Link: Read your traffic signs

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
So what you are saying is that "No Trucks" sign really means no trucks?

Serious question does that guys lose his CDL? He should....

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I literally passed that truck moments before, taking the siding for that train, and I remember thinking, " I've never seen a semi on that road before." [emoji23] Guess that's why.

I was running the First Responders training unit to Birmingham lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I'm not sure. I bet they're on the hook for damages though. The wreck took out the eastbound overhead signals and delayed several trains.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Not far from where I live is the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is a small windy road going from the Valley floor up to the Parkway. It is closed to 18-wheelers. There are big signs saying: "Closed to 18-wheelers," and "An 18-wheeler cannot make it to the top of the mountain" and "Warning, no big tractor trailers."
Well, one day, Mrs. Tidewater and I were driving up said windy road, and as we neared the top, the switchbacks got tighter and tighter. About 1/4 miles from the top there was an 18-wheeler jack-knifed and stuck in one of the last switchbacks. The switchback was just way too tight and several of the wheels on his truck and trailer were already off the ground because of the uneven ground and tight turn.
We were able to squeeze by in our car, but the driver (probably not a rocket surgeon) was outside his truck, looking at his stuck truck and scratching his head. No sure how he got out of that one.

I remember thinking, "Well, Bud, you drove past a half a dozens signs telling you not to go this way in an 18-wheeler."

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Cool paint job. What exactly is that used for? Spill response training?
It has 8 empty cars of various types (tank, box, intermodal, covered hopper) and it stops in various cities for clinics in handling rail specific emergencies, like you said.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I would hope so. I would imagine he loses his job and I certainly wouldn’t hire him to drive for me.

I wonder if insurance will cover the truck damage and contents since the driver was breaking the law by being on that road.

The crash was pretty cool to watch.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not far from where I live is the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is a small windy road going from the Valley floor up to the Parkway. It is closed to 18-wheelers. There are big signs saying: "Closed to 18-wheelers," and "An 18-wheeler cannot make it to the top of the mountain" and "Warning, no big tractor trailers."
Well, one day, Mrs. Tidewater and I were driving up said windy road, and as we neared the top, the switchbacks got tighter and tighter. About 1/4 miles from the top there was an 18-wheeler jack-knifed and stuck in one of the last switchbacks. The switchback was just way too tight and several of the wheels on his truck and trailer were already off the ground because of the uneven ground and tight turn.
We were able to squeeze by in our car, but the driver (probably not a rocket surgeon) was outside his truck, looking at his stuck truck and scratching his head. No sure how he got out of that one.

I remember thinking, "Well, Bud, you drove past a half a dozens signs telling you not to go this way in an 18-wheeler."
Same thing happens on Bankhead Parkway, coming up the north end of Monte Sano, if you remember it. They ignore the "length restricted" signs at the bottom and charge on up. Then, they get to the hairpin at the turn onto Fearn to finish the climb and no 18 wheeler can make it. They then have to detach the cab tractor and swing the trailer around with heavy equipment, probably what they had to do with the guy you encountered. I think all those crossroads on the Parkway are like that. They were all there before they put the Parkway in. I've pedaled from Cherokee to the NC/VA line but I didn't make it to Front Royal and probably never will now. My first attempt, I quit on Mt. Mitchell and took the side road down to Burnsville, where I stayed a night before biking back down to Asheville. It was like that - tight as hell at the top and then sort of straightening out as I continued along the river. The configuration of US 276 where it crosses right at the Pisgah Inn and the others I've been on are similar. At least 18 wheelers can make it up and over 276. I've always loved the feel of freedom which comes from backpacking or biking like that. You're on your own. Everything you need, for a period of time, at least, is on your back or on your bike. If you pull off on the bike or cross a road and stop with a pack, you always get interesting questions from the tourists... :)

Edit: I think at least some of them get misled by their GPSs. When we had a place in Vail, CO, we'd watch local news and, every snowstorm, there'd be trucks stopped up near the I-70 Eisenhower tunnel, right at the "chains required" sign, without chains and usually in tee shirts. I remember one with a strong south LA accent saying "I dint never expect nothing like dis"...

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Edit: I think at least some of them get misled by their GPSs. When we had a place in Vail, CO, we'd watch local news and, every snowstorm, there'd be trucks stopped up near the I-70 Eisenhower tunnel, right at the "chains required" sign, without chains and usually in tee shirts. I remember one with a strong south LA accent saying "I dint never expect nothing like dis"...
We have that same problem near me with a low bridge on the main line here in Philly. The underpass was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad over 100 years ago and only has about 12 feet of clearance. The GPS loves to send trucks on this road and the drivers love to follow it.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
We have that same problem near me with a low bridge on the main line here in Philly. The underpass was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad over 100 years ago and only has about 12 feet of clearance. The GPS loves to send trucks on this road and the drivers love to follow it.
I was navigating around Orangeburg SC last week and my iPhone wanted me to go down an orange dirt/clay road. I looked at it and said, "Uh, no," and continued down the paved road I was on. It turns out that I was approaching a four-way intersection at which I was supposed to turn right and the clay road was the hypotenuse of that right triangle.
I just thing folks ought to apply GPS advice with a little judgment.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
https://www.youtube.com/user/yovo68

www.11foot8.com

Oh. My. Goodness! Some of those videos are glorious... It's better than people of Wal-Mart!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The same situation where the road crosses under the rr tracks in Ardmore, if you get off the interstate to come to HSV. It has the clearance clearly marked on it, but it's very scarred up... :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was navigating around Orangeburg SC last week and my iPhone wanted me to go down an orange dirt/clay road. I looked at it and said, "Uh, no," and continued down the paved road I was on. It turns out that I was approaching a four-way intersection at which I was supposed to turn right and the clay road was the hypotenuse of that right triangle.
I just thing folks ought to apply GPS advice with a little judgment.
Amen! And sometimes even human advice. I got lost in Austria one, east Tirol. I kept asking for directions and they all ended up with "nicht über die Brücke" (not over the bridge). After a three trips through the woods and a lumberyard, I took the bit in my teeth and went over the bridge anyway. On the last round, I saw their shortcut - a double track through a corn field. On one trip through the woods, I asked a wood cutter for directions. The answer - "Ich bin Yugoslawien." :D

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My neighborhood is off a county road that runs into Highway 31. There's a recycling warehouse on the end of the road closest to 31. Trucks are constantly there to drop off the used shipping boxes from stores. They can only leave out of the parking lot to the right because the left is up-hill and a sharp curve.

There's even a sign telling them to not turn left. Never fails every few weeks or so one of them decides to go left.

21077618_10212423669959477_5080858599318608795_n.jpg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.