Roseanne premiers to massive ratings (update: she's fired)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Friend of mine who just retired from the film biz in Hollywood and worked for Disney for years said Disney (who own's ABC) is also going to own Fox at some point in near future.

Saying that for those saying Rosanne will be picked up by Fox.

Not so fast my friend......

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
He didn't give a speech on "states rights." That's all part of the after the fact myth.

Here's what he said:
Today, and I know from our own experience in California when we reformed welfare, I know that one of the great tragedies of welfare in America today, and I don't believe stereotype after what we did, of people in need who are there simply because they prefer to be there. We found the overwhelming majority would like nothing better than to be out, with jobs for the future, and out here in the society with the rest of us. The trouble is, again, that bureaucracy has them so economically trapped that there is no way they can get away. And they're trapped because that bureaucracy needs them as a clientele to preserve the jobs of the bureaucrats themselves.

I believe that there are programs like that, programs like education and others, that should be turned back to the states and the local communities with the tax sources to fund them, and let the people [applause drowns out end of statement].

I believe in state's rights; I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level. And I believe that we've distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended in the constitution to that federal establishment. And if I do get the job I'm looking for, I'm going to devote myself to trying to reorder those priorities and to restore to the states and local communities those functions which properly belong there.

=====

Now whether you agree with his solution or not, there's nothing at all racist about that speech. Hell, like Willie Horton, most folks never even knew about it until years later. It became a slogan. In the same campaign, Reagan vehemently denounced an endorsement by a local chapter of the Klan (recall that Trump tried to act like he didn't even know who David Duke was).

Incidentally, there was ONE CANDIDATE running in 1980 who not only was a member of a segregated church but who stayed a member of that church for years AFTER that church voted to keep that policy on the books. It wasn't Ronald Reagan, either, it was President Carter.

No, it wasn't. You're regurgitating a myth like the one where Bill Buckner's error lost game six (game was tied when he made the error but folks don't seem to recall that - even the ones who watched it).

The Southern strategy in 1968 was more of a "border states" strategy. And any sort of 1968 racism would have been counter-productive anyway since a certain racist governor of Alabama was running for the racists.

What states are you suggesting Nixon won on racism? Alabama? Nixon finished third in a three man race. Same for Mississippi. He also finished third in Louisiana and second in both Arkansas and Georgia.

What southern states are you alleging he won? Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia? He won those in 1960 AND as Ike's VP candidate in 1956.

I know what the accusation is - good luck finding actual PROOF of it. Other than Strom Thurmond, who left the Democratic Party and became Republicans, huh? I mean, you're the one making the age old accusation. John Stennis, James Eastland, Robert Byrd, Al Gore Sr, George Wallace, on and on and on.

And Jimmy Carter carrying pretty much the entire south in 1976 (save Virginia) pretty much refutes the claim. What happened? Did the racists all jump from Nixon to Carter to Reagan?

The EASY thing to do is say, "We lost because of a bunch of racists." It's like the GOP myth about losing to Clinton because of Perot in 1992. Makes folks feel good but not an ounce of truth to it. The HARD thing to do (and it took the Democrats 25 years to grasp it) is to say, "They rejected what we were offering."
There was nothing racist about Nixon's 1968 campaign ("oh, he said law and order" - yeah, so did RFK), nothing racist about Reagan's 1980 campaign, and nothing wrong with Dukakis saying, "What I did in Massachusetts, I can do for America" and the Bush campaign saying, "Hey, here's what he did about crime in MA." Nothing wrong with that at all.
Are you familiar with the background, what had actually happened in Philadelphia Ms.? Your post suggests you either aren't, or simply don't understand why that specific location was selected to kick off the Presidential campaign, and paired with going on about the George Wallace dog whistle "states rights" garbage.

I'm not regurgitating a myth, you are. So there. :eek2: :D

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have taken Ambien on occasion for years and it has not made me post racist (but out of character) stuff.
Unless any of you has disliked anything I have every posted, in which case the Ambien made me do it.
one of my wife's friends had a stretch where she was taking it and would send random emails at 2-3 am. i don't recall hearing about them being bad, but she never remembered sending them.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Trump tweets about Roseanne.

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump
Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?
10:31 AM - May 30, 2018

Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., also came under fire for retweeting Barr’s tweets about Soros and Clinton

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump
Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?

Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., also came under fire for retweeting Barr’s tweets about Soros and Clinton
He's too stupid to know the difference:rolleyes: (or he thinks we are)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have taken Ambien on occasion for years and it has not made me post racist (but out of character) stuff.
Unless any of you has disliked anything I have every posted, in which case the Ambien made me do it.
We have a member who is unfortunately on permanent ban from mixing Ambien and alcohol and posting downright crazy stuff in the wee hours...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump

another entitled powerful white guy trying to make a discussion about a racist act about his grievances. except this one is president.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Who knows? I figure maybe some evangelical lead him astray. :D
I thought the part of him being a hippie had some kind of meaning to the story.....

According to Merriam Webster the definition of a hippie is:
a usually young person who rejects the mores of established society (as by dressing unconventionally or favoring communal living) and advocates a nonviolent ethic; broadly : a long-haired unconventionally dressed young person
Trump seems like someone who rejects established society...not to mention established Washington protocol. So maybe that's the tie-in?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
And make light of killing children as "dark humor", but it's not us, it's you.
So if I'm getting this right using humor to deal with repeated tragedies where no progress is being made towards solutions is on the same level as a "joke" calling a black person an ape?

Although I guess in a lot of current right wing circles not being able to say whatever they want about black people is one of their biggest tragedies they have to cope with because they sure don't seem to care about the killed children very much.

Heck just yesterday I was in a store with two guys that were bemoaning the fact that they can't use the word porch monkey anymore. After all their grandma used to say it and she didn't mean anything by it so it should be okay.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I must admit to a couple of buzzed posts in my previous life here. It was my sober posts that, um, caused some discussion. ;)
That's me Slab. I tend to be more contentious when I'm stone cold sober. Post-cocktail hour, I tend to be more circumspect and reluctant to spar.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So if I'm getting this right using humor to deal with repeated tragedies where no progress is being made towards solutions is on the same level as a "joke" calling a black person an ape?

Although I guess in a lot of current right wing circles not being able to say whatever they want about black people is one of their biggest tragedies they have to cope with because they sure don't seem to care about the killed children very much.

Heck just yesterday I was in a store with two guys that were bemoaning the fact that they can't use the word porch monkey anymore. After all their grandma used to say it and she didn't mean anything by it so it should be okay.
at least you got some clarity on who the real victims are

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.