UA Barbershop Show “Shop Talk” (Changed to "Bama Cuts") - Page 9
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Re: UA Tweets a Trailer for Show “Shop Talk”

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    They’ll change the name and keep on trucking. Talking shop in the barbershop is not a new format invented by Lebron’s agency.
    Lebron invented "talking in a barbershop" the same way aubarn invented "football teams walking into a stadium." ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    Lebron is just being a jerk, nothing new here. He's acting like he created the idea of barbershop talk shows which is just laughable. According to the letter sent to UA, this isn't just about the name of the show but the whole format. You can't copyright a format otherwise there would have only ever been one news show, one sitcom, one daytime talk show, etc. They have no case except for maybe getting the name changed. The show is not going anywhere and Lebron can just deal with it. Poor little crybaby.
    In other news - Water is still wet and fire is still hot, and LeHype James is still a "jerk".....

This is no more a valid Intellectual Property, Copyright, or "trade dress" case than the man in the moon. As noted by Cecil Hurt and many posters in this thread, the theme of people shooting the breeze in a barber shop (or a ladies hairdresser shop - same deal) is as old as the medium of television itself, and has been the theme of COUNTLESS movies since at least the 1970's. I noticed "Floyd the Barber" - a regular character in the Andy Griffith show in the 1960's. How about Shampoo from the mid-1970's?

I'd HOPE the University would (politely) tell LeHype James to go ...Uh, shall we say... "pound sand"...... But they probably won't......
    The University will cow down like they (almost) always do. The only time UA shows any backbone is when it comes to demanding more money from alums and fans......
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses..."
    Dennis of Mercia, British Statesman/Philosopher,
    (895 A.D. - ?).

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromBama View Post
    I'd HOPE the University would (politely) tell LeHype James to go ...Uh, shall we say... "pound sand"...... But they probably won't.......
    They already did.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    They already did.
    As far as we know...

Copyrights and trademarks don't necessarily require federal filing for protection - proving prior date of creation / use is often enough to prove ownership / damages.

That said, either some subtle things will change to avoid escalation or Bama's attorneys have advised that since it's not being used for profit it's fine to move forward without changing anything.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    As far as we know...

Copyrights and trademarks don't necessarily require federal filing for protection - proving prior date of creation / use is often enough to prove ownership / damages.

That said, either some subtle things will change to avoid escalation or Bama's attorneys have advised that since it's not being used for profit it's fine to move forward without changing anything.
    About the only thing Lebron could gain out of this is getting UA to change the name. But I think he has too many legal hurdles to jump to get protection against the format. Which, in the article on ESPN, seems to be his biggest beef. He says he's not going to let someone else do what he's doing. A great example of format copying is reality shows. Over the years there have been competing reality shows with dang near identical formats. If there was legal protection against formats it would have definitely surfaced in that arena.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    About the only thing Lebron could gain out of this is getting UA to change the name. But I think he has too many legal hurdles to jump to get protection against the format. Which, in the article on ESPN, seems to be his biggest beef. He says he's not going to let someone else do what he's doing. A great example of format copying is reality shows. Over the years there have been competing reality shows with dang near identical formats. If there was legal protection against formats it would have definitely surfaced in that arena.
    It really just illustrates how much of a media novice he is.
    Just because you're a genetic freak doesn't mean you'll have the same success in a different industry. I'm sure he can throw a lot of money at it and get decent returns, but people having very similar ideas and making similar style content is endemic to the entertainment industry.

Besides, with no copyrights and trademarked material actually infringed on, he is literally talking about intellectual property and he would lose that battle decisively. He needs to get some outside opinions and get some perspective on this situation.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I am loving every bit of this. If this all makes one of, if not the biggest names in sports shut up and take it from Coach Saban and Alabama that would elevate our brand even more than it already is.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

It's laughable that LBJ thinks that one can copyright something like this. What's next? I saw an ad / video with LBJ and Kevin Durant talking in the back seat of an Uber. Very similar to the barbershop talk but just riding in the back of an Uber. I guess no one else can film and produce a conversation in the back of an Uber since LBJ now owns that "format" also ..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    It's laughable that LBJ thinks that one can copyright something like this. What's next? I saw an ad / video with LBJ and Kevin Durant talking in the back seat of an Uber. Very similar to the barbershop talk but just riding in the back of an Uber. I guess no one else can film and produce a conversation in the back of an Uber since LBJ now owns that "format" also ..
    As you would suspect, he wasn't the first to do that, either. Click
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

FB|BB Moderator

The setups are undeniably similar. Thing is, I don’t know if that constitutes copyright infringement or not.

I’d have to think the University vetted this with some knowledgeable counsel before Saban publicly told him to pound sand.

Are there any IP lawyers out there? I’d love to see an informed opinion on the merits of both sides here.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I like Lebron, but this is getting out of hand.

Format looks to be the same here....

Kinda random but this is a great show btw. Jerry Seinfeld with John Oliver(ducks) was my favorite episode but there are a ton of good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    As far as we know...

Correct. We went to a "first to file" country in patents several years ago but we're still common law WRT copyrights and trademarks...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

While I am biased against Lebron, early on some posters made a valid point that this might just be his people pushing this case forward on the grounds that they have a strong case.

After hearing what Saban had to say and what ESPN had to say, there just doesn't seem to be much of a case there. On the other hand, Lebron's statement was fairly aggressive. While he might not have initiated things, it seems plausible that for some reason this might have gotten him worked up. The difference is he can't just lower his shoulder and run over Saban on the way to the basket.

Regardless, it seems like Lebron and his people won't have much to work with here. It isn't a new format, they don't seem to have a particularly powerful position, and at most it seems like a name and logo change might be in order. Basically this is just free press for Alabama, and more bad press for Lebron who really hasn't had the best year in terms of public relations.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Correct. We went to a "first to file" country in patents several years ago but we're still common law WRT copyrights and trademarks...
    And even patents are subject to numerous avenues for legal challenges in regards to prior art claims.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.