Chance Sisco's bunt vs. shift in 9th upsets Twins

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I saw a Yahoo article where the writer said Andrelton Simmons of the Angels broke up Corey Kluber's no-hit bid by bunting and breaking one of baseball's unwritten rules. Simmons bunt took place after 4 1/3 innings. It lead to two runs and the Angels won by one run.

One is you don't talk about a no-hitter after 4 1/3 innings and two is how can you consider this breaking an unwritten rule this early in a game. Ridiculous.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I saw a Yahoo article where the writer said Andrelton Simmons of the Angels broke up Corey Kluber's no-hit bid by bunting and breaking one of baseball's unwritten rules. Simmons bunt took place after 4 1/3 innings. It lead to two runs and the Angels won by one run.

One is I did not know you would even consider a no-hitter after 4 1/3 innings and two is how can you consider this breaking an unwritten rule this early in a game. Ridiculous.
Yeah, first time I've ever heard of this one. LOL!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If it is 8-0 in the ninth inning, I agree bunting to break up a no-hitter is lame. But not in the fifth. If it led to two runs, good for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I coached high school ball at an inner city school in a pretty big city, and trying to get the guys to take walks, lean into pitches, bunting, etc., anything to get on base and take advantage of our speed was considered 'unmanly' by these guys. They wanted to hack and most of them couldn't have hit a softball lobbed to them at 50 mph, let alone pitches in the 70's and 80's thrown by guys who didn't want you to hit it.

When I was in school you got 10 pitches to hit and then you had to bunt and run it out. That's the way I ran practices, and sure, I called bunts, but most of the time the guys would miss the pitch and get us out of a situation where a bunt would help us.

rtr
Same here Mick, it's like pulling teeth asking a kid to bunt these days. Back in my day (I'm only in my late 30's) if you didn't do what coach said, you would be on your tail very quickly. I got chewed out quite a few times for not sliding into a bag even though I knew I could beat the tag, and he would call us out in front of everyone too as we deserved it. My youngest nephew played last week and his coach called for him to bunt with a 1/2 count because he can bunt so good. Of course he moved the runners over and beat the throw out and loaded the bases.

We did the same when we practiced when I was in school. Before we scrimmaged EVERY DAY, we took 10 cuts and bunted the last which were done in live play as well.

As for the whining about the bunt against the shift, I don't blame the guy for bunting. Just because you play a shift to gain an advantage, well the batter has the same option to gain his advantage and bunt (if he can) against your shift and get on base. If you're too stupid to stay in the shift then that's your fault. Just because you're up 9 runs or whatever means jack crap when you're a batter, your job is to get on base in any way possible and try to start a rally. I guess they expected every guy that come up to get themselves out too? This is why I can hardly watch most MLB games. I'm a Rockies/Red Sox fan, but other than that I can hardly watch a lot of it due to whiny crap like this.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I must go to different ball games than you guys. I’ve been helping coach my son’s team since he started playing travel ball, he’s 14U now. We practice our bunts and coverages every Tues at the beginning of practice. Last season we won 2 tournament finals on a walkoff safety squeeze down the 1B line with runners on 2nd & 3rd. It was the same kid, and about two weeks later I found and bought him a shirt that said:
“CHICKS DIG THE LONGBALL,
BUT I’M WAITING ON ONE WHO
APPRECIATES A WELL
PLACED BUNT”
About 2 1/2 weeks ago my son, who’s our best Sunday go to pitcher, started the final. He gave up a lead off Texas leaguer, and the 2 hole laid down a beauty down the third base line. 3B stumbles charging and my son fielded it coming from the mound. 2B was late covering 1st and he sailed the throw down to the bullpen. 1 run across and a runner on third, no outs. It was downhill from there, we never recovered and got hammered.
I guess it goes in cycles, in regards to the teams we play. We probably call 10-12 over the course of a weekend tournament. Our 1,2,8,9 guys execute so well, it would be a stupid not to lay it down. Some weekends we don’t have to defend a single one and others it’s like clockwork. In fact, we got rained out today and will be playing on a soggy field in the morning. I’m expecting bunts all over the place with several of the teams we play often.

His soon to be high school coach loves this one.
On defense, with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs: This is a called pickoff attempt wether the batter squares early or not.
3B playing in, SS shades to 3rd, 2B shades to 1st, 1B holding runner. P comes set and holds it while 1B crashes hard/3B creeps yelling bunt. SS breaks for third/2B breaks for first. C drops his glove when his sees daylight between 2B and runner on 1st. Pickoff about 75% of out of town teams, probably 30-40% of local guys still.
I’ve seen several 1B coaches get reemed out on that one by the head man.

Like I said earlier, I guess I see more “Small Ball” than most.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Wee Willie Keeler was a HOF player from the 19th century. His motto was “Hit ‘em where they ain’t”. Which is exactly what Sisco did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I must go to different ball games than you guys. I’ve been helping coach my son’s team since he started playing travel ball, he’s 14U now. We practice our bunts and coverages every Tues at the beginning of practice. Last season we won 2 tournament finals on a walkoff safety squeeze down the 1B line with runners on 2nd & 3rd. It was the same kid, and about two weeks later I found and bought him a shirt that said:
APPRECIATES A WELL
PLACED BUNT”
About 2 1/2 weeks ago my son, who’s our best Sunday go to pitcher, started the final. He gave up a lead off Texas leaguer, and the 2 hole laid down a beauty down the third base line. 3B stumbles charging and my son fielded it coming from the mound. 2B was late covering 1st and he sailed the throw down to the bullpen. 1 run across and a runner on third, no outs. It was downhill from there, we never recovered and got hammered.
I guess it goes in cycles, in regards to the teams we play. We probably call 10-12 over the course of a weekend tournament. Our 1,2,8,9 guys execute so well, it would be a stupid not to lay it down. Some weekends we don’t have to defend a single one and others it’s like clockwork. In fact, we got rained out today and will be playing on a soggy field in the morning. I’m expecting bunts all over the place with several of the teams we play often.

On defense, with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs: This is a called pickoff attempt wether the batter squares early or not.
3B playing in, SS shades to 3rd, 2B shades to 1st, 1B holding runner. P comes set and holds it while 1B crashes hard/3B creeps yelling bunt. SS breaks for third/2B breaks for first. C drops his glove when his sees daylight between 2B and runner on 1st. Pickoff about 75% of out of town teams, probably 30-40% of local guys still.

It is no longer the norm, I can tell you that. We've played in two different organizations the past two years (Little League & Dixie Youth). I RARELY see bunts. My oldest son's team is coached by a former D1 college shortstop now turned "private instructor". The guy knows baseball, no doubt. Their practices are very good and they get sound instruction and a lot reps in practice. But they do not even bother practicing bunting or bunting in games. Haven't seen it one time.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
APPRECIATES A WELL
PLACED BUNT”

Yea, I have been coaching Middle School baseball in Ga for 1 years now. I can count the number of bunts attempted against us this year one 1 hand. We on the other hand laid down probably 20 in 15 games.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Yea, I have been coaching Middle School baseball in Ga for 1 years now. I can count the number of bunts attempted against us this year one 1 hand. We on the other hand laid down probably 20 in 15 games.
I’m working offshore for another week, but talked to another dad last night. JV team my son will be on next year executed 5 of 7 bunt attempts last night. I have no idea why they felt the need to try that many in a game that ended 8-1.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.