying 17 because I can guarantee you some of those so wouldn’t be considered that way. Anything before the AP poll as long is there is a legitimate Poll the grants you National championship then I have no problem with and that includes with Tennessee. Or do you wants to start claiming the other three that some of their fans once there carry-on about then all the power to Clint them, but they do not so they have two and Tennessee has six because Tennessee claims on the bases of a pole or a major bowl when that their national champions in some of that pre-AP poll era.

Last edited:

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
. Anything before the AP poll as long there is a legitimate Poll they can grant you national champion I have no problem with and that includes with Tennessee. Would you or do you wants to start claiming the other three that some of their fans wants to carry-on about then all the power to if we’re gonna play the game of legitimate our consents is national championships and we really should stop saying 17 because I can guarantee you some of those so wouldn’t be considered that way. Anything before the AP poll as long is there is a legitimate Poll the grants you National championship then I have no problem with and that includes with Tennessee. Or do you wants to start claiming the other three that some of their fans once there carry-on about then all the power to Clint them, but they do not so they have two and Tennessee has six because Tennessee claims on the bases of a pole or a major bowl when that their national champions in some of that pre-AP poll era.
Alabama has more national titles since 1900 than any other program, by any measure one wants to use so I'm not particularly concerned what others might think about it. That list doesn't include 1934 for Alabama and I don't think 1941 is very legitimate anyway and it kind of undermines the others. In any event, and as we know, all things are relative (there is an easy Tennessee joke there but I'm not gonna do it : ), and that link above lists most of the legitimately recognized titles, Alabama with 15 and Tennessee with 2.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.