YouTube shooting: Four shot at California HQ, female suspect dead

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Police talked with YouTube shooter hours before attack -- and say they didn't notice anything disturbing

(CNN)Eleven hours before she shot up YouTube headquarters and then killed herself, Nasim Najafi Aghdam chatted with police.

It was 1:40 a.m. Tuesday, and Aghdam was hundreds of miles away from home. Police found her car overnight at a Mountain View parking lot, about 30 miles southeast of YouTube headquarters.
A quick check of her license plate revealed the owner had been reported missing from the San Diego area.

"At no point during our roughly 20 minute interaction with her did she mention anything about YouTube, if she was upset with them, or that she had planned to harm herself or others ... she was calm and cooperative."
So officers notified her family and let her go.
But Aghdam's brother said he called police about his sister, an animal rights activist with a serious grudge against YouTube.
When Aghdam's brother learned her car was found in Mountain View, he worried she "might do something."

"I Googled 'Mountain View,' and it was close to YouTube headquarters. And she had a problem with YouTube," Aghdam's brother told CNN affiliate KGTV.

He said he warned police that "she went all the way from San Diego, so she might do something."
But Mountain View police said they received no warning that Aghdam might do anything violent.
After discovering Aghdam in her car, police called the woman's father and brother.
"The father confirmed to us that the family had been having issues at home, but did not act in any way concerned about why his daughter had left. At no point during that conversation did either Aghdam's father or brother make any statements regarding the woman's potential threat to, or a possible attack on, the YouTube campus," Mountain View police said.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
What do people want from police these days, seriously? This is getting ridiculous how the police are blamed for everything. WSFA showed a clip this morning of an employee saying the police should have prevented this from happening. How?

This person did not break any laws until she walk into YouTube and opened fire so, how are the police suppose to prevent that. You can't just arrest people because a family member says they are upset and might do something. What would you charge them with? Plus, they spoke to her and didn't notice anything suspicious, they cant read minds. I seriously want to know what all these people complaining about the police really want? Do we really want police to start arresting people because someone thinks they might do something bad?

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
What do people want from police these days, seriously? This is getting ridiculous how the police are blamed for everything. WSFA showed a clip this morning of an employee saying the police should have prevented this from happening. How?

This person did not break any laws until she walk into YouTube and opened fire so, how are the police suppose to prevent that. You can't just arrest people because a family member says they are upset and might do something. What would you charge them with? Plus, the spoke to her and did notice anything suspicious, they cant read minds. I seriously want to know what all these people complaining about the police really want? Do we really want police to start arresting people because someone thinks they might do something bad?
Thanks for your post and I agree with some of what you're saying.

It's all about optics - especially in this day and age of the Internet where stuff flies out of people's heads and into cyber space without proper context or semblance to practicality.

For what it's worth, I think cops have a very tough job and I wouldn't want to do it. Most cops are just trying to do their job. And I also believe that they are to some degree STUCK with many times a bureaucratic system that works against them - and that's due to (yes you got it) our crappy dirty crooked political system.

And the media does not help. At all.

All that being said, it's too bad cops don't police themselves as much as they could. IMHO, they have a long standing tradition of standing behind each other - and turning a blind eye - just to avoid being singled out as a rat and "non-team player".

But I wonder in this case how much they were influenced by the fact that she was a woman - and I also wonder if they were overly fixated on her ta ta's.....and just wanted to be "nice" to her. If it was a male - would they have conducted a search of the vehicle?

I don't know.

But maybe this info coming out will help in future incidents.....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

This person did not break any laws until she walk into YouTube and opened fire so, how are the police suppose to prevent that. You can't just arrest people because a family member says they are upset and might do something. What would you charge them with? Plus, the spoke to her and did notice anything suspicious, they cant read minds. I seriously want to know what all these people complaining about the police really want? Do we really want police to start arresting people because someone thinks they might do something bad?
I call it the "pile on effect". Very similar to a jury trial I was picked to be on two years ago in a medical malpractice case. As we were going through all the medical expenses that the plaintiff was requesting reimbursement for (which was an entire legal binder full). We found invoices for medical expense for the plaintiff's wife that had NOTHING to do with the case totaling over $5,500. They were using the platform of a legitimate claim to "sneak in" expenses of an illegitimate claim.

I think this same thing is happening now with the police. The police brutality issue that has been a hot social issue over the last few years. I think the "pile on effect" is now in full force with them. Anything involving police that doesn't end like society thinks it should, it is automatically assumed they were in the wrong and by god somebody needs to issue an apology and immediately fired shortly thereafter. Let's not bother actually looking at each individual case and the evidence that is present and attempting to make a right judgement. It's much easier to simply stereotype and take feelings from a completely un-related case (though a legitimate case) and apply them to another unrelated case with completely different people. But since the people in both cases were cops, we can "confidently" assume they were in the wrong. NEXT!!!! Rinse and Repeat.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Where is Tom Cruise when you need him?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This person did not break any laws until she walk into YouTube and opened fire so, how are the police suppose to prevent that. You can't just arrest people because a family member says they are upset and might do something. What would you charge them with? Plus, they spoke to her and didn't notice anything suspicious, they cant read minds. I seriously want to know what all these people complaining about the police really want? Do we really want police to start arresting people because someone thinks they might do something bad?
I was thinking the same today. I would resign as a LEO today. The guy who was shot today, using a plumbing part to imitate a pistol and taking a shooting stance at the LEOs - what were the LEOs to do? Wait until he shot? The mother was on TV, weeping and wailing that they should have known her boy was crazy. It's getting impossible...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Thanks for your post and I agree with some of what you're saying.

It's all about optics - especially in this day and age of the Internet where stuff flies out of people's heads and into cyber space without proper context or semblance to practicality.

For what it's worth, I think cops have a very tough job and I wouldn't want to do it. Most cops are just trying to do their job. And I also believe that they are to some degree STUCK with many times a bureaucratic system that works against them - and that's due to (yes you got it) our crappy dirty crooked political system.

And the media does not help. At all.

All that being said, it's too bad cops don't police themselves as much as they could. IMHO, they have a long standing tradition of standing behind each other - and turning a blind eye - just to avoid being singled out as a rat and "non-team player".

But I wonder in this case how much they were influenced by the fact that she was a woman - and I also wonder if they were overly fixated on her ta ta's.....and just wanted to be "nice" to her. If it was a male - would they have conducted a search of the vehicle?

I don't know.

But maybe this info coming out will help in future incidents.....
I think a part of this is how the police have turned a blind eye to some bad cops, but I also know that not all cops are bad cops. The general public (or the media narrative even) can't fathom that in a lot of social situations, it isn't necessarily all of one side or the other side; it can be some combination of all sides. I also agree with the sentiment that it's become a pile-on effect. Frankly, these people who are basically calling for arrests before a crime is committed do not see the long-term ramifications of such thinking and potential policy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think a part of this is how the police have turned a blind eye to some bad cops, but I also know that not all cops are bad cops. The general public (or the media narrative even) can't fathom that in a lot of social situations, it isn't necessarily all of one side or the other side; it can be some combination of all sides. I also agree with the sentiment that it's become a pile-on effect. Frankly, these people who are basically calling for arrests before a crime is committed do not see the long-term ramifications of such thinking and potential policy.

That's because the only thing that matters to a lot of people - black or white - is the color of who did what. If a white cop shoots an "unarmed black man," that's all the media wants to know and then fire out the spin. Blacks hear it and over-react and whites hear the over-reaction and over-react.

The forensic evidence supported every single thing the cop who shot Michael "Hands NOT Up" Brown said. In other cases, it has contradicted what the cop said. And in still others, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, towards one side or the other.

Police DO turn a blind eye to cops and it's wrong. However...

Do ANY of you think doctors don't do the same thing??????? Every doctor knows he (or she.....we need a generic pronoun for this) is human and makes mistakes. Doctors kill more people with mistakes every single year than cops do, but you don't get the drama of violence and the headlines because it's a whole lot easier to control what narrative gets out.

I'm in no way knocking doctors, I work with many and there's ultimately a trust thing there.

I decided long ago - on day one - that I would be forthcoming in every instance regardless of consequence. I could lie and get away with it easier than most because I have a good enough memory to pull it off, but I also have to live with myself. I have called patients personally when a screw-up happened (folks, you handle multiple hundreds of samples plus add ons daily, it's going to happen occasionally) to fix it, and in EVERY case I've told them the truth when they asked what happened.

(In one instance, we had two patients with the exact same thyroid result that were drawn the same day, one right after the other, mailed to the hospital for performance in bags next to each other, and then run on the instrument in slots right next to each other (our report showed the analyzer info. In that case, I was SURE we had not messed up, but what do you do? I called both in on separate days, we put the results in delay status, and we ran the tests again. Btw - both patients AGAIN had the exact same result).

One thing I find is that patients take it a whole lot better (and are much less likely to sue) if you are forthcoming and honest about what happened. Back when I drew blood, I was the guy they sent in to break bad news because I (so they say) have a good rapport with the patients. That's because I don't Barbara Streisand them - I tell them the truth....we screwed up, the outsource lab screwed up, whatever and what exactly it was. 99% of folks have had no problem with this.

Of course, I realize something else, too: the situations have similarities but also have differences. Most notable being mine is never on camera (by law).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.