Link: Alabama Hires Former NFL LB Coach as Analyst

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Alabama has added a longtime NFL assistant to its staff.

The Crimson Tide has hired Lou Spanos as an analyst, sources told AL.com.

The 47-year old was the Tennessee Titans' linebackers coach the last four seasons but wasn't retained by new Titans coach Mike Vrabel.

Spanos was previously UCLA's defensive coordinator under Jim Mora for two seasons.

Prior to UCLA, he was the Washington Redskins' linebackers coach in 2010 and 2011 after 15 years as a defensive assistant with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Love this. Kinda unsure how he was available for this kind of job tbh. He has worked with LBs like Anthony Barr, James Harrison, Ryan Kerrigan and Brian Orako (twice).

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Note his most recent state of employment - thank heaven for Botch "leveling" the off-the-field playing field, or 'Bama would really be in for criticism over analyst advantage monopolizing...

It seems Bama's staff of analysts are better than a lot of other schools' coaching staffs. :)

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Am I wrong in believing that most of our analysts just work for Saban for a few years as a reputation builder and then move on to bigger things? So Saban must hire alot of analysts to keep up with turnover.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Am I wrong in believing that most of our analysts just work for Saban for a few years as a reputation builder and then move on to bigger things? So Saban must hire alot of analysts to keep up with turnover.
Some of our analist hires qualify as previously having been 'Damaged Goods',
Others qualify as victims of a bad head coach.

Coach Saban offers them rehab and employment in exchange for picking their minds about a particular style of play. Coach Saban may have future plans for some of these coaches, but they will have to earn their keep.

Example... One of our analist isn't working out... His name gets stricken from Coach Saban's 'Little Black Book' of 'Wonder Coaches'.
Example we have an unexpected opening for a coach... Good chance that one of the 'Wonder Coaches' will get an offer.
Apparently college and pro coaches both want their names in that little black book...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
That appears to be the case at this point. Keeping these coaches involved in the game, test driving them so to speak, and getting Worked for Nick Saban on their resume.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
You're not wrong.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It's a good way of letting fresh insights/new perspectives come on a regular basis without having to "fire" on the field coaches. I think this move is pure genius and wonder why others did not do this earlier... No one notices analyst turnover but us!

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
It's a good way of letting fresh insights/new perspectives come on a regular basis without having to "fire" on the field coaches. I think this move is pure genius and wonder why others did not do this earlier... No one notices analyst turnover but us!
Alabama problems...:smile:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's seems to be for reputation rehab and for coaches who are in between jobs that Saban uses until they find another on the field coaching position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.