Johnny Manziel- "I didn't really know the X's & O's of football."

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
On the Dan Patrick Show Manziel takes a haymaker shot at playing in the spread offense and partly attributing that to his struggles in the NFL. He's very candid about his lack of preparation and work ethic as being the reason he flopped. Unfortunately, in doing so he threw Cleveland under the bus. Which doesn't come across as I know he intended it.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2018/04/04/johnny-manziel-explains-struggled-browns-drafted/

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
On the Dan Patrick Show Manziel takes a haymaker shot at playing in the spread offense and partly attributing that to his struggles in the NFL. He's very candid about his lack of preparation and work ethic as being the reason he flopped. Unfortunately, in doing so he threw Cleveland under the bus. Which doesn't come across as I know he intended it.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2018/04/04/johnny-manziel-explains-struggled-browns-drafted/
The problem isn’t spread offenses or the poisonous locker room culture of the Browns (which I really don’t doubt). The problem is Johnny Manziel. All the talent in the world but too lazy to apply it, drug addiction, etc.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The problem isn’t spread offenses or the poisonous locker room culture of the Browns (which I really don’t doubt). The problem is Johnny Manziel. All the talent in the world but too lazy to apply it, drug addiction, etc.
In Manziel's case, most of his problem was him. But I believe him when he says he didn't know X's & O's. It is a common complaint from other positional NFL coaches about guys who come out of spread systems. The amount of "re-coaching" and teaching they have to do. Because as Manziel alluded to in the interview, compared to an NFL offense, a spread offense is a much simpler format. It doesn't require anywhere near the mental energy that an NFL offense requires. It basically puts your athletes in position to out athlete your opponent. One is like playing Candy Land while the other is like playing chess.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Yes, he didn't know X's and O's but, he also didn't care about trying to learn. Just another rich kid that was handed everything in life and thought the same would happen in the NFL. When that didn't happen, he decided to party his career away.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yes, he didn't know X's and O's but, he also didn't care about trying to learn. Just another rich kid that was handed everything in life and thought the same would happen in the NFL. When that didn't happen, he decided to party his career away.
No, and he admitted as much in the interview. He's also since been diagnosed as being bi-polar. So, I'll cut him a bit of slack for his behavior. Until they get help, people who are bi-polar are daily train wrecks waiting to happen.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe I'm too naive and just want the best for people, but I'm buying this new Johnny. He seems genuine in what he says. He has been very open about things and doesn't shy away from the fact his next football opportunity is most likely the CFL.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Maybe I'm too naive and just want the best for people, but I'm buying this new Johnny. He seems genuine in what he says. He has been very open about things and doesn't shy away from the fact his next football opportunity is most likely the CFL.
If he truly was diagnosed as bi-polar and has gotten help. I can definitely believe his "turn around" is real.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If he truly was diagnosed as bi-polar and has gotten help. I can definitely believe his "turn around" is real.
He seems to be taking ownership of his failures in the NFL, too.

An example of his maturity is a recent Twitter exchange he had with a former Barstool guy Michael Rapport (won't link because of some language).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I buy that he is working on himself for sure and his diagnosis definitely helps explain his past behaviors. I know a few people who have been diagnosed as bi-polar and its rough, to say the least. I still don't buy that he has a shot of ever really making it in the NFL though.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Wait, so you are telling me that a guy known only for running around for 2 minutes and then throwing it up for grabs, did not know X's & O's? I am shocked.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I think so, too. I never could stand Manziel. But, everything I've seen and heard out of him recently seems genuine and like he finally gets that ALL of his past problems come from within himself. Some of it probably out of his control (Bi-polar) and some of it within his control (bad decisions, arrogance and narcissism). I hope he is able to maintain the new-found mental health he seems to have found and can be stable and successful in his life. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm pulling for him on a personal level.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Wait, so you are telling me that a guy known only for running around for 2 minutes and then throwing it up for grabs, did not know X's & O's? I am shocked.
You and me both. I always thought the play where he ran into his own guy, fumbled the ball into the air, caught it, and then found a wide open receiver was just how Sumlin drew it up.

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
I'm glad he is taking ownership of his past troubles. A lot of people his age are never going to take ownership for their decisions and always blame it on someone else.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If he really is bi-poler then I feel for him. A lot of people I know use bi-poler as an excuse for their behavior. My wife has an aunt who gets away with anything because "she is bi-poler." I think she is just mean and selfish because I have never seen the other pole. You know, the opposite of mean and selfish.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Not the same thing exactly, but I see him similarly as Ryan Leaf. They had different issues, but both at least now can raise their hands and admit their faults, which is at least a step toward making things better. Glad to hear this, and I will try to not think as negatively of Johnny Football as I did.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.