UA Barbershop Show “Shop Talk” (Changed to "Bama Cuts")

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Re: UA Tweets a Trailer for Show “Shop Talk”

Makes me despise LeBron James even more. What I really want to say I would be banned for so I'll stop here! LOL

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I like Lebron, but this is getting out of hand.

Format looks to be the same here....

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I don't believe Coach Saban would have commented the way he did unless he already knew what was going to happen. He is to planned and calculated to let that slip out.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

They’ll change the name and keep on trucking. Talking shop in the barbershop is not a new format invented by Lebron’s agency.
Lebron invented "talking in a barbershop" the same way aubarn invented "football teams walking into a stadium." ;-)

Lebron is just being a jerk, nothing new here. He's acting like he created the idea of barbershop talk shows which is just laughable. According to the letter sent to UA, this isn't just about the name of the show but the whole format. You can't copyright a format otherwise there would have only ever been one news show, one sitcom, one daytime talk show, etc. They have no case except for maybe getting the name changed. The show is not going anywhere and Lebron can just deal with it. Poor little crybaby.
In other news - Water is still wet and fire is still hot, and LeHype James is still a "jerk"..... :rolleyes:

This is no more a valid Intellectual Property, Copyright, or "trade dress" case than the man in the moon. As noted by Cecil Hurt and many posters in this thread, the theme of people shooting the breeze in a barber shop (or a ladies hairdresser shop - same deal) is as old as the medium of television itself, and has been the theme of COUNTLESS movies since at least the 1970's. I noticed "Floyd the Barber" - a regular character in the Andy Griffith show in the 1960's. How about Shampoo from the mid-1970's?

I'd HOPE the University would (politely) tell LeHype James to go ...Uh, shall we say... "pound sand"...... But they probably won't...... :frown:
The University will cow down like they (almost) always do. The only time UA shows any backbone is when it comes to demanding more money from alums and fans......

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

They already did.
As far as we know...

Copyrights and trademarks don't necessarily require federal filing for protection - proving prior date of creation / use is often enough to prove ownership / damages.

That said, either some subtle things will change to avoid escalation or Bama's attorneys have advised that since it's not being used for profit it's fine to move forward without changing anything.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

As far as we know...

Copyrights and trademarks don't necessarily require federal filing for protection - proving prior date of creation / use is often enough to prove ownership / damages.

That said, either some subtle things will change to avoid escalation or Bama's attorneys have advised that since it's not being used for profit it's fine to move forward without changing anything.
About the only thing Lebron could gain out of this is getting UA to change the name. But I think he has too many legal hurdles to jump to get protection against the format. Which, in the article on ESPN, seems to be his biggest beef. He says he's not going to let someone else do what he's doing. A great example of format copying is reality shows. Over the years there have been competing reality shows with dang near identical formats. If there was legal protection against formats it would have definitely surfaced in that arena.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

About the only thing Lebron could gain out of this is getting UA to change the name. But I think he has too many legal hurdles to jump to get protection against the format. Which, in the article on ESPN, seems to be his biggest beef. He says he's not going to let someone else do what he's doing. A great example of format copying is reality shows. Over the years there have been competing reality shows with dang near identical formats. If there was legal protection against formats it would have definitely surfaced in that arena.
It really just illustrates how much of a media novice he is.
Just because you're a genetic freak doesn't mean you'll have the same success in a different industry. I'm sure he can throw a lot of money at it and get decent returns, but people having very similar ideas and making similar style content is endemic to the entertainment industry.

Besides, with no copyrights and trademarked material actually infringed on, he is literally talking about intellectual property and he would lose that battle decisively. He needs to get some outside opinions and get some perspective on this situation.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I am loving every bit of this. If this all makes one of, if not the biggest names in sports shut up and take it from Coach Saban and Alabama that would elevate our brand even more than it already is.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

It's laughable that LBJ thinks that one can copyright something like this. What's next? I saw an ad / video with LBJ and Kevin Durant talking in the back seat of an Uber. Very similar to the barbershop talk but just riding in the back of an Uber. I guess no one else can film and produce a conversation in the back of an Uber since LBJ now owns that "format" also :rolleyes:..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

It's laughable that LBJ thinks that one can copyright something like this. What's next? I saw an ad / video with LBJ and Kevin Durant talking in the back seat of an Uber. Very similar to the barbershop talk but just riding in the back of an Uber. I guess no one else can film and produce a conversation in the back of an Uber since LBJ now owns that "format" also :rolleyes:..
As you would suspect, he wasn't the first to do that, either. Click

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

The setups are undeniably similar. Thing is, I don’t know if that constitutes copyright infringement or not.

I’d have to think the University vetted this with some knowledgeable counsel before Saban publicly told him to pound sand.

Are there any IP lawyers out there? I’d love to see an informed opinion on the merits of both sides here.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I like Lebron, but this is getting out of hand.

Format looks to be the same here....

Kinda random but this is a great show btw. Jerry Seinfeld with John Oliver(ducks) was my favorite episode but there are a ton of good ones.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

As far as we know...

Correct. We went to a "first to file" country in patents several years ago but we're still common law WRT copyrights and trademarks...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

While I am biased against Lebron, early on some posters made a valid point that this might just be his people pushing this case forward on the grounds that they have a strong case.

After hearing what Saban had to say and what ESPN had to say, there just doesn't seem to be much of a case there. On the other hand, Lebron's statement was fairly aggressive. While he might not have initiated things, it seems plausible that for some reason this might have gotten him worked up. The difference is he can't just lower his shoulder and run over Saban on the way to the basket.

Regardless, it seems like Lebron and his people won't have much to work with here. It isn't a new format, they don't seem to have a particularly powerful position, and at most it seems like a name and logo change might be in order. Basically this is just free press for Alabama, and more bad press for Lebron who really hasn't had the best year in terms of public relations.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Correct. We went to a "first to file" country in patents several years ago but we're still common law WRT copyrights and trademarks...
And even patents are subject to numerous avenues for legal challenges in regards to prior art claims.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

It really just illustrates how much of a media novice he is.
Just because you're a genetic freak doesn't mean you'll have the same success in a different industry.
I'm sure he can throw a lot of money at it and get decent returns, but people having very similar ideas and making similar style content is endemic to the entertainment industry.

Besides, with no copyrights and trademarked material actually infringed on, he is literally talking about intellectual property and he would lose that battle decisively. He needs to get some outside opinions and get some perspective on this situation.
Yep, there is a laundry list of former pro athletes who were the cream of the crop in their field of expertise. But were complete failures as entrepreneurs.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Yep, there is a laundry list of former pro athletes who were the cream of the crop in their field of expertise. But were complete failures as entrepreneurs.
Well Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Penny Hardaway, Reggie Miller, Shaq O'Neal, Kenny Anderson, and the list goes on... they all have found something they are good at outside NBA life... owning a company, teams, movie, write a book, tv series... and There are current players that will do well after NBA life like Kevin Durant, Andre Iggy, Stephen Curry, Paul George, Chris Paul, LBJ, etc.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Well Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Penny Hardaway, Reggie Miller, Shaq O'Neal, Kenny Anderson, and the list goes on... they all have found something they are good at outside NBA life... owning a company, teams, movie, write a book, tv series... and There are current players that will do well after NBA life like Kevin Durant, Andre Iggy, Stephen Curry, Paul George, Chris Paul, LBJ, etc.
I'd guess the ratio of professional athletes who were successful outside of their sport vs bankrupt is about 10 to 1 in favor of those being bankrupt..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.