Last 1:45 of NCAAW Tourney Final - wow.....

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
it was around that time i remember saying to myself that anything can happen in womens basketball with that much time remaining. and it did. that was some good basketball. the entire broadcast was very well done

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
MSU had 2 opportunities under the basket and missed both - one directly under the basket. They also had the ball with 5 seconds to go in the game and turned it over. While ND had to make their shots to win, MSU handed them the opportunity.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
State got hosed.
No joke. That one male official called every ticky-tack touch foul on the perimeter against MSU but let ND absolutely maul McCowan inside all night long - 3rd quarter especially. Without that help, I don't think ND gets back in the game much less wins it.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
MSU had 2 opportunities under the basket and missed both - one directly under the basket. They also had the ball with 5 seconds to go in the game and turned it over. While ND had to make their shots to win, MSU handed them the opportunity.
I'm sorry but nothing excuses the no call/call exchange that gave ND possession with three seconds left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just don't care enough about either team to see what you are seeing. Looked legit to me.
A body check like that looked legit? Really? On what planet? No player loses the ball like Williams did without getting hit. The officiating in the game was horrendous. That play was the icing on the cake.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A body check like that looked legit? Really? On what planet? No player loses the ball like Williams did without getting hit. The officiating in the game was horrendous. That play was the icing on the cake.
You see a body check. I see a basketball player running across the floor and a dribbler out of control. That's life. We can see the same thing and come to different conclusions.

The harsh reality - MSU was outscored by 18 points in the second half. Hard to lay that at the officials' feet, but some will try.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
A moving roadblock's more like it, but make no mistake, MSU took the title away from themselves by "disappearing" any semblance of an outside game to go one-dimensional down low. Poor plan, poor clock and timeout management, and the poor team, which deserved better - especially as this was the most golden opportunity Mittippi Tate will likely ever have to win a D1 National Championship at least until pasture hockey becomes an official NCAA sport and the Bullies are vying annually for No. 1 with the Cow Patties of West Georgia for the title...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
At about the 1:55 mark on the video I posted ND's #3 clearly fouls the MSU player and there was no foul called.

However also shown in the video we see MSU's Cowen clearly miss two shots right under the basket.

I guess one could argue MSU got screwed by the no-call - and they would be absolutely correct.

But one could also say (as I did) that MSU had their opportunities to put it away - and they pooched it.

Oh well.....we've all seen games like this before. And no doubt we will see them again. Sigh....:frown:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You see a body check. I see a basketball player running across the floor and a dribbler out of control. That's life. We can see the same thing and come to different conclusions.

The harsh reality - MSU was outscored by 18 points in the second half. Hard to lay that at the officials' feet, but some will try.
From the second Florida/Alabama game thread:

About basketball and officiating - home court advantage seems to be very real. Across the sport (HS, college and NBA), the home team always seems to get the benefit of the doubt on foul calls. That doesn't always mean that the road team has more fouls since the quality of the opponents also comes into play, but I have rarely watched a game between evenly matched opponents in which the home team didn't get to the FT line more often.

IMO, this can't happen without some level of officiating collusion. It is too pervasive.
You bring up State being outscored in the second half. Want to take a guess at which team had 9 fouls in the third quarter and which had 5? Here's a hint - ND outscored State 24-11 in the quarter.

The rest of the game the two teams each had 12 fouls.

State averaged 14.4 fouls a game but was called for 21 last night. To be fair, ND averaged 12.6 fouls a game and was called for 17 last night.

As I said in my first post, that was a body check that should have been called but wasn't because the officiating all night was horrendous. Judging by Twitter, that wasn't an outlier, either. Apparently, women's officiating is worse than men's.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I switched the game on during the timeout with 3 seconds remaining so I missed anything that happened earlier (except for the video above).

MSU should have given the player one dribble then fouled her after the ball was inbounded at the 3 second mark. This would have forced ND to inbound the ball a 2nd time with even less time on the clock.

Heck of a shot by ND player.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Apparently, women's officiating is worse than men's.
I'm not saying that the officiating in the game was "good". Heck, I can't remember the last BBall game that left me feeling that the officiating was "good". BBall officiating is a mess. It is the reason that I watch so much less than I did in my youth. But when I choose to watch I have to accept the officiating for what it is - that, or choose to stop watching altogether. Because complaining about BBall officiating is like complaining about the weather - all the complaints in the world won't change a thing.

It is what it is, and no one seems to want to improve it.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I switched the game on during the timeout with 3 seconds remaining so I missed anything that happened earlier (except for the video above).

MSU should have given the player one dribble then fouled her after the ball was inbounded at the 3 second mark. This would have forced ND to inbound the ball a 2nd time with even less time on the clock.

Heck of a shot by ND player.
Agreed, major mistake with a foul to give. That's on the MSU coach IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.