Question: Where does the UGA arrogance come from?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I've been going the Alabama games for 40 years so I've seen us win and I've seen us lose. One thing I've always tried to do is treat the other fans with respect and ignore the idiots. This year, I took my 27 year old daughter(Bama Grad) who had never seen a championship game in person to Atlanta for the game. A Georgia fan bought tickets in front of me in the Bama section. He was drunk when he got there and it got worse form there. We nearly came to blows before halftime and then at the end of the game he tried to crawl up 1 row up into my row and throw punches. I had thought FSU and Auburn fans were the worst, but the UGA fans went straight to the top for me.

Alabama fans aren't perfect, but I have never seen one try to start a fight. Coach Bryant taught you win with class and you lose with class. UGA fans need to take that to heart. If they could do that, maybe they could get over that huge inferiority complex they seen to have.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
I have lived in Georgia since I graduated from the Capstone in 1975. It is a home that I love.
But for me, it's an easy distinction between the state of Georgia and UGA. So Where does UGA arrogance come from? It comes from their Mothers and Fathers and their MeMaws and Pawpaws. It's genetic, congenital and ubiquitous.

I wished we played them each and every weekend.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think to say subtracting Walker makes UGA the MSU Bulldogs is absurd. UGA is 11th all-time in wins. Even if you subtract their 32-3 record they’d have a good overall record.

MSU historically was not even over .500 until 2011. Only Vandy is worse and at least they have an excuse.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The harsh reality is that arrogance comes from insecurity. This applies whether you are a Georgia fan or Alabama (or OSU) fan. One cannot "earn" some high ground upon which arrogance is acceptable. So GA fans are arrogant for the same reason that Alabama fans are arrogant. Winning has nothing to do with it.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Did not say it was historically accurate. But many Georgia fans do not know that. Georgia has won 2 national titles ever- so it applies to that historically. Use it sometime- Georgia fan's blood pressure goes through the roof- fun to watch.
I think to say subtracting Walker makes UGA the MSU Bulldogs is absurd. UGA is 11th all-time in wins. Even if you subtract their 32-3 record they’d have a good overall record.

MSU historically was not even over .500 until 2011. Only Vandy is worse and at least they have an excuse.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Mississippi State has won one SEC title and that was in 1941. It doesn't get any lower traditionally than Mistake and Vandy. That being said if UGA fans are willing to bite.. then that is even funnier.

CrimsonCousin

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 2, 2007
Blue Ridge Georgia
Could it be that Larry Munson's 'hobnail boot' is too often found to be on the wrong foot? I've lived in Georgia for the majority of my life and know the residents to be some of the most neighborly, down-to-earth folks you would ever want to meet. Unfortunately, all fan bases include a percentage of morons, with some groups retaining a considerably larger percentage than others. Bulldog fans, and more particularly Georgia sports fans in general, seem to suffer from a form of chronic dismay due to a seemingly continuous disappointment cycle.
To wit: The Atlanta Braves (originally the Boston Red Stockings) have been playing pro baseball for 146 years - the most in the MLB. Excluding their time in Boston and Milwaukee, their winning percentage is .504. Although they possessed a near dynasty in the 1990's, only one World Series Championship was achieved. The Atlanta Falcons began as an expansion team in 1966. They own 5 Division Titles, with a forgettable performance in the 1998 Superbowl and an epic meltdown that no one can forget in the 2016 version. Their record (regular season + playoffs) is 361-457-6 at a .438 percentage. I do hope Julio gets his ring at Suberbowl LIII, which is being played at the same exact spot where Coach Nick Saban just took Coach Kirby Smart back to school! The Georgia Bulldogs have been wagging a stubby tail for 124 seasons and claim 2 National Titles, one in 1942 and the other in 1980. With a winning percentage of .630, the average Dog fan has suffered more Coach Mark Richt induced hangovers than Ted Nugent has trophies. The 'Wramblin Wrecks' of Georgia Tech started in 1892 and own a winning percentage of .575 with National Titles in 1917, 1928 and 1952 (in the SEC). The Atlanta Hawks, who also have history in Milwaukee, moved south in 1968 and win 51.6% of the time.
An adequate fan base never seemed to materialize for ice hockey teams The Flames, Thrashers or Gladiators but the opposite seems true for the new Atlanta United pro soccer team, to my great surprise. It's not my intention to make excuses for delusional jerks or humans that can accurately match the yowl of an dog pound mutt, but I think that most of the frustration and jealousy stems from the mediocre results of every major Georgia sports team to date. The next time you're in the room when a Dog starts barking, keep in mind that it would take more than a lifetime for any team to match the winning tradition of the Crimson Tide (if that's even possible in the current spacetime continuum), then imagine them wearing some god awful 'silver britches' while their rant proves meaningless.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.