UA Barbershop Show “Shop Talk” (Changed to "Bama Cuts") - Page 8
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Re: UA Tweets a Trailer for Show “Shop Talk”

Yeah, pure drama by Lebron.

Coach Saban: "We're just having fun with it."

Lebron: "It's our 'platform'."

Whatever dude.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I love that Saban stated the obvious, and I expect that he had a conversation with Alabama's legal staff before saying it. Now the media will further inflame this and we will see where it goes.
    I don't see coach losing this. I think at worst they are looking at a title change. The idea of the format changing is so far fetched that it really is laughable. Bama WILL continue to make the show and now it will have even more viewers than if Lebron had said nothing at all. Let's be honest, the show is really just for Bama fans and recruits. It's just used to highlight Bama's pedigree and make high-schoolers feel like they could eventually belong to this prestigious collective. It's very niche and not at all worth getting upset about.

Look, if a company can make a "Dr. Thunder" cola that tastes remarkably like "Dr. Pepper" and get away with it then I'm pretty sure Bama can have a web show called "Shop Talk" that shares a similar formate to "The Shop."
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    ... Look, if a company can make a "Dr. Thunder" cola that tastes remarkably like "Dr. Pepper" and get away with it then I'm pretty sure Bama can have a web show called "Shop Talk" that shares a similar formate to "The Shop."
    Let's not forget Coca-Cola's own MR. PIBB - maybe LeBron could be compelled into changing his show's name to "Shop Talk with MR. PIAA (Pain in Alabama's A**)" ...

This seems pretty important to the whole discussion...

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    This seems pretty important to the whole discussion...
    If that's really how things are (and Rovell covers business), then it seems like all they did was give free publicity to Alabama.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post

And I'm pretty sure that's a phrase that UA HAS trademarked, correct?
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

Lebron is just being a jerk, nothing new here. He's acting like he created the idea of barbershop talk shows which is just laughable. According to the letter sent to UA, this isn't just about the name of the show but the whole format. You can't copyright a format otherwise there would have only ever been one news show, one sitcom, one daytime talk show, etc. They have no case except for maybe getting the name changed. The show is not going anywhere and Lebron can just deal with it. Poor little crybaby.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    Lebron is just being a jerk, nothing new here. He's acting like he created the idea of barbershop talk shows which is just laughable. According to the letter sent to UA, this isn't just about the name of the show but the whole format. You can't copyright a format otherwise there would have only ever been one news show, one sitcom, one daytime talk show, etc. They have no case except for maybe getting the name changed. The show is not going anywhere and Lebron can just deal with it. Poor little crybaby.
    About the only thing I can see UA having to do is alter the name a bit. But you're right. You cannot copyright a format.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar

Makes me despise LeBron James even more. What I really want to say I would be banned for so I'll stop here! LOL

I like Lebron, but this is getting out of hand.

Format looks to be the same here....

-- Coach Bryant

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

From an article currently on ESPN website about this topic

However, none of James' businesses have a copyright or trademark associated with "The Shop," which would make this an intellectual property claim.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

I don't believe Coach Saban would have commented the way he did unless he already knew what was going to happen. He is to planned and calculated to let that slip out.