Link: Watch military security dog yank down Mark Ingram

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
WOW...
That Dog is fast. Ingram doesn't face anyone with that kind of speed.
Glad to see Mark helping out on the Demo.
I'll bet the Saint's want allow anything like that again.

What I wouldn't give for Alabama to have a Linebacker with that kind of speed.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
I train dogs with a group, I've got a malinois/shepherd mix. My dog's father left puncture wounds on my tricep even with a wrap under my bite suit. The pressure you feel can be unreal. It's a blast working with them but some days I'm sore as can be from being a chew toy...lol

My boy is wonderful off lease anywhere and absolutely loves kids, will follow me anywhere. Loves his little girl and momma, I don't worry when I travel.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I train dogs with a group, I've got a malinois/shepherd mix. My dog's father left puncture wounds on my tricep even with a wrap under my bite suit. The pressure you feel can be unreal. It's a blast working with them but some days I'm sore as can be from being a chew toy...lol

My boy is wonderful off lease anywhere and absolutely loves kids, will follow me anywhere. Loves his little girl and momma, I don't worry when I travel.
Do you have to wear protective gear for your head and neck or are the dogs trained to just go for the limbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philippines

Scout Team
Feb 9, 2014
Birmingham, AL
WOW...
That Dog is fast. Ingram doesn't face anyone with that kind of speed.
Glad to see Mark helping out on the Demo.
I'll bet the Saint's want allow anything like that again.

What I wouldn't give for Alabama to have a Linebacker with that kind of speed.
Granted that Mark was not running at his normal football pace, but the dog's closing speed is incredible. Out of curiosity I did a little research. Usain Bolt had a top speed of 27.8 mph when he set
the 100 meter record. The average German Shepherd / Malinois will typically hit about 28 to 30 mph.

Last edited:

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
Do you have to wear protective gear for your head and neck or are the dogs trained to just go for the limbs?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are taught to target when you first start them in bite work. Most are taught working with a whip rag and then on a bite sleeve at first. You can train them to target different areas but mainly it's the forearm from the front, tricep from the back and leg from either side. What ever you present to the dog after they know the basics, that's what they'll go for. But you have to make sure you "feed" the dog or risk the dog making up his mind. And most will go to the left arm because most handlers are right handed so they catch the dog with their left arm and use the right arm to drive them with a clatter stick, jug of rocks or blank gun. Anything that makes noise and causes some environmental issues for them to overcome.

On run aways like in the video, I'll run with my arms out and up as to present a good tricep to the dog. Running like he was is a good way to get bit somewhere you weren't expecting. And it's a lot easier to not go down that way too but you will go down eventually, even the "pros" at dog trials go down occasionally.

As far as protective gear, I wrap my arm prior to putting on a suit. The suit I use is a semi-competition suit so it's not as padded as you can get. I also wear a cup with the suit for obvious reasons. Scratch pants or a leather apron is a must to protect your legs from their claws too. We will wear shorts in the summer time and it can be brutal to get a scratch down the length of your leg. No head or neck gear. I took a pretty good shot to the face during some muzzle work once but that's been it. Arms and legs fly around and they are easier for them to get at...lol

And 95% of the dogs I've worked with have a great on/off switch. Right after training I can shed the gear and the dogs can run loose with no issues around us. I can do bite work with my dog in the front yard with a sleeve and then put the sleeve up and wrestle with him immediately after. He'll put my arm in his mouth then but will not bite down because he understands the difference (thankfully). I'll have scratches all over my chest and back from wrestling with him but he knows not to clamp down with a limb in his mouth. Otherwise I'd have been in pieces a long time ago!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Just a hunch, but I`ll bet you wouldn`t have to worry about anybody bothering that little girl.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
Just a hunch, but I`ll bet you wouldn`t have to worry about anybody bothering that little girl.
LOL, you'd be right. I lost the fight for a dog but I got to pick the breed. I chose wisely...hahaha
My wife and daughter wanted a pug, we already had a cat. I wanted something substantial but wound up getting that and so much more. He's been super, best pet we've ever had.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
LOL, you'd be right. I lost the fight for a dog but I got to pick the breed. I chose wisely...hahaha
My wife and daughter wanted a pug, we already had a cat. I wanted something substantial but wound up getting that and so much more. He's been super, best pet we've ever had.
Part of the family. They leave us for heaven all too soon.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Granted that Mark was not running at his normal football pace, but the dog's closing speed is incredible. Out of curiosity I did a little research. Usain Bolt had a top speed of 27.8 mph when he set
the 100 meter record. The average German Shepherd / Malinois will typically hit about 28 to 30 mph.
Usain Bolt might hit 30mph being chased by that dog :D

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
Everything HMM said is totally correct. It is truly amazing how the dogs can maintain their loving personality in normal situations yet have the second personality, although there is so much discipline and repetition involved in both the initial obedience portion(most important) and then the attack/defense training. I vividly remember the first time a 90+ pound Rot was released off lease from about 50 feet. The impact is tremendous as they bite on the way through you. They don't stop and nibble. Think Reuben Foster.
One of the things I enjoyed most was doing demos with a potential client. Talk to them with a free roaming dog licking their hands, then take that same dog, put his working collar and leash on him, and on command he wants to destroy that same person. Many would say "never mind" and leave.
The only thing in my experience was that the dogs never forgot the "agitator" from their training, and in most cases, the dog would not necessarily be trustworthy around that person because of the part that guy played in the training. He was never the good guy. Other than that, they would only 'turn on' under verbal or aggressive action to which they had been trained. It's a beautiful thing, and it's because these are not mean dogs, rather dogs that are very highly trained and who love both their private lives and their work, so to say.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.