UA Barbershop Show “Shop Talk” (Changed to "Bama Cuts")

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: UA Tweets a Trailer for Show “Shop Talk”

I don't see where LeBrons side has a case. Any legal success he might have will be followed by lawsuits against them from people who will make the same claim against LeBron. Ice Cube would be the first in line to do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

It can't, CAN'T be the format. Otherwise we would have only ever had the line dumb husband with the smart wife and entertaining neighbors show in "the honeymooners" and nothing followed.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

LeBron doesn't own the rights to barber shops. He needs to get over himself, and so does everyone kissing his behind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Am I the only one who thinks of this guy when he sees “LBJ”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Lebron has a point - someone should have caught this before they finished it.
Dude, you do lots of business. This is akin to Alabama asking Auburn to remove the lines off the practice field because Alabama was doing it first. Nevermind Alabama wasn't the first to put lines on the practice field, they just copied whoever did before Auburn did.

Looks like they are hoping Bama will send a little cash their way to make them shut up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Dude, you do lots of business. This is akin to Alabama asking Auburn to remove the lines off the practice field because Alabama was doing it first. Nevermind Alabama wasn't the first to put lines on the practice field, they just copied whoever did before Auburn did.

Looks like they are hoping Bama will send a little cash their way to make them shut up.
Nah, it's essentially the same format along with a very similar name. It is what it is, but I can almost guarantee Lebron would win if this made it to the courts.

And I doubt Lebron cares about cash, he likely just wants a name change.

Bama got sloppy with it. It happens.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Something that could have been handled with a phone call is now being blown up in the media. Just another day in America.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Here's another angle - this gets more attention for LBJ's show. How many knew of it prior to this letter?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I don't see where LeBrons side has a case. Any legal success he might have will be followed by lawsuits against them from people who will make the same claim against LeBron. Ice Cube would be the first in line to do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
i saw that somewhere else, and that seems like a pretty big stretch.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Nah, it's essentially the format along with a very similar name. It is what it is, but I can almost guarantee lebrun would win if this made it to the courts.

And I doubt Lebron cares about cash, he likely just wants a name change.

Bama got sloppy with it. It happens.
over the weekend i was talking to my buddy at his brewery. they are all huge atlanta united fans and had an ale called united red that they put out last summer. over the winter, they got a cease and desist letter from atlanta united. i was surprised that use of the word united could be enforced and he said their lawyer said it pretty much couldn't. what got them the c&d letter was the fact that on one gameday last season, some united fan walked into a bar with united red on tap and got one and posted (on one of the social media) a selfie in all of his atlanta united garb holding the beer and tagged it with something like "enjoying an arches united red ale before watching the united". my buddy's lawyer told them, "yeah, you've got to change the name". they just finished the first new batch for 2018 and are now calling ruckus red (after the old atlanta pro soccer team, pre silverbacks).

on a good note, the beer was wonderful

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I guess what I'm missing is that UA isn't selling anything. Last time I looked at the tweet put out by UA with the shop talk video it had something like 1,500 impressions which is nothing in the world of social media monetization. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt there's a plan to monetize the shop talk videos. It's simply for some good publicity and possible positive recruiting ramifications..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Here's another angle - this gets more attention for LBJ's show. How many knew of it prior to this letter?
He had just about 2 million views for his show before Bama aired their show. I knew about it because he announced it during the finals last year. Did he just do the interview with Kevin Durant few weeks ago, that caught the nation's attention? I think that was with Kevin's blog, I'm not sure, but my point is that they know how to get people's attention with their shows.

dirkg

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 12, 2014
www.facebook.com

Well, to be fair, The movie, Barbershop was the first one to start that. I believe that's where LBJ got his idea from, but I don't think It was trademarked or anything like that. I'm sure Bama did their homework on the show before it was launched. This is more on LBJ than it is on bama.

The fact he's willing to talk with Bama and figure out how to resolve this without going to the courts is a good sign, but Bama won't be the first or last one to launch a barber shop talk. I expect Georgia, Ohio State to do similar thing.
Nike ran a number of barbershop ads back in the early 90’s

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'm not a Lebron fan, he's a great talent but also narcissistic diva. This isn't helping, even if it might mainly be his "people" that are responsible for this.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.

How about just renaming the show to the shop name, "Bama Cuts" ???

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

It can't, CAN'T be the format. Otherwise we would have only ever had the line dumb husband with the smart wife and entertaining neighbors show in "the honeymooners" and nothing followed.
I think it is a trademark issue with the name. Bronbron's attorney will request we change the name and if we do it should go away. The word "shop" if described correctly in the application and issuance when they got the trademark can't be used if it is used in a similar type business/setting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.