Roseanne premiers to massive ratings (update: she's fired)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
you knew exactly who and what you were voting for, there was no slight of hand. once you and others voted trump into office, it by definition became political. you're not going to get a lot of support for "can't we all just get a long" and "it's all the media's fault"
I agree.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well eventually people will forgive Roseanne. It happens all the time. Countless celebrities have said or done racist, stupid, horrible things and over time they have gotten new shows or their old gig. Either people just forget or they forgive or just outright ignore it after some time has passed.

And of course somehow the usual suspects have turned this into a Trump thread.
the people who voted for a malignant, race-baiting narcissist as president pretty much made everything about him once they voted him into office.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
the people who voted for a malignant, race-baiting narcissist as president pretty much made everything about him once they voted him into office.
Not to mention that you know, Roseanne has supported Trump, played a Trump supporter on TV and the fact that Trump somewhat recently hyped up Roseanne's ratings. Its perfectly reasonable for Trump to be part of this conversation.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not to mention that you know, Roseanne has supported Trump, played a Trump supporter on TV and the fact that Trump somewhat recently hyped up Roseanne's ratings. Its perfectly reasonable for Trump to be part of this conversation.
whats really happening is snowflake sjw liberals are continually pwning conservatives in a game of "why do you keep hitting yourself" and making them do all of these god awful things against their will.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
yeah, about that ...
As long as I am imagining...

My guess is the founders of Led Zepplin are as disgusted with Trump as I am.

One of my childhood friends has gone full Trump, despite his strong hippie background. Paul McCartney was his idol, he even had a Hofner bass like Paul's. We had a conversation recently...I asked him about his stance on guns and sure enough...the more the better...

So I mentioned that McCartney had marched in NYC against gun violence, and had even remarked to a reporter that he had a friend murdered by a gun nut close to where they were marching.

When we were teenagers my buddy and I actually went to a Ted Nugent/Amboy Dukes concert, and concluded he was an overrated joke with very poor musical chops. We never dreamed that years later, my friend would have more in common with Ted Nugent's values than he does with Paul McCartney's. He did not really appreciate my pointing that out, but I thought it needed to be said.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't care how many times someone else (arguably) cried wolf prematurely. Once you see the wolf yourself, it's entirely on you if it's ignored.
It isn't arguably and if you don't GET the concept of "the boy who cried wolf," I can't do anything for you.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It isn't arguably and if you don't GET the concept of "the boy who cried wolf," I can't do anything for you.
the concept of the boy who cried wolf is that until the last instance, there was no actual wolf. just because you don't think that the southern strategy, reagan talking about states rights in mississippi, willie horton, etc were racist, doesn't make it so.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Again, in my opinion, there was a deliberate appeal to racism when Reagan kicked off his Presidential campaign in Philadelphia Mississippi with a speech on "states rights."
He didn't give a speech on "states rights." That's all part of the after the fact myth.

Here's what he said:
Today, and I know from our own experience in California when we reformed welfare, I know that one of the great tragedies of welfare in America today, and I don't believe stereotype after what we did, of people in need who are there simply because they prefer to be there. We found the overwhelming majority would like nothing better than to be out, with jobs for the future, and out here in the society with the rest of us. The trouble is, again, that bureaucracy has them so economically trapped that there is no way they can get away. And they're trapped because that bureaucracy needs them as a clientele to preserve the jobs of the bureaucrats themselves.

I believe that there are programs like that, programs like education and others, that should be turned back to the states and the local communities with the tax sources to fund them, and let the people [applause drowns out end of statement].

I believe in state's rights; I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level. And I believe that we've distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended in the constitution to that federal establishment. And if I do get the job I'm looking for, I'm going to devote myself to trying to reorder those priorities and to restore to the states and local communities those functions which properly belong there.

=====

Now whether you agree with his solution or not, there's nothing at all racist about that speech. Hell, like Willie Horton, most folks never even knew about it until years later. It became a slogan. In the same campaign, Reagan vehemently denounced an endorsement by a local chapter of the Klan (recall that Trump tried to act like he didn't even know who David Duke was).

Incidentally, there was ONE CANDIDATE running in 1980 who not only was a member of a segregated church but who stayed a member of that church for years AFTER that church voted to keep that policy on the books. It wasn't Ronald Reagan, either, it was President Carter.

The "Southern Strategy" back then was intended to welcome racists from the Dem party into the GOP. The dog whistle of GOP racism has been replaced with a bullhorn by Trump.
No, it wasn't. You're regurgitating a myth like the one where Bill Buckner's error lost game six (game was tied when he made the error but folks don't seem to recall that - even the ones who watched it).

The Southern strategy in 1968 was more of a "border states" strategy. And any sort of 1968 racism would have been counter-productive anyway since a certain racist governor of Alabama was running for the racists.

What states are you suggesting Nixon won on racism? Alabama? Nixon finished third in a three man race. Same for Mississippi. He also finished third in Louisiana and second in both Arkansas and Georgia.

What southern states are you alleging he won? Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia? He won those in 1960 AND as Ike's VP candidate in 1956.

I know what the accusation is - good luck finding actual PROOF of it. Other than Strom Thurmond, who left the Democratic Party and became Republicans, huh? I mean, you're the one making the age old accusation. John Stennis, James Eastland, Robert Byrd, Al Gore Sr, George Wallace, on and on and on.

And Jimmy Carter carrying pretty much the entire south in 1976 (save Virginia) pretty much refutes the claim. What happened? Did the racists all jump from Nixon to Carter to Reagan?

The EASY thing to do is say, "We lost because of a bunch of racists." It's like the GOP myth about losing to Clinton because of Perot in 1992. Makes folks feel good but not an ounce of truth to it. The HARD thing to do (and it took the Democrats 25 years to grasp it) is to say, "They rejected what we were offering."
There was nothing racist about Nixon's 1968 campaign ("oh, he said law and order" - yeah, so did RFK), nothing racist about Reagan's 1980 campaign, and nothing wrong with Dukakis saying, "What I did in Massachusetts, I can do for America" and the Bush campaign saying, "Hey, here's what he did about crime in MA." Nothing wrong with that at all.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
the concept of the boy who cried wolf is that until the last instance, there was no actual wolf. just because you don't think that the southern strategy, reagan talking about states rights in mississippi, willie horton, etc were racist, doesn't make it so.
Just because you think it "was" doesn't make it so.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
As long as I am imagining...

My guess is the founders of Led Zepplin are as disgusted with Trump as I am.

One of my childhood friends has gone full Trump, despite his strong hippie background. Paul McCartney was his idol, he even had a Hofner bass like Paul's. We had a conversation recently...I asked him about his stance on guns and sure enough...the more the better...

So I mentioned that McCartney had marched in NYC against gun violence, and had even remarked to a reporter that he had a friend murdered by a gun nut close to where they were marching.

When we were teenagers my buddy and I actually went to a Ted Nugent/Amboy Dukes concert, and concluded he was an overrated joke with very poor musical chops. We never dreamed that years later, my friend would have more in common with Ted Nugent's values than he does with Paul McCartney's. He did not really appreciate my pointing that out, but I thought it needed to be said.
Good story.

So...why do you think your friend sees things differently than you do, despite his strong hippie background?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
He didn't give a speech on "states rights." That's all part of the after the fact myth.

Here's what he said:
Today, and I know from our own experience in California when we reformed welfare, I know that one of the great tragedies of welfare in America today, and I don't believe stereotype after what we did, of people in need who are there simply because they prefer to be there. We found the overwhelming majority would like nothing better than to be out, with jobs for the future, and out here in the society with the rest of us. The trouble is, again, that bureaucracy has them so economically trapped that there is no way they can get away. And they're trapped because that bureaucracy needs them as a clientele to preserve the jobs of the bureaucrats themselves.

I believe that there are programs like that, programs like education and others, that should be turned back to the states and the local communities with the tax sources to fund them, and let the people [applause drowns out end of statement].

I believe in state's rights; I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level. And I believe that we've distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended in the constitution to that federal establishment. And if I do get the job I'm looking for, I'm going to devote myself to trying to reorder those priorities and to restore to the states and local communities those functions which properly belong there.

=====

Now whether you agree with his solution or not, there's nothing at all racist about that speech. Hell, like Willie Horton, most folks never even knew about it until years later. It became a slogan. In the same campaign, Reagan vehemently denounced an endorsement by a local chapter of the Klan (recall that Trump tried to act like he didn't even know who David Duke was).

Incidentally, there was ONE CANDIDATE running in 1980 who not only was a member of a segregated church but who stayed a member of that church for years AFTER that church voted to keep that policy on the books. It wasn't Ronald Reagan, either, it was President Carter.

No, it wasn't. You're regurgitating a myth like the one where Bill Buckner's error lost game six (game was tied when he made the error but folks don't seem to recall that - even the ones who watched it).

The Southern strategy in 1968 was more of a "border states" strategy. And any sort of 1968 racism would have been counter-productive anyway since a certain racist governor of Alabama was running for the racists.

What states are you suggesting Nixon won on racism? Alabama? Nixon finished third in a three man race. Same for Mississippi. He also finished third in Louisiana and second in both Arkansas and Georgia.

What southern states are you alleging he won? Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia? He won those in 1960 AND as Ike's VP candidate in 1956.

I know what the accusation is - good luck finding actual PROOF of it. Other than Strom Thurmond, who left the Democratic Party and became Republicans, huh? I mean, you're the one making the age old accusation. John Stennis, James Eastland, Robert Byrd, Al Gore Sr, George Wallace, on and on and on.

And Jimmy Carter carrying pretty much the entire south in 1976 (save Virginia) pretty much refutes the claim. What happened? Did the racists all jump from Nixon to Carter to Reagan?

The EASY thing to do is say, "We lost because of a bunch of racists." It's like the GOP myth about losing to Clinton because of Perot in 1992. Makes folks feel good but not an ounce of truth to it. The HARD thing to do (and it took the Democrats 25 years to grasp it) is to say, "They rejected what we were offering."
There was nothing racist about Nixon's 1968 campaign ("oh, he said law and order" - yeah, so did RFK), nothing racist about Reagan's 1980 campaign, and nothing wrong with Dukakis saying, "What I did in Massachusetts, I can do for America" and the Bush campaign saying, "Hey, here's what he did about crime in MA." Nothing wrong with that at all.
Please don't confuse us with facts, Bill......:D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.