Alabama's Ben Davis reacts to fan attention, first shot at playing time

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i..._reacts_to_fan_attent.html#incart_river_index

Davis redshirted his first year in Tuscaloosa. After the season, he told AL.com he wasn't expecting to sit out the year but a preseason ankle injury was a contributing factor. The transition to college was a little harder than expected "at first" before settling in, too.
That first year was spent adding 20 pounds of muscle with the focus turning toward 2017. Then in the spring, he moved to outside linebacker.
Davis had a simple answer when asked where he grew the most last season.
"I'd definitely say playbook," he said. "Learning the defense. Changing positions to outside linebacker, learning more about that position."
Remember the discussions we had about Davis?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Yeah, me thinks we are going to need him a lot this fall.
I hope we don't "need" him b/c with Miller, Lewis, Jennings and Allen all at OLB that means we have major injury issues. That said, I hope he steps up and does so well this spring and the fall that they can't keep him off the field. He has the natural talent to be a player.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I hope we don't "need" him b/c with Miller, Lewis, Jennings and Allen all at OLB that means we have major injury issues. That said, I hope he steps up and does so well this spring and the fall that they can't keep him off the field. He has the natural talent to be a player.
OLB is stacked. in addition to who you listed, we've got Parks as a greyshirt who looks ready to contribute and is already on campus, then Anoma, J. Davis, and Latu all showing up in the fall and will likely be slotted into the OLB corp. That's why Ben Davis has moved back inside. Hate that he's still running back with the 3s and would really like him to step forward, but if he stays with that line, your comment on hoping we don't need him will stay true for sure. Let's hope we never have to get as deep into the LB rotation as we did in 2017!

aldo

BamaNation Citizen
May 8, 2010
I hope he does well, but pace the thread title, this is not Ben's first shot at playing time. This may be getting close to his last shot.
Is he a redshirt Freshman? If so, why are you so negative about his ability/potential? I am pulling for this young man to do well. Please explain why you feel this way.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I sure hope the "injury bug" stays away from our team this year, especially our LB'ing group, it's amazing to think we won a NC with all our injuries to our LB'ing group..It would've crippled any other team..

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
If the only, or main, thing keeping him off the field last year was the playbook, it makes me wonder why he was never able to get out there on special teams.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Like I said in the other thread, sometimes it just takes kids a couple of years to figure it out no matter how many or little stars they have.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm pulling for Ben and I think most Tide fans are too. I would like to see him forget about player ratings and just go out and do your best. Maybe he'll break out this spring and I really hope the light comes on.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
He's a redshirt sophomore. He's been passed by younger guys.
Not really sure younger guys passed him other than Dylan Moses but he is a freak of nature. Everyone else that played last year was either an upper class-man to him or same class as is the case with Mack Wilson. Coming in I remember everyone expecting Mack to be ready sooner. This will be the year that tells the tale.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not really sure younger guys passed him other than Dylan Moses but he is a freak of nature. Everyone else that played last year was either an upper class-man to him or same class as is the case with Mack Wilson. Coming in I remember everyone expecting Mack to be ready sooner. This will be the year that tells the tale.
Depends on the position since Ben has practiced at ILB and OLB. Christopher Allen, VanDarius Cowan and Dylan Moses all played before Ben did, and they came in a season after him. Terrell Lewis (same class as Davis) started against FSU at OLB.

The fact he didn't play on ST while the others did indicates he was passed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't really care why he hasn't seen the field to this point. It clearly has not hurt Alabama. My hope is that he has the lights come on and is able to contribute going forward. He looks like someone who has the physical tools. His HS tape is freakish.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Depends on the position since Ben has practiced at ILB and OLB. Christopher Allen, VanDarius Cowan and Dylan Moses all played before Ben did, and they came in a season after him. Terrell Lewis (same class as Davis) started against FSU at OLB.

benton is also a year younger and he is taking ILB reps with the 2s while Davis is back with the 3s.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Folks are doing their dead level best to ignore this. Raw talent and just the bare knowledge to follow a few rules will get you on the field on ST...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.