Roseanne premiers to massive ratings (update: she's fired)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Re: Roseanne premiers to massive ratings

I live in a bubble of my own making...I've heard her voice today for the first time since she was on tv way back when. Glory, the sound of her voice alone, a whiny, nasal twang, is like fingernails on a caulk board. And people would tune her in for entertainment?

And that's without even paying attention to what she says.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I don't know why they canceled the show and put all those people out of work because of one person. They should have just fired her.....and kept the show going. Might have even been a better show...who knows?

Who would be her replacement in the show though?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/29/roseannes-racist-tweet-leads-almost-imme

It's also unfortunate that her inability to show any sort of personal restraint doomed the show. I watched most (but not all) of the first season of the Roseanne reboot, and it's important to note that both Roseanne the character and Roseannethe show did not operate with the same attitude as Roseanne the real-life woman.
While both Roseannes are big supporters of President Donald Trump, the show was very thoughtful in its portrayal of a wide variety of ideological perspectives and how these family members navigated them, mostly through amusing bickering matches. Because of the show's rich history and years of character work, these political divides didn't feel like fronts; they felt lived-in and real. The conflicts played out as though they involved real people, not social-media constructs trying to score points off their eternal enemies. The show was not about which side was right and which side was wrong but how families deal with real-world problems as move forward through their lives.
Mirrors my sentiments.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I don't know why they canceled the show and put all those people out of work because of one person. They should have just fired her.....and kept the show going. Might have even been a better show...who knows?

Who would be her replacement in the show though?
maybe because the show is called roseanne and it is her show? and "they" didn't put those folks out of work. she did.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

maybe because the show is called roseanne and it is her show? and "they" didn't put those folks out of work. she did.
I feel bad for those out of work - would have been great to keep the show going and just give her the boot. Put a black/Muslim actress in her place. Show would be a huge hit. Karma......

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

I feel bad for those out of work - would have been great to keep the show going and just give her the boot.
Maybe going to work on a show with a racist conspiracy nut portraying the titled character wasn't the right career move in the first place.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

No doubt but at the time maybe it was their best option....who knows.....
Maybe so but you'd have to know this was a realistic possibility upon taking the job if they have any sense.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, I’ll be watching just as many episodes in the future as I watched in the past - and my life won’t be any more full or empty because of it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I never watched her original show and have not seen her new show, so I simply do not care what happens to her. Plus she is overweight and unattractive.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

They could have just killed the Roseanne character off or have her kidnapped or something...lots of options. Too late now, I guess.....
The more I think about it...ABC missed a golden opportunity here...They could have plugged Rosie O'Donald in her place and I bet the ratings would have spiked again.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Skinheads would have made good perps.
Or they could have blamed it on those 13 Gang Members that Fox and Trump have people so worked up over.

#######

I now see Rob Reiner has reminded people Roseanne had Trump's approval earlier in the season, and wonders if Trump will comment on her firing. The choice he offers Trump is to denounce her now, infuriating his base, or show her his support, which would disgust everybody else.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Or they could have blamed it on those 13 Gang Members that Fox and Trump have people so worked up over.

#######

I now see Rob Reiner has reminded people Roseanne had Trump's approval earlier in the season, and wonders if Trump will comment on her firing. The choice he offers Trump is to denounce her now, infuriating his base, or show her his support, which would disgust everybody else.
It amazes me in the age of Trump that anyone is stupid enough to think it matters. Reiner is playing an old game of “if you don’t renounce X, you endorse it.”

That’s an old trick and if had any salience anymore, Trump wouldn’t be President in the first place.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.