Story of Jeremy Pruitt from Bama to TN

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've never heard anything bad about Dabo's reputation, when he was at Bama or wherever. You might want to delete that slur.
Lets just say that there is a very very good reason Franchione was told he couldn't hire Dabo as a position coach. Most Dubose coaches have some really dirty hands because they were instructed to do dirty things. Arians was lucky he got fired year 1 or there could be a different narrative on his career. Dabo is very fortunate at how things turned out for him, and that he was able to show he is a very good coach.

When CNS does retire, there is going to be some strong behind closed doors resistance on hiring Dabo from the BOT and some of the 61 crew if they are still alive because of the Dubose era. I fully expect at the very least Dabo would get a public offer, but if it is a "real" or fair offer remains to be seen.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just remember that when leaving LSU Nick suggested Houston Nutt to replace him. I don't think Saban needs to be a part of the hiring process of who replaces him.
Honestly I don't want the MAN to decide because we have been burned twice on public endorsements by CPB and CGS. Whoever is hired will have 5 years to run wild on college football with the last 5 CNS recruiting classes, but after that its up to the new guy.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Lets just say that there is a very very good reason Franchione was told he couldn't hire Dabo as a position coach. Most Dubose coaches have some really dirty hands because they were instructed to do dirty things. Arians was lucky he got fired year 1 or there could be a different narrative on his career. Dabo is very fortunate at how things turned out for him, and that he was able to show he is a very good coach.

When CNS does retire, there is going to be some strong behind closed doors resistance on hiring Dabo from the BOT and some of the 61 crew if they are still alive because of the Dubose era. I fully expect at the very least Dabo would get a public offer, but if it is a "real" or fair offer remains to be seen.
I’m not one to name drop and I’m no insider but when I was a graduate teaching assistant at Bama in ‘97 I had a conversation over a few beers with Bruce Arians down at Jackie’s Lounge (idk if that still exists)...he said some really worrisome things about how one of our receivers became eligible to play and the moment he found out I was employed by the university he got very quiet and left soon thereafter...it was pretty clear to me he was a shady dude.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m not one to name drop and I’m no insider but when I was a graduate teaching assistant at Bama in ‘97 I had a conversation over a few beers with Bruce Arians down at Jackie’s Lounge (idk if that still exists)...he said some really worrisome things about how one of our receivers became eligible to play and the moment he found out I was employed by the university he got very quiet and left soon thereafter...it was pretty clear to me he was a shady dude.
If you got that feeling about a guy that had been a coach for two decades (at 97) just think what a young position coach with very little say so and little exposure in his college career would probably do if the Dumbo tells him to jump in the air.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
If you got that feeling about a guy that had been a coach for two decades (at 97) just think what a young position coach with very little say so and little exposure in his college career would probably do if the Dumbo tells him to jump in the air.
it was in large part what he told me about this player and how he "took" his entrance exams and that kind of stuff.
all i could think was "oh, boy...we just got hit in '95 and we're doing this kind of stuff?"

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
If the BOT/etc is willing to pass on Dabo over some stuff he may (or may not) have done 20 years ago (and was likely directed to do it), and completely overlook what he has done at Clemson, they're in worse shape than could possibly be described...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If the BOT/etc is willing to pass on Dabo over some stuff he may (or may not) have done 20 years ago (and was likely directed to do it), and completely overlook what he has done at Clemson, they're in worse shape than could possibly be described...
This is how I tend to feel about the matter, too. Dabo was a young coach who was probably just following orders. He has done an incredible job at Clemson. He was an interim guy who got a break when they hired him for the permanent gig, and he has made the most out of it. I'm not sure if he would even want to return to the scrutiny of Bama since he now has it made at Clemson, but he would be the first on my list. Of course, as others have mentioned, who knows who will be the hot names in coaching by the time Saban retires in ten years or so. :)

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Back to the original topic... Fulmer Hires Pruitt is a book. Really? I can't really believe this is a book that needed to be written.

It's pretty ironic that much of the book appears to be about or related to Alabama.

Fulmer Hires Pruitt is an electronic book that focuses on Pruitt’s time from his Middle Tennessee State playing days, to transferring to Alabama, then being a graduate assistant at Alabama, coaching with his Dad and coaching his brother in high school, to coaching at West Alabama, Hoover, Alabama, Florida State, Georgia and eventually being hired at Tennessee.

Last edited:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
It is not a slur. There were issues or at least potential issues. Earl has alluded to them on several occasions. Those that hold Dabo up on this pedestal might be severely disappointed.
I've never heard anything bad about Dabo's reputation, when he was at Bama or wherever. You might want to delete that slur.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This thread has evolved into a discussion of Dabo Swinney.

My thoughts on him have changed over the years, mostly as time has gone by and as he's matured and gotten more comfortable in his own skin.

I think Dabo probably was dirty when he coached under Mike Dubose. So was every other one of his assistants. At the time, Dabo was in his first collegiate job, had no established reputation, and a career to build. It hasn't seemed to repeat itself since he got out on his own. He's recruited great, and has stayed as clean as any elite program is.

He's also matured past a lot of the manic rah-rah stuff of his youth, and I expect that to continue.

So yeah, there was a time I would have opposed Dabo coming back. Those days are gone. I'd support him whole-heartedly.

Whether he'd come or not, I don't know. Honestly, I can't come up with a logical reason why he would. He has money, facilities, money for staff, control over the program, and is a god at Clemson.

So why leave all that? The only reason I see would be emotional -- to be the Head Coach at The University of Alabama. As fans, that's plenty good enough for us. But if you have all he has in Clemson, would you risk it to move anywhere? I'm not sure I would.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Back to the original topic... Fulmer Hires Pruitt is a book. Really? I can't really believe this is a book that needed to be written.
It will be popular in TN dentists office's.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Just remember that when leaving LSU Nick suggested Houston Nutt to replace him. I don't think Saban needs to be a part of the hiring process of who replaces him.
Perhaps that was by design. Do you really think his legacy at LSU compares to his legacy at Bama? He may have been wanting to get back at LSU.

Whoever we get won’t be him. So, anyone will be a downgrade.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm willing to spot Dabo that - yes, that was a long time ago and so far as we can tell Clemson is running things within reason.

However, one thing I WOULD expect is for him to FULLY disclose what happened, anything he was involved with THEN, and what he learned from it and what he learned from it.

And if he doesn't disclose what is already factually known, say, "Nice talking to you."

That being said - Phil Fulmer, fat as he is, will spend the recollection of fans as nothing more than IN THE SHADOW of Alabama (which is one helluva big shadow ya gotta admit).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.