UA Barbershop Show “Shop Talk” (Changed to "Bama Cuts")

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Re: UA Tweets a Trailer for Show “Shop Talk”

While I am biased against Lebron, early on some posters made a valid point that this might just be his people pushing this case forward on the grounds that they have a strong case.

After hearing what Saban had to say and what ESPN had to say, there just doesn't seem to be much of a case there. On the other hand, Lebron's statement was fairly aggressive. While he might not have initiated things, it seems plausible that for some reason this might have gotten him worked up. The difference is he can't just lower his shoulder and run over Saban on the way to the basket.

Regardless, it seems like Lebron and his people won't have much to work with here. It isn't a new format, they don't seem to have a particularly powerful position, and at most it seems like a name and logo change might be in order. Basically this is just free press for Alabama, and more bad press for Lebron who really hasn't had the best year in terms of public relations.
The more I think about the unfounded validity of his claim, I wonder if this was a ploy to drive traffic to his show. The show was not well known or highly publicized. Associating it with Bama has given him free publicity. Lebron regularly says or does something to draw attention to himself when he is not the main topic the the sports new cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Julio basically just said that playing/practice at Alabama is tougher than an NFL team!!!
The other thing he said that I admire is that even though he can take it easier in the NFL he won't. In his mind his competition is the 100% Julio; that is who he compares himself to. 99% won't do.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

The more I think about the unfounded validity of his claim, I wonder if this was a ploy to drive traffic to his show. The show was not well known or highly publicized. Associating it with Bama has given him free publicity. Lebron regularly says or does something to draw attention to himself when he is not the main topic the the sports new cycle.

This is what I've wondered as well. And, if true, I think even less of him than I did before.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Well Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Penny Hardaway, Reggie Miller, Shaq O'Neal, Kenny Anderson, and the list goes on... they all have found something they are good at outside NBA life... owning a company, teams, movie, write a book, tv series... and There are current players that will do well after NBA life like Kevin Durant, Andre Iggy, Stephen Curry, Paul George, Chris Paul, LBJ, etc.
Remind me what Reggie Miller is good at again? ;)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Bingo. This has to be it. To save money and time, UA changes the name just to make sure he doesn't take legal action.

This article was from yesterday afternoon...

Does LeBron James have a case against Alabama? Lawyer explains barbershop battle

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He's saying basically the same thing many of us are saying. They have no basis for a case.
Yep.

Figure UA changed the name with the mindset of "this is stupid and not worth a legal battle (even if we would win); let's just change the name to end the discussion."

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

It’s like CNS was sitting there saying, “Not much challenge left here....hell, I can own one of the greatest NBA players of all time.”

If it’s a championship showdown, we already know the outcome.

Damn, LeBron got dunked on by a 5’6” white graandpa who can’t jump.

I’ve got a hundred of them.

On a more serious note, it’s just dumb, okay? Besides, didn’t Eddie Murphy talk sports in a barber shop in a movie?
Yes, the classic Coming to America Movie. Lowkey, Ice Cube, Cedric The Entertainer, and Nicki Minaj should be sending Bron a letter since Barbershop 3 came out two years ago. ESPN should to since Scoop Jackson and Rusty Smith (think that's his name) have done barbershop segments. Just last week Atlanta on FX had a whole episode based around a barber which I'm sure was recorded before Bron started his. I'm glad Saban won't be stopping the show, its a good an informative show for Tide nation.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Yep.

Figure UA changed the name with the mindset of "this is stupid and not worth a legal battle (even if we would win); let's just change the name to end the discussion."
I know that the letter that they sent talked about the name ("Shop Talk") and kind of the concept. But, James said the other day that he wasn't gong to let anybody use their "platform". Given that their platform is is the UNDISPUTED (I feel stupid even typing that in all caps, but I don't want Lebron getting his panties in a wad again) website, I assume he was talking about the people discussing things in a barbershop setting concept. Bama and CNS are still doing that. So, selfishly I hope LBJ continues to be butthurt and more hilarity ensues.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Well this is the first and only time LeBron has had any interaction with an institution of higher learning lol. At least he picked the best in the business.

Last edited:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Well this the first and only time LeBron has had any interaction with an institution of higher learning lol. At least he picked the best in the business.
I wouldn't say that, he has been heavily involved with Ohio State, not that they're the best in the biz lol.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

I wouldn't say that, he has been heavily involved with Ohio State, not that they're the best in the biz lol.
And that could be another reason to get Alabama to stop because now Urban has to come up with something to top this.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

And that could be another reason to get Alabama to stop because now Urban has to come up with something to top this.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Maybe he can open a colonic spa in the OSU facility and film a video of him and LeBron having a witty conversation while partaking in the spa's services. Lord knows they full of it.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Maybe he can open a colonic spa in the OSU facility and film a video of him and LeBron having a witty conversation while partaking in the spa's services. Lord knows they full of it.
Make that HIGH colonic spa. You know, "high" and inside like Saban's co-host (by seance!) of the new barbershop show, Sal "The Barber" Maglie, used to sling from the pitcher's mound. Also known as "chin music" with his "barbering" deliveries. And he played that chin music in Cuba and Mexico besides playing for the NY baseball Giants, so if Saban's using the new show to further expand his recruiting realm into heretofore untapped Tide territories...well, Sal "The Barber" is the right co-host to seance with...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

I’m glad this got worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Yep.

And this is most likely what Lebron's lawyers wanted also. I think this is the last we will hear of this now that we changed the name.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

i still dont get what his problem was. I could see if it was something blatant that could damage his product. MTV had a barbershop show called "the shop" years ago.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

i still dont get what his problem was. I could see if it was something blatant that could damage his product. MTV had a barbershop show called "the shop" years ago.
Lebron is a prima donna crybaby.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Loved Part 2---- not sure why I thought Julio was supposed to be shy, lol..... Loved watching these guys talk. Coach got his point across at the end though -- "Freshman Play at Alabama" -- if you are ready, you play.

Some quality fellas right there. Liked hearing the stories, and seeing them mature.

I still remember Coach yelling at Eddie Jackson when he was a freshman and getting abused by Amari over and over...."I'm not taking you off him Eddie!!"

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.