Johnny Manziel- "I didn't really know the X's & O's of football."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't like what I know about Manziel, even if it was fueled by bi-polar issues. It is possible to have mental problems and still be a good human being. The question that I have - what kind of person will Manziel prove to be if/when he has success again in his life?

My family has had to deal with several types of mental disorders. They are real, and they destroy lives. But this is about more than his diagnosis. The real question - who does he want to be, and what is he willing to do to become that person?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I don't like what I know about Manziel, even if it was fueled by bi-polar issues. It is possible to have mental problems and still be a good human being. The question that I have - what kind of person will Manziel prove to be if/when he has success again in his life?

My family has had to deal with several types of mental disorders. They are real, and they destroy lives. But this is about more than his diagnosis. The real question - who does he want to be, and what is he willing to do to become that person?
I have doubts as well. I have one relative who they say is bi-polar and they are hard to get along with. I have another who they say is bi-polar and he is hard to get along with. The first I feel for, the second I don't. The second one is obnoxious and knows everything about everything. The last time I tried to help him he just grinned and shot me a bird. This is how I see Mr. Football. I would bet a lot of money that when people tried to talk some sense into Mr Football he grinned and told them to MYOB.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Well I mean scrambling around throwing it up for grabs to a Mike Evans type is the norm for many these days.
There are two ways to go, it seems. Work hard and apply yourself or slide by and party. When I played tournament chess we called it "getting out of book" when we played a high ranked player. They know the book moves down to the middle game, at least. We didn't, so we would make a "no move" move (not a blunder, but not one of the best moves) early in the game just to confuse them because they were expecting one of the normal book moves. They would have to take some time to figure out the best move for them instead of making the memorized move.

This thinking instead of automatic moving took time off their clock for a few moves until the game got back to a more bookish pattern. I won a couple of games and drew several because the opponent was in time trouble from all the thinking while his clock was ticking. We played 40 moves an hour and played four rounds a day, so staying out of time trouble was a big deal.

This is the HUNH and wishbone today, IMO. Get those with the best players and coaches with the best work ethic out of book. Can we say "upset."

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
IDK. I know people who are actually bi-polar, and that helps make sense of things i.e. the impulsive behaviors.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'd be curious to see if he was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 or 2. I'd bet on 2 which is less severe though still incredibly hard to live with.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IDK. I know people who are actually bi-polar, and that helps make sense of things i.e. the impulsive behaviors.
Agreed, but not all of the behaviors were impulsive. I am pulling for him, but if he is blaming his previous behavior on his diagnosis rather than trying to become a better person, not much will change over the long term.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Agreed, but not all of the behaviors were impulsive. I am pulling for him, but if he is blaming his previous behavior on his diagnosis rather than trying to become a better person, not much will change over the long term.
That line behind "blaming", "explaining," and "making excuses for" is so stinking thin.

I think that's one of the things I remember most from my childhood that I wanted to carry over into my own parenting (whenever that day arrives). Anytime I was involved with something wayward or unpleasant or whatever - my parents would get on to me and 99% of the time, ANY word to the contrary that I would offer would be met with, "I don't want your excuses, alright?" or "Don't make excuses, just..."

Of course, children DO make flimsy excuses and I was no different, but there were many times where that wasn't the case, and my parents were just offering their own knee-jerk reaction. I had that profound realization (profound for a small child) that there are microbial, but significant difference between an excuse, a reason, and a cause.

I don't know where Johnny lands in all of this, but I'm not quick to say which one of the 3 he is positing.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here is some tape from The Spring League.
I don't know if I saw enough to warrant a contract offer from an NFL team.
Some pretty boneheaded plays in there. (e.g. Poor ball security, never knowing when to give up on a play and throw the ball out of bounds to get 2nd and 10, instead of 2nd and 21).
If I were advising him, I'd recommend he accept the Tigercats offer and play in the CFL for a couple of years and see if he cannot generate enough tape to get a shot at the NFL again.

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
"Johnny Manziel- "I didn't really know the X's & O's of football."

Duh - every play he ran looked like sandlot football. This is why he struggled in the NFL. Well, that and his cocaine and ego issues.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
He alluded to the Browns not doing their homework on him. This says loads about so-called Pro QB scouts. How could a good scout not see the problems Mr Football had? Heck, us amateurs could see, yet the Pro couldn't?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I hope he can get control of his issues and be a productive member of society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.