Diamond Notes: Bama Travels to Montgomery to Face Auburn for MAX Capital City Classic

Diamond Tide

Baseball Moderator
Staff member
Jun 23, 2000
Tuscaloosa , AL USA
diamondtide.tidefans.com
The Crimson Tide and Tigers will meet for the 10th time in the history of the non-conference pairing

3/26/2018

TUSCALOOSA, AL –
The Crimson Tide will wrap up the current five-game road streak with a non-conference pairing against in-state rival Auburn on Tuesday evening at Riverwalk Stadium in Montgomery, Ala. The contest will be the 10th in the history of the series, with AU holding an 8-1 all-time advantage in the game.

FOLLOW THE TIDE

Fans can follow Tuesday's matchup via the below outlets:

Listen: 102.9 FM / CTSN / TuneIn App
Twitter: @AlabamaBSB
Live Stats: RollTide.com

LEADING OFF

• Alabama and Auburn will meet for the 291st time in series history when the two teams square off on Tuesday night. The contest in Montgomery will be the 10th all-time meeting in the MAX Capital City Classic at Riverwalk Stadium, with the Tigers holding an 8-1 advantage in the non-conference series.
• The Crimson Tide holds the all-time series advantage at 160-130, but the two teams are even at 24-24 in neutral site contests.
• UA maintains a 7-3 advantage over the last 10 games and has not lost a season series to the Tigers since 2011, with the Crimson Tide either winning the series or trying at two games apiece.
• Alabama and Auburn last met from May 6-7, 2017, in Auburn. That series saw the Crimson Tide sweep the Tigers, including an 11-9, 15-inning win on getaway day in the longest game by minutes in Alabama baseball history at 6:36. The sweep of AU extended Alabama's win streak on the Plains to seven games to tie for the longest winning streak in Auburn in program history. The sweep of AU was also the Crimson Tide's only series win in SEC play in 2017.
• Auburn meets Alabama in Montgomery sporting a 20-5 overall record to earn the nation's No. 9 ranking by Baseball America. The Tigers spent last weekend in Lexington, falling in two of three games against the Kentucky Wildcats. Prior to their weekend with the Wildcats, Auburn fell in its midweek contest at Georgia Tech, 6-4, last Tuesday.
• Alabama will send junior right-hander Mason Duke to the hill on Tuesday. Duke has made two starts this season and seven appearances overall totaling 15.2 innings. The righty has not allowed a run this season and has struck out 18 compared to only three walks.
• Auburn will look to freshman southpaw Jack Owen in the midweek pairing. Owen has made four appearances in his first season of collegiate baseball, including one start. The left-hander sports a 6.10 ERA (7 ER/10.1 IP) and has tallied 10 strikeouts compared to five walks.

PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUP

UA – Mason Duke (Jr., RHP) vs. AU – Jack Owen (Fr., LHP)

ABOUT AUBURN

• Auburn returned 15 letterwinners, including six positional starters and eight pitchers, from the 2017 team that finished 37-26 overall and 16-14 in SEC play. AU finished ranked 25th in the final Baseball America poll after advancing to the Tallahassee Regional and coming within one pitch of advancing deeper into the playoffs. The 2018 roster is without 12 letterwinners from a season ago, a number that includes three positional starters and nine pitchers, while the Auburn welcomes 18 newcomers.
• The Tigers were selected to finish sixth in the West and 11th overall in the Southeastern Conference in the league's preseason poll, as voted on by the league's head coaches.
• Butch Thompson is in his third year leading the Auburn program and his fourth campaign overall as a head coach. A graduate of Birmingham-Southern, Thompson is assisted by Karl Nonemaker and Gabe Gross along with volunteer assistant Steve Smith.
• Auburn baseball was held a 2,008-1,366-6 record entering the 2018 campaign. The Tigers have made 20 NCAA Tournament appearances and have advanced to four College World Series, with the most recent coming in 1997.
• A public research university, Auburn is located in the same city as its namesake, and sports an enrollment of 29,776 students. Founded on Oct. 1, 1856 as East Alabama Male College under the guidance of the Methodist Church, the University was renamed to Auburn University in 1960.

ON DECK

Following the non-conference pairing with Auburn, Alabama will return home to host No. 7 Kentucky for a three-game series at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Friday opener is scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT first pitch with Saturday's contest slated for a 2 p.m. start. Sunday's series finale is set for 1 p.m. All three games will air live on SEC Network+.

-UA-

RTR,

Diamond Tide
:biga:

Junkman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2017
I like the pitching matchup. Mason has done a good job so far. I'm a little concerned we didn't see Brock Love follow Rukes V Tennessee and I would have thought Brock might have started this game. Hope he isn't back on the DL.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
We're on the wrong end of a 5-2 final. I'm willing to give them this practice game every year if the trend continues of us winning the conference series. We've won 7 of 9, three of those being sweeps, and two of those being in auburn (we've won 7 straight games in auburn). In that stretch we're 19-8 against them, adding two more wins in the SEC tournament during that stretch and it's 21-8.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I know. I know that, but why go play at a place that hates you? It's obvious the Biscuits' stadium has it in for us. I mean, 1-9? I HATE this game.

rtr

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
We're on the wrong end of a 5-2 final. I'm willing to give them this practice game every year if the trend continues of us winning the conference series. We've won 7 of 9, three of those being sweeps, and two of those being in auburn (we've won 7 straight games in auburn). In that stretch we're 19-8 against them, adding two more wins in the SEC tournament during that stretch and it's 21-8.
It's very strange that we dominate this one then get beat in the series that actually means something.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.