News Article: Flat-earther blasts off in homemade rocket to prove earth shaped like frisbee

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
This guy does exist...
You should google Lizard People and actually read about this. They seriously make flat earthers and every other conspiracy nut look sane. The only reason I even know about this is I was once channel surfing and came across Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory show.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I always thought - to the extent I thought about these people - the flat earthers were just doing this as a goof. But, hey, more power to those who are serious about the nonsense. I wish they all had access to rockets.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wonder how they handle what happens to ships, and, for that matter planes, when they disappear over the horizon? Ships disappearing - and then coming back - is what led the Ancient Greeks (yes, that far back) to speculate that the earth must be round. They just way underestimated the size of it...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Wonder how they handle what happens to ships, and, for that matter planes, when they disappear over the horizon? Ships disappearing - and then coming back - is what led the Ancient Greeks (yes, that far back) to speculate that the earth must be round. They just way underestimated the size of it...
Clearly the giant turtles holding up the earth just lift them back up after they fall off the edge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Turtle

And yes, the turtle is part of some Flat Earthers beliefs.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I used to think the Flat Earth Society was just a joke used to describe out of touch people with old fashioned beliefs. I was shocked to learn they actually exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
They believe that a sufficiently powerful telescope dispels the illusion

While the sails of the ship may still be visible while the hull is perceptively merged, it's only a matter of time before it too shrinks into the vanishing point which rests on the surface of the sea and becomes indiscernible from the surface.

We know that this explanation is true because there are reports of half sunken ships restored by looking at them through telescopes. It has been found that the sinking ship effect effect is purely perceptual, that a good telescope with sufficient zoom will change the observer's perspective and bring the ship's hull back in full view. This is not possible if the ship were really behind a "hill of water." Hence, the effect which is usually thought to prove the earth as a globe really proves it to be a plane.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The Bernie Sanders demographic.....makes sense. If you can believe free X, Y, Z, a flat earth is nothing.
To be fair they were also told to go thousands into debt for education to get good jobs and then found out that many of those jobs aren't there so they probably learned to be skeptical about everything.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Looks like the shape of the earth is still in doubt with some Millennials.

A Third Of Millennials Aren’t Sure The Earth Is Round, Survey Finds
technically, it's not round

Our globe, however, is not even a perfect oblate spheroid, because mass is distributed unevenly within the planet. The greater a concentration of mass is, the stronger its gravitational pull, "creating bumps around the globe," says geologist Joe Meert at the University of Florida in Gainesville.
Earth's shape also changes over time due to a menagerie of other dynamic factors. Mass shifts around inside the planet, altering those gravitational anomalies. Mountains and valleys emerge and disappear due to plate tectonics. Occasionally meteors crater the surface. And the gravitational pull of the moon and sun not only cause ocean and atmospheric tides but earth tides as well.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
I haven’t read the whole thread, so forgive me if it has been discussed, but what do the flat earth “people” think there is to gain by perpetuating the “myth” that the earth is not flat? It would seem that they are just trying to cast doubt on science in general, or at the very least they are trying to get people to buy in to conspiracy theories.

It is pathetic nonsense that it has become a sort of (bowel?) movement with actual people believing it. There is no limit to the harm that can be done to society by people who would take even the most basic of facts and substitute pure fiction.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.