UA Barbershop Show “Shop Talk” (Changed to "Bama Cuts")

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Re: UA Tweets a Trailer for Show “Shop Talk”

Someone from President Johnson's family or estate needs to send James a notice not to use the term LBJ since it too is an infringement issue.
Or you know, have that guy in your avatar become the emissary between the two LBJs' estates - 'cause as you know he already has exhibited a "personal" familiarity

with the less-threatening (less-offensive [minded]?) of the two...even been conferred with honors

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Is that you Skip Bayless?
How dare you call me such a horrible name! That is just too far.

My opinion of LeBron has always been the same (did not know or care what some idiot with his own show thinks). LeBron's massive ego to honestly think he is the first person to ever come up with this idea is just dumb. This is a waste of time. He was getting ripped apart this morning by some sports talk guys here in Atlanta (who have been doing something similar for several years.) They were jokingly saying they should sue Lebron James.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

Lebron is a great person who has been the best player in his sport for over a decade and has not had one single problem off the court while helping with a variety of charities. His handlers get him into trouble sometimes such as his exit from Cleveland and Miami.

Alabama did get too close to his show's title and branding while using a very similar format. I imagine that the social media people will be getting greater legal oversight now because this was a pretty bad faux pas by the AD. He's not being a punk. He's protecting a his own business interests.

I have not seen Lebron's show and will not. But if Bama's show is that similar to his, then he stole his format and title from Al Sharpton. In 2007, Al Sharpton had a TV show called Sharp Talk that had regular guys discussing issues of the day at a barbershop while folks were getting haircuts. Like what goes on at barbershops all across America.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I have not seen Lebron's show and will not. But if Bama's show is that similar to his, then he stole his format and title from Al Sharpton. In 2007, Al Sharpton had a TV show called Sharp Talk that had regular guys discussing issues of the day at a barbershop while folks were getting haircuts. Like what goes on at barbershops all across America.
Well also that idiot Rob Parker had one in the Detroit area that he did for the news.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'd quote what Lebron said word for word, but I don't think I can do that here. Basically he claims that Alabama is doing what he's doing and he won't allow it.

I know this thread is full of nice things being said about Lebron, and how he's not involved in this... but I have also been watching him for years and I see a narcissistic diva.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I love that Saban stated the obvious, and I expect that he had a conversation with Alabama's legal staff before saying it. Now the media will further inflame this and we will see where it goes.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003

Coach just pimp slapped Lebron with that rebuttal. Walk off pimp slap at that!

Savage! as the kids say

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Yeah, pure drama by Lebron.

Coach Saban: "We're just having fun with it."

Lebron: "It's our 'platform'." :rolleyes:

Whatever dude.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

I love that Saban stated the obvious, and I expect that he had a conversation with Alabama's legal staff before saying it. Now the media will further inflame this and we will see where it goes.
I don't see coach losing this. I think at worst they are looking at a title change. The idea of the format changing is so far fetched that it really is laughable. Bama WILL continue to make the show and now it will have even more viewers than if Lebron had said nothing at all. Let's be honest, the show is really just for Bama fans and recruits. It's just used to highlight Bama's pedigree and make high-schoolers feel like they could eventually belong to this prestigious collective. It's very niche and not at all worth getting upset about.

Look, if a company can make a "Dr. Thunder" cola that tastes remarkably like "Dr. Pepper" and get away with it then I'm pretty sure Bama can have a web show called "Shop Talk" that shares a similar formate to "The Shop."

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

... Look, if a company can make a "Dr. Thunder" cola that tastes remarkably like "Dr. Pepper" and get away with it then I'm pretty sure Bama can have a web show called "Shop Talk" that shares a similar formate to "The Shop."
Let's not forget Coca-Cola's own MR. PIBB - maybe LeBron could be compelled into changing his show's name to "Shop Talk with MR. PIAA (Pain in Alabama's A**)" ...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

This seems pretty important to the whole discussion...
If that's really how things are (and Rovell covers business), then it seems like all they did was give free publicity to Alabama.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Lebron is just being a jerk, nothing new here. He's acting like he created the idea of barbershop talk shows which is just laughable. According to the letter sent to UA, this isn't just about the name of the show but the whole format. You can't copyright a format otherwise there would have only ever been one news show, one sitcom, one daytime talk show, etc. They have no case except for maybe getting the name changed. The show is not going anywhere and Lebron can just deal with it. Poor little crybaby.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Lebron is just being a jerk, nothing new here. He's acting like he created the idea of barbershop talk shows which is just laughable. According to the letter sent to UA, this isn't just about the name of the show but the whole format. You can't copyright a format otherwise there would have only ever been one news show, one sitcom, one daytime talk show, etc. They have no case except for maybe getting the name changed. The show is not going anywhere and Lebron can just deal with it. Poor little crybaby.
About the only thing I can see UA having to do is alter the name a bit. But you're right. You cannot copyright a format.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.