Question: Could the offense actually be the strength of the team in 2018?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
We’ve all heard it...”defense wins championships”. We all know defense is king at Alabama. Could it be that the offense carries the team this year? I’m not saying our defense will be weak...just that the offense may be something unusual this year...an anomaly, an outlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think there's almost no question that the offense will be the strength of this team - if the QB plays they way that they are supposed to, distributing the ball effectively across and down the field.

That being said by the time we get to mid-season our defense will be as good as it needs to be. The only year I remember a defense consistently frustrating me from game 1 to the last loss is the 2014 D.

But from the start there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be hanging points on people - or at least dominating TOP.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I feel very similarly about this offense as I did about the 2016 defense going into the season. I expect a similar type of dominance from this offense.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If the offense is the strength of a Nick Saban team -- then the rest of the NCAA needs to just concede now. Because that's just not fair ;)

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
There is no question we have a lot of talent returning on the offensive side of the ball this year. What intrigues me is if we can keep both Jalen and Tua in the fold just think what other teams would be facing in preparation. I don’t see anything wrong with using both every game. With a double shot of two Harris’ at running back and truly talented WRs we can stomp a mud hole in every team we play.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I hope not. I remember past teams where the O was to be the strength (2010, I think) and it fell on its Offensive face. I am gun shy of the O being the strength.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
It could be if Tua is the starter and Saban lets the offensive coaches plan and call the games how they want to. If Locksley doesn't work out as the play caller, give Enos a chance. I know this will irritate some folks, and yes, Saban is arguably the best college coach ever (there is a guy name of Bryant that is also a contender) but Saban doesn't always allow the o.c. to make all the decisions, at least according to comments by Daboll.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
Imagine this...

We have an offense that scores TDs on 2 of the first 3 drives the first 5 or 6 ballgames of the year coupled with a defense that is only allowing 14 +/- a game. Other teams will quit before they play us.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Normally the defense is ahead of the offense in the spring scrimmages. It will be interesting to see if the offense lights up the defense. Of course it depends on whether CNS allows that to happen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Alabama will have a top 10 offense (crazy) and a top 10 defense. I doubt that you will have a typical Saban top 3 defense statistically because the secondary is going to give up some yards and points while it works to figure things out, but by the time you play Auburn they will be very, very good.

Effectively, when you go into the playoffs I think that you will have a top 3 defense and a top 10 offense. The stats won't show it, but they will be playing like it at the time and that is all that matters.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think that Alabama will have a top 10 offense (crazy) and a top 10 defense. I doubt that you will have a typical Saban top 3 defense statistically because the secondary is going to give up some yards and points while it works to figure things out, but by the time you play Auburn they will be very, very good.

Effectively, when you go into the playoffs I think that you will have a top 3 defense and a top 10 offense. The stats won't show it, but they will be playing like it at the time and that is all that matters.
The good news -- is that I'm not sure what QBs on our schedule next year are going to really test our secondary. This may be the easiest schedule we've played in years. Mizzou and UT out of the East.....and Louisville, Citadel, Arkansas State and the Cajuns for Non Conference.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
In the early part of the season I think our offense may need to carry us since the secondary could get burned a few times. By the middle of the season hopefully the secondary will have enough experience to play a decent game.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
The good news -- is that I'm not sure what QBs on our schedule next year are going to really test our secondary. This may be the easiest schedule we've played in years. Mizzou and UT out of the East.....and Louisville, Citadel, Arkansas State and the Cajuns for Non Conference.
Not to mention that 4 SEC coaches are new, 2 more with one year. Bama needs to compete against itself...outside of Auburn, SEC Championship, Playoffs we won’t face anyone of the same quality.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It could be a record breaking performance on both sides of the ball next year..We have that kind talent stepping up into starting roles..

If Tua shows up every game like he did in the 2nd half of The NC Game..It just won't be fair for the rest of the NCAA

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I’m very excited about the potential of this year’s offense but I don’t really expect there to be a big drop off on defense at all.

Why?

Because we lose great players on that side every year. Yet for 9 straight years the Defense has finished in the Top 4 in Scoring Defense anyway..... including 2014 and 2010.

So I look for us to have a Top 4 Defense again and maybe a Top 10 Offense. If that happens we will have an insanely balanced team that is truely elite on both sides.

People’s hatred of Alabama is about to get racheted up even more!!!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think we are going to need it to be for the first half of the season unless or dbs are further along with gelling than most think.

But take note that the last time Bama fans were saying this was 2010 when we had a Heisman winner, a qb that had never lost a game, an elite receiver, and a pretty solid line.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Normally the defense is ahead of the offense in the spring scrimmages. It will be interesting to see if the offense lights up the defense. Of course it depends on whether CNS allows that to happen.

Pretty sure Coach Saban won't show all his cards this Spring. I look for both QB to get quality playing time. I look for all of our RB to get quality time. I expect our Defense to try different looks. If for no other reason than to make teams prepare for something we may not use. Last year nearly everyone we played seemed to play a lot of 8 man fronts to force Jalen to throw. If Jalen will spread his throws around, he want see the 8 man front every play. If Tua sees a 8 man front, he's planning to eat em alive. Our RB have the potential to be special this year.
On Offense... Special QBs, Special RBs, Special Receivers.
On Defense... SPEED and a good pass rush will pressure them into mistakes.
We lost a lot of great players, but the flip side to last years injury prone season is we have a Freshman, and Sophomore team with lots of experience.

Jury is still out on Special Teams.
What I would give for another Peter Kim, or Van Tiffin...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.