What would you do? (Office Tom Foolery going on)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've got a guy at work who for over a year now has called me "Jeff" after telling him on more than one occasion that my name isn't "Jeff". I've ignored it, because I figured that's the best thing to do. But he did it again today and maybe I'm just in a bad mood. But I've grown very tired of being called by a name that isn't mine after I've told the guy several times that isn't my name.

I know a lot of you have a great since of snarky humor and was wondering what would some of y'all do (that wouldn't get me fired LOL) if you were in the situation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes. Yes he is. And he's also NOT a superior to me. So in other words he's on the same "salary grade" as I am. So no problem there either.
As long as they aren't having marital problems (read - he wouldn't think you're serious), say "Hey, you can call me Jeff, but your wife calls me ___."

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I've got a guy at work who for over a year now has called me "Jeff" after telling him on more than one occasion that my name isn't "Jeff". I've ignored it, because I figured that's the best thing to do. But he did it again today and maybe I'm just in a bad mood. But I've grown very tired of being called by a name that isn't mine after I've told the guy several times that isn't my name.

I know a lot of you have a great since of snarky humor and was wondering what would some of y'all do (that wouldn't get me fired LOL) if you were in the situation.

Or you can call him Murial....lol

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If you have asked him not to and he keeps doing it, that seems like it would constitute harassment.

#metoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I would just point out that you business likely has published rules of conduct and ethics policies that would come into play for any conduct that may be considered to be in the nature of harassment of fellow employees. I would expect that there would be a means by which an employee would be able to file a complaint of harassment that they are experiencing in the workplace.

It is a fact that calling and fellow employee by a name other than their legal name on a repeated basis after being asked not to would be seen as a means to diminish or demean or harass them.

So if you are serious about putting a stop to it get your hands on your Rules of Conduct Policy and inform him of your intent to file a formal complaint if he fails to abide by your wishes.

That may be more than you asked for but is one way to address it permanently.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.