Johnny Manziel- "I didn't really know the X's & O's of football."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Johnny Manziel- "I didn't really know the X's & O's of football."

On the Dan Patrick Show Manziel takes a haymaker shot at playing in the spread offense and partly attributing that to his struggles in the NFL. He's very candid about his lack of preparation and work ethic as being the reason he flopped. Unfortunately, in doing so he threw Cleveland under the bus. Which doesn't come across as I know he intended it.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2018/04/04...rowns-drafted/
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Johnny Manziel- "I didn't really know the X's & O's of football."

Don't you know Herm Edwards loved to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    On the Dan Patrick Show Manziel takes a haymaker shot at playing in the spread offense and partly attributing that to his struggles in the NFL. He's very candid about his lack of preparation and work ethic as being the reason he flopped. Unfortunately, in doing so he threw Cleveland under the bus. Which doesn't come across as I know he intended it.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2018/04/04...rowns-drafted/
    The problem isnít spread offenses or the poisonous locker room culture of the Browns (which I really donít doubt). The problem is Johnny Manziel. All the talent in the world but too lazy to apply it, drug addiction, etc.
    Just a barner.

My wife asked me the other day: "Are you even listening to me?"

Which is a really weird way to start a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    The problem isn’t spread offenses or the poisonous locker room culture of the Browns (which I really don’t doubt). The problem is Johnny Manziel. All the talent in the world but too lazy to apply it, drug addiction, etc.
    In Manziel's case, most of his problem was him. But I believe him when he says he didn't know X's & O's. It is a common complaint from other positional NFL coaches about guys who come out of spread systems. The amount of "re-coaching" and teaching they have to do. Because as Manziel alluded to in the interview, compared to an NFL offense, a spread offense is a much simpler format. It doesn't require anywhere near the mental energy that an NFL offense requires. It basically puts your athletes in position to out athlete your opponent. One is like playing Candy Land while the other is like playing chess.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

Yes, he didn't know X's and O's but, he also didn't care about trying to learn. Just another rich kid that was handed everything in life and thought the same would happen in the NFL. When that didn't happen, he decided to party his career away.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    Yes, he didn't know X's and O's but, he also didn't care about trying to learn. Just another rich kid that was handed everything in life and thought the same would happen in the NFL. When that didn't happen, he decided to party his career away.
    No, and he admitted as much in the interview. He's also since been diagnosed as being bi-polar. So, I'll cut him a bit of slack for his behavior. Until they get help, people who are bi-polar are daily train wrecks waiting to happen.

Maybe I'm too naive and just want the best for people, but I'm buying this new Johnny. He seems genuine in what he says. He has been very open about things and doesn't shy away from the fact his next football opportunity is most likely the CFL.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Maybe I'm too naive and just want the best for people, but I'm buying this new Johnny. He seems genuine in what he says. He has been very open about things and doesn't shy away from the fact his next football opportunity is most likely the CFL.
    If he truly was diagnosed as bi-polar and has gotten help. I can definitely believe his "turn around" is real.

If he truly was diagnosed as bi-polar and has gotten help. I can definitely believe his "turn around" is real.
    He seems to be taking ownership of his failures in the NFL, too.

An example of his maturity is a recent Twitter exchange he had with a former Barstool guy Michael Rapport (won't link because of some language).
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

I buy that he is working on himself for sure and his diagnosis definitely helps explain his past behaviors. I know a few people who have been diagnosed as bi-polar and its rough, to say the least. I still don't buy that he has a shot of ever really making it in the NFL though.

Just as long as he stays on his meds. RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Wait, so you are telling me that a guy known only for running around for 2 minutes and then throwing it up for grabs, did not know X's & O's? I am shocked.
    Last edited by DzynKingRTR; April 5th, 2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

Did even know if he was an X or O?
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse